Upgrader's status of mind
Apr 25, 2011 at 11:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

codeninja

100+ Head-Fier
I was thinking that the reason why people upgrade is to find something that they don't have now.  I'm pretty content with my HD598 and D2000 combo to cover my music.  However, I thought today that it will be nice if there is a headphone that has the advantages of the two: smooth live sound with punches and treble clarity.  I don't know if there is such thing existing, but it's surely a dangerous mind, at least for my wallet.

Apr 26, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #4 of 17
Thunderpants :)  fast, accurate, punchy, good extension on low end, sorta small soundstage but not too small, blissful mids. Sort hard to drive but an mstage, or ld1+ do well as do the Cavelli CTH.  If TP to hard to get, ^ditto dt990

Apr 26, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #5 of 17
If there's anything with treble clarity and bass punch it's the DT990 600ohm.  Best get a tube amp to subdue that treble though.  With a tube amp the treble actually isn't too bad at all, and the beyers turn more or less into emphasizing cymbals etc moreso than the normal, which can cause for a greater illusion of treble detail and separation/crispness.  It's actually quite nice.  I'm a low volume listener though, so my tolerance for super sparkly treble is probably way higher than the average high volume listener.

Apr 26, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #7 of 17

Quote:
If there's anything with treble clarity and bass punch it's the DT990 600ohm.  Best get a tube amp to subdue that treble though.  With a tube amp the treble actually isn't too bad at all, and the beyers turn more or less into emphasizing cymbals etc moreso than the normal, which can cause for a greater illusion of treble detail and separation/crispness.  It's actually quite nice.  I'm a low volume listener though, so my tolerance for super sparkly treble is probably way higher than the average high volume listener.

Yes I'm not sure they qualify for smooth...

Apr 26, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #8 of 17
The DT990 with all warm/smooth equipment would probably STILL be too sharp for many, lol.

I miss them though.

Upgrader's state of mind? Or do you mean LACK of? :D

The only thing I wanna 'upgrade' now is to get upcoming Schiit DAC to pair up with my Lyr. That's it... literally, I'm done. I might get the J$ V3 pads for my D7000 just cuz... not that I think they'll suit my tastes better, but I want more comfort out of the D7000's pads... the pleather just gets too damn hot at times. Other than that, I'm completely happy with my setup. After that, my focus is gonna shift onto my computer. I really only need to get a beefier GFX card and PSU. After that, it's time to recuperate. XD

Apr 26, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #9 of 17
Sounds to me, like the Audez'e LCD2 would be right up your alley!  Once you read up on them, you will have no choice but to buy!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 26, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #10 of 17

Quote:
Sounds to me, like the Audez'e LCD2 would be rght up your alley!  Once you read up on them, you will have no choice but to buy!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Not to mention, hearing them (as I have).  
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #11 of 17
Sounds to me, like the Audez'e LCD2 would be rght up your alley!  Once you read up on them, you will have no choice but to buy!
very_evil_smiley.gif

I dunno if you're talking to me, but everything I've read of the LCD2 makes me NOT wanna have them, actually. Less treble than the D7000 = hell no.

Apr 26, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:
I dunno if you're talking to me, but everything I've read of the LCD2 makes me NOT wanna have them, actually. Less treble than the D7000 = hell no.

Actually, that post was directed at the OP.  As you have stated in the past M.L.E. less treble does not equate to an enjoyable sound for you.
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #15 of 17

Users who are viewing this thread

Back