Upgradeitis has struck again! Help!
Sep 28, 2009 at 3:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

kb1gra

100+ Head-Fier
So I thought I was totally content with my setup, HD580s, Edirol UA5 USB interface, Mini3 amp.

Then I found Head-fi.

Since coming to the forums a couple weeks ago, I've purchased THREE new pairs of headphones, and am currently lusting after a fourth.

I can get either the Audio Technica ATH-ESW9 ($277) or the Beyerdynamic 770 250/600 ohm. I made the mistake of reading the MANUFAKTUR thread and am having dreams about an all white 770 with crimson leather headband. Swoon.
L3000.gif
Price would be ~$371.

My question is, considering that I listen to mostly electronic/industrial from decent but not great sources (a lot of 256kbps vinyl rips due to the rarity of some of these tracks) would I notice substantially better sound using these instead of my current stable which is:

Senn HD580
ATH-M50s
Shure SRH440
Shure SRH840

I am lusting to spend some money but I can only justify it if it really is an upgrade, and I'm not just buying some new pretty headphones
dt880smile.png

Any thoughts?

Sep 28, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #3 of 16
It's so addictive, I can't stop!

Sep 28, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #4 of 16
Try to ignore it. Ignore it.

Ignore! Ignore! Ignore!

Leave, now!

Sep 28, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #6 of 16
kb1gra,

seriously now,if you are satisfied with your headphones,just stay there and enjoy the music.I know that it's nice to buy new cans,but i think your headphones are good enough.(never tested srh 440/840,ath m50,but i've heard they are good enough,and the 580 is fine,too)

Just spend some more time with your headphones,and in the future you can buy something else if you are not satisfied anymore.

Sep 28, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #8 of 16
Agreed. And judging by this thread, you can sell the ATH-M50, since you also have the SRH840. And since the latter should be much better than the SRH440, you might just as well sell that headphone. But other than maybe selling these two, I wouldn't buy any new headphones. If anything, invest in new and better source components. That, considering you already have a very heavy source-dependant headphone (the HD580), will ultimately have more impact than buying new headphones every month.

Seriously, maybe you could sell one or two headphones, but at least you should stop buying new ones for a while.
smile.gif

Sep 28, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #9 of 16
I sold the 440 today, actually. I think my upgradeitis is tending towards buying a DAC at this point. I am thinking about an ibasso D2+ to use instead of my UA5 which was really cannibalized from a stereo setup and wasn't meant for what I'm using it for.

Thanks for the words of sense, everyone
o2smile.gif

Sep 28, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #10 of 16
just get ya wallet out and stop dithering!!!!

Sep 28, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #11 of 16
Yeah, I would keep your two favorite headphones and sell of the rest, then think about working on your upstream components (amp/DAC) before buying more headphones.

Sep 28, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #13 of 16
Two options.

Option 1
Stop reading, start listening.
Keep the headphones you use the most.
Only come back if you find there's something lacking in the sound, that despetately needs approving.

Option 2.
Keep feeding your curiosity.
Spend lots of money.
Find pleasure in comparing, reading and writing about your findings.

Both are valid options.
(I'd choose option 1.)

Sep 28, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #14 of 16
With option 2 there's less time for actual listening, though. Keep that in mind.

Sep 29, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd also cut down on headphones and invest more money into source/amp.

The HD580 and SRH840 seems like a great pairing, a "best" of both worlds.

I think that i am kinda of in the same place like i have two really good headphones i love. The ALO-780J for the hip hop and the double bass drums in the hardcore i listen to and the HF2 for everything else. But i think that i am going to invest in upgrading my home amp next and then seeing maybe about a better source. Just to see how that will change the SQ.

That and i just cant afford any headphones that i would consider an upgrade to whatever i have lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back