Upgrade Meier Audio StageDac - help me choose my new DAC at any price
Jan 17, 2012 at 8:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

PedroH

100+ Head-Fier

I want to buy a world class DAC and I do not have budget restrictions up to 10.000 USD.

My current office system is:
- MacBookAir with Decibel serving AppleLossless files, including some 96KHz 24bit high resolution files
- Audiophilleo 1 (USB-SPDIF transport)
- Meier StageDac (the DAC to be upgraded)
- Meier Concerto (the headphone amp)
- Ultimate Silver Dream interconnects

I mainly listen to pop, progressive, rock and hardrock and then a bit of every gender (classical is probably the least played genre).

What DAC would you choose and why?

Jan 17, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #2 of 9
You might wan t o check out this month's stereophile comparing the Weiss, Bricasti and DCS. They liked the Bricasti soundwise the best. But not clear that running it through the concerto to a T1 is worth the moolah. Maybe there is more to upgrade?

Jan 17, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #3 of 9
What are your requirements?  Inputs?  Outputs?  Headphone amp built in?  Upsampling (defeatable?)?  Preamp functionality?  Remote?

Jan 18, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
You might wan t o check out this month's stereophile comparing the Weiss, Bricasti and DCS. They liked the Bricasti soundwise the best. But not clear that running it through the concerto to a T1 is worth the moolah. Maybe there is more to upgrade?

Thanks for the Stereophile tip! It's exactly the kind of information I was looking for.

And yes, after upgrading the DAC I will have to update the amp later this year.

Jan 18, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
What are your requirements?  Inputs?  Outputs?  Headphone amp built in?  Upsampling (defeatable?)?  Preamp functionality?  Remote?

Inputs = at least USB
Outputs = at least RCA
Headphone amp built in = nice to have but not a requisite
Upsampling = nice to have but not a requisite. Do not know what you mean with "defeatable"
Preamp = nice to have but not a requisite
Remote = nice to have but not a requisite

Having said this, this DAC will be the cornerstone os a series of upgrades so I can flexible on the requisites and upgrade all the other components on the system to match this state-of-the-art DAC.

I am looking for unconstrained advise.

Jan 18, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #6 of 9
I've heard really good things about the Weiss DAC 202.

No USB, but you have your Audiophilleo 1, or you could get a thunderbolt to fire wire adapter ... or the Air has the optical out (though I don't know its quality). 

Unfortunately I have not heard it first person to comment on it meaningfully except to point you towards it, and hope someone else has some useful experience with it. 

Jan 21, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
It was mentioned at another forum, the "new" Weiss DAC 202 has USB.

Thanks for the tip on the Weiss upgrade, now it's certainly on my short list.

Jan 21, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #9 of 9
Any opinion on the McIntosh MCD1100?
XL_MCD1100_D.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back