Upgrade ideas from Denon AH-D2000 ?
Sep 6, 2012 at 7:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

alpha10

100+ Head-Fier
I've had my D2000 for quite a while, but I have considered getting something else, since I would like something a little more portable, and efficient enough for an iPod Touch 4G unamped (for now, at least).

Any ideas? I listen to both pop, rock, jazz and classical, so I need something that does everything right (just like the D2000) :)

Price range max 400 Euro :)

Thanks

Sep 6, 2012 at 8:20 AM Post #2 of 7
Heya,

What do you mean by portable? Do you mean smaller? Folds up? All headphones are portable if you're willing to carry them. I for one use a Beyer DT770 600ohm with aftermarket short sleaved detachable cable as a portable, even though it doesn't look or sound like a portable, but it's a tank and it can survive being stuffed into a messenger bag and it's impedance actually doesn't make it hard to drive with portable amplifiers. But I'm silly like that.

First thing that comes to mind for you is maybe a Vmoda M80 or a Shure SRH840 or AKG K550.

Very best,

Sep 6, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
Yeah, foldable would be nice, but it seems impossible for the sound quality I would like.
Maybe it would be best to have 2nd headphone for travelling?

Heya,

Depends on your needs/budget. If you already really love the D2000, there's no reason to let it go or change up. It's easier to simply have a travel headphone. Ultrasone HFI 780, PRO 750, Vmoda M80, ESW9A, Shure SRH750 DJ, etc, would be good starts to look at.

Very best,

Sep 6, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #5 of 7
I also have and love the D2000.  However, I am not willing to carry them or any other full sized can around for portable use.  I got myself a pair of Westone 3 IEMs for portable use and they sound great straight out of my iPhone.  At first I didn't like them as much as my Denons, but I have come to enjoy the sound of both of them.  For me, IEMs are the way to go for a portable solution.  They isolate better than any full sized can I have used (great for subway/air travel), don't require any extra equipment to sound good, and are extremely portable.  However, they may not fit as comfortably for you as they do for me.  I don't have any comfort issues with my W3, even after prolonged use.

Of course, I can understand if you are only looking for something full sized.  I am just offering an alternative that I found.

Sep 6, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #6 of 7
I agree that IEMs are easier to carry, but I really don't like to stick those things into my ear, I had a couple in the past, but they are not comfortable for me, ideal size are the B&W P3, but they sound really bad in my opinion, very dark sound, the treble is gone, but the form factor, foldability and price is perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back