Upgrade from UE700 to UE900 worth it?
Mar 24, 2014 at 6:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

alexm23

100+ Head-Fier
Is upgrading from a UE700 to a UE900 worth it, or should I just stick with the UE700? I listen to drum 'n' bass so my main priorities are subbass extension and detail/clarity, but bass quantity is not important (I think UE700 has enough quantity). Good mids and highs are appreciated of course but aren't the number 1 priority. Would the UE900 give clearer bass, and what about it's competitors, the W4R and SE535? I'm asking because the UE900 is 300 on Amazon right now.

Mar 25, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #2 of 6
Thanks for the helpful feedback and information everyone, I ordered a UE900 dented box for $250 from Logitech so I'll let all of you know what my impressions are once I get them. Thanks again!

Mar 30, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #4 of 6
I've had both and think the UE900 is quite an upgrade over a single TWFK headphone, no matter how nice they tuned it - The UE900 is a great phone - it does a lot of things very well - to get a nice unbiased view of the UE900 and its technology, read Rin Choi's blog....

He also has some thoughts on the 700 - take a peek.

http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/search/label/Ultimate%20Ears

Apr 1, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #5 of 6
  I've had both and think the UE900 is quite an upgrade over a single TWFK headphone, no matter how nice they tuned it - The UE900 is a great phone - it does a lot of things very well - to get a nice unbiased view of the UE900 and its technology, read Rin Choi's blog....

He also has some thoughts on the 700 - take a peek.

http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/search/label/Ultimate%20Ears

I read some of those posts, his investigation on the pinhole bore of the UE900 is really well written. I don't have experience in audio engineering but I was still able to understand his findings pretty well. People like him who can make extremely advanced concepts accessible to average people tend to be very successful.

EDIT: Oh, and as for further impressions of the UE900, I still haven't had much time to listen to them yet, but the biggest difference I've noticed is that I'm starting to hear things in songs that I didn't hear on the UE700. The overall frequency response seems about to be the same between the two--the bass, mid, and treble are at the same relative level on both models. The UE700 is a lot more comfortable since it's smaller, but the UE900 isn't too difficult to seal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back