Upgrade from Sennheiser HD25-1 II
May 22, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #16 of 28

Quote:
SRH840's do perfectly fine unamped. The dt1350s are also a great option but i doubt theyre different enough to merit having both... The 840's are very laid back smooth and silky which is a stark contrast to the hd25's in a good way. It's nice to be able to have two completely different headphones sometimes, makes you appreciate them more. I really want a pair of something that's the complete opposite of all my Shures and I'm thinking the HD25 or DT1350 would fit the bill perfectly.

I'm going to sell the Sennheisers, so the headhpones I'm looking for is a replacement, not an extra to compliment my current headphones. I already have the Beyerdynamic DT880 (250 ohms) for home use.

May 22, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #17 of 28
Oh, well then even in that case, the 840's are a stark contrast to those as well. The dt880's are a lot brighter, they have a little less bass and aren't quite as silky. The 840's almost sound like a closed version of hd600's to me.

May 22, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #18 of 28
Honestly speaking, I think you'll be looking forever. The HD25-1's may have a somewhat sandpapery sound, but you're not going to get a huge upgrade in terms of phones that satisfies the requirements of a truly portable phone.

The only 'real' upgrade IMO is to save up for a pair of 3/4-driver customs. Or at worst, similar generics. Granted, very poor sonic 'bang for the buck' in comparison to the HD25-1, but it will be an upgrade, and careful choice will satisfy your requirements. Anything else is more often than not likely to be just a swim in the same ballpark as the Senns. e.g. I do like the SRH840 and they're fine unamped, but I feel it's considerably less practical a phone than the Senns as portables.

May 22, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #19 of 28

Quote:

LOL, I like that sentence! :) Weird enough, it seems Ultrasone is more popular in the US than in Germany, hehe.

However, any Ultrasone will not be an upgrade for this demand: "neutral sounding headphones (sometimes the Sennheisers seemed to add some coloration to the midrange, which I did not care for)"

Of the ones I've heard, my favorite Ultrasones are my HFI-680, and it's because I find them to be pretty neutral, especially compared to the HFI-780, Pro 750, and to a lesser degree, the Pro 650. I also used to have the HD 25-1 II, and found the HFI-680 to be more accurate. I liked the HD 25, but my issues were with bass response seeming inconsistent and slightly distorted depending on clamping force/positioning, and the harsher, moderately ragged highs/upper mids. The was a bit of a midrange recess, which reminded me a bit of the Denon AH-D2000 I used to have. The HFI-680 is better in this regard. 

May 22, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #20 of 28

Quote:
Of the ones I've heard, my favorite Ultrasones are my HFI-680, and it's because I find them to be pretty neutral, especially compared to the HFI-780, Pro 750, and to a lesser degree, the Pro 650. I also used to have the HD 25-1 II, and found the HFI-680 to be more accurate. I liked the HD 25, but my issues were with bass response seeming inconsistent and slightly distorted depending on clamping force/positioning, and the harsher, moderately ragged highs/upper mids. The was a bit of a midrange recess, which reminded me a bit of the Denon AH-D2000 I used to have. The HFI-680 is better in this regard. 

hmm. Sound remains subjective and everyone heard differently I guess. I owned HFI-680 and HD-25 at the same time also (and still own HD-25) but to be honest I felt the Ultrasones weren't even in the same league. 680 seemed very untransparent compared to HD-25. HD-25 is indeed more forward, could be harsher, 680 were more comfortable though.

May 22, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #21 of 28

Quote:
hmm. Sound remains subjective and everyone heard differently I guess. I owned HFI-680 and HD-25 at the same time also (and still own HD-25) but to be honest I felt the Ultrasones weren't even in the same league. 680 seemed very untransparent compared to HD-25. HD-25 is indeed more forward, could be harsher, 680 were more comfortable though.

Ha, yeah, hearing and enjoyment is a subjective thing, IMO skewed by perception and physical differences. Comfort too! I found the HD 25-1 II more comfortable than the HFI-680. We can offer our recommendations, but it's important the OP has a chance to compare for himself. I consider buying and selling headphones a natural progression in finding the right sound. 

May 23, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #22 of 28
I'm leaning more towards the DT1350 right now. From what I've read, they seem to be exactly what I'm looking for. My only concern is that my portable player would have a hard time driving them. So I'm reconsidering the portable amp. Maybe I should invest in a portable amp that would work well for all my future portable phones. What is there to recommend for another $300?

May 23, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #23 of 28
I have the DT 1350 and I think they might be right up your alley. Although I must say that I don't listen to any of your preferred musical genres. To my big ears these cans are neutral, very detailed and have tight/fast bass.

As for the portable amps: a headfi'er recommended me the headstage arrow. It's very small and it has a bass boost button to give the bass a bit more weight. And that could be a great asset imo, especially for the music you like.

May 23, 2011 at 4:35 AM Post #24 of 28

Quote:
Ha, yeah, hearing and enjoyment is a subjective thing, IMO skewed by perception and physical differences. Comfort too! I found the HD 25-1 II more comfortable than the HFI-680. We can offer our recommendations, but it's important the OP has a chance to compare for himself. I consider buying and selling headphones a natural progression in finding the right sound. 

exactly
If you buy something you don't like (enough), you can easily resell without losing much value, at our FS section. And you've learned a bit more about matching your own sound preference

May 23, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #26 of 28
Just ordered the DT1350
smile.gif
. Now all I need is an amp...

May 23, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #28 of 28
Upgrading from the HD 25-1.....

There's not much - I think the only one I would personally look at is the new Beyer T-5p.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back