Upgrade from S4s.
Apr 19, 2011 at 8:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Alondite

100+ Head-Fier
I've had my Klipsch S4s for about 2 years now, and I think I'm ready to upgrade. My budget is still pretty strict, but I'd be willing to spend $150 on a new pair, $200 at the upper limit.

I like the S4s, but bass is quite a bit too much, it's like listening underwater at times. That's easily fixed with a bass reducing EQ though. The quality of the bass is pretty suspect though. It's less punchy, more...bloated and imprecise than I would like I suppose.

The mids sound good on some songs. I listen to primarily rock, and occasionally I get some nice, smooth and textured mids that I like, but they seem very song-specific (Chevelle in particular. The guitar about 10 seconds into "Straight Jacket Fashion" is the kind of texture I'm talking about). That being said, I like natural, textured mids.

I love my highs, and the S4s are pretty serviceable for the most part, but some of the highs, like cymbals, and things like "S" sounds in the vocals get very sibilant, which I do not like.

The S4s really don't have much in the way of soundstage either. More would be nice, but I know that would be tough considering my budget.

Anyone have any suggestions that I should consider? Thanks.

Apr 19, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #2 of 11
If you don't need a lot of isolation, try looking into Radius DDM. The new FutureSonics Atrio (MG7) is another IEM that does a lot of thing right, but it really has a very strong bass. I consider both of these to be upgrade of S4. Both are great bang of buck and fits into your budget.

Apr 20, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #3 of 11
The DDM's would probably be great for me, but I worry a little about the fit and isolation. I think the FutureSonics would be a bit too bassy for me.

I don't so much have a sound signature that I prefer per se. I would -like- to acclimate to an "accurate" sound, so I've looked into a few of Etymotic's IEMs. The descriptions of the RE0's sound seems appealing, as does their price point.

I guess what I was trying to describe with my preference was more of a live sound. Tight and fast, raw. Not overly aggressive and forward though. I like some depth and decay. Heh, writing this now it seems like I like contradicting types of sound, but it is what it is.

Apr 20, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #4 of 11
accuracy can take different form. RE0 will be great if you like detail and can accept a lower bass volume. Don't get the Etymotic MC5 though, it just isn't that good. You budget is just right for the VSONIC GR07. It is tuned as stage monitor and has a fairly versatile sound. It fits into what you are looking for as well.

Apr 20, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #5 of 11
Yeah I'm not too concerned with bass. I feel like bass is the easiest to control with EQ if I really need more or less. I'm more concerned with the quality of the bass rather than the quantity. So no-go on the MC5, got it. Does that go for the MC3 too? And how are the HF5? I'll look into the VSONICS.

Thanks a lot. You've been a big help thus far.

Apr 20, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #6 of 11
MC3 shares the same driver as MC5. HF5 should prove to be better value for money than either of the MC series.

Apr 21, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #7 of 11
Well, after reading up on the VSONICS they definitely seem like what I'm looking for. Only issue seems to be finding a place to buy them. That and deciding whether I want a new pair of IEMs, or keeping my S4s for mobile listening and getting a set of full-sized cans.

Apr 21, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #8 of 11
lendmeurears.com has it in stock. If you are in Singapore, Jaben also carries it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back