Upgrade from RE0, disliked HD 25-1 II ~$200
Apr 9, 2011 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

mLink

New Head-Fier
Sorry to create a new thread for this, but my budget, situation and preferences have changed since my last one.

Current headphones and my dislikes about them:
RE0 - rough metal scrapes my ear, thin sounding, sloppy bass when it's there, the cables tie themselves in knots...microphonics.  
frown.gif

HD25 - Too much sound pressure, too much clamping force, makes my ears hot (w/ velour pads), very sibilant and fatiguing.
I currently use a pair of RE0 at work, but the ridged metal hurts my ears, especially with how much I have to re-insert them every day.

I'm looking for an upgrade to the RE0 with great mids and decent (non-bloated) bass.  I don't mind if the treble is rolled off a little, or the sound is slightly warm.  I mainly listen to rock (all kinds), and some hip-hop.  Instrumental separation and soundstage are major bonuses.

Any good fun, mid-centric IEMs for <$200?

Thanks everyone.

Apr 9, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #2 of 12
Just saw in the deals thread that Monster Turbine Pro Coppers are in the outlet for $99.
Also, I've seen Shure 215's at earphonesolutions.com for $99 w/ 15% off.
Should I return my hd25 and get the turbines or shures?  Would either of them suit me?

Apr 9, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #3 of 12
you could try the sw-xcape v1 i personally love their sound
Turbine coppers for $99? link please. i say you should get those considering they are normally around $400
but ive heard good things also in fischer audio phones like silver bullets(fun) and dba-02(balanced)

Apr 9, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #4 of 12
SE215 and the MTPC both share very distinctively different sound signature from the RE0. They are both warmer and fuller, with the 215 having it in its mids and the MTPC has a strong and thick bass.

On a side note, MTPC for $99 gotta be a scam. I don't think even an 'outlet' would slash more than 75% of its price. Outlets tend to just mean that you don't have to pay for the import/export/transportation fees for its goods.

Apr 9, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #5 of 12
I'm not necessarily attached to the sound signature of the re0, warmer and fuller sounds like what I may be after.

The outlet is monster's official one from their main site. It's $99 for refurbished turbine gold and copper.

Apr 9, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
I'm not necessarily attached to the sound signature of the re0, warmer and fuller sounds like what I may be after.

The outlet is monster's official one from their main site. It's $99 for refurbished turbine gold and copper.

Have you tried your RE0 with real sony hybrid tips yet?

Also, some of the problems you mention with the RE0's can be minimized but are inherent with IEM's in general.  

Apr 9, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #7 of 12
Except I consider the Shure house signature and the MTPC on the other side of scale -- especially the MTPC.
tongue.gif

Ah, now I see it. Well, if you want to try something different, the MTPC is definitely very unique as a top-tier IEM. Coming from the RE0, it might be shocking in a nice way (though at first listen from RE0 to MTPC, I bet you'll call the bass 'bloated'). On the other hand, with the SE215, I don't think Shure IEMs are worth getting till the 315 or 425 -- not in comparison with the RE0 anyway.

On the other hand, since the Golds are offered in such pricing as well, I believe you'd find a nicer IEM in the MTPG instead of the MTPC.

Apr 10, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #8 of 12
The bold part is like a 50-word summary to the RE-262

Quote:

I'm looking for an upgrade to the RE0 with great mids and decent (non-bloated) bass.  I don't mind if the treble is rolled off a little, or the sound is slightly warm.  I mainly listen to rock (all kinds), and some hip-hop.  Instrumental separation and soundstage are major bonuses.

Any good fun, mid-centric IEMs for <$200?

Thanks everyone.

Apr 10, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #9 of 12
My suggestion as well.  Microphonics do not disturb me as much as other people but yes it was apparent in my RE-Zero.  Very much less now with the RE-262s (thicker cable).  Never tried the RE0 but if they are similar to the RE-Zero you will be in for a treat with the RE-262 which is the younger brother with more punch at the low- and mid- ranges.  

Check out these previous posts for other good choices:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-160-iems-compared-denon-ah-c360-h2o-surge-pro-added-04-04
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/476315/top-tier-universal-iem-comparison-chart-frequency-response-charts-discussion

Quote:
The bold part is like a 50-word summary to the RE-262

Apr 10, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #10 of 12
murano - Yes, I've tried them with real sony hybrid tips.  In fact, that's what's on them now.  I suppose I was just in a sour mood when I started this thread.  The sound of the RE0 is enjoyable, I just would like a bit thicker involving sound.  It's the rough metal ridges that I dislike, everything else I can live with.

Thanks for the input guys.

Sounds like it's getting narrowed down to RE-262 and Shure 315.
Any other suggestions?

Apr 10, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #11 of 12
HD25 sibilant? RE0 thin sloppy bass? Sounds like your problem isn't your headphones but perhaps your source? My RE0 (medium single flange) has punchy, tight bass and my HD25 (stock pads) is anything but sibilant. :) What kind of source are you using? 

Apr 10, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #12 of 12
Maybe sibilant is the wrong term, in pretty new to the whole headphone thing. Its highs are very shrill and fatiguing, like some notes make me squint my eyes and cringe a bit. I need to edit my first post about the re0, the bass isn't sloppy, but lacking, and does not have good extension to me.
My source is sansa clip+ with flac files and 320kbs lame mp3s. I've also tried them on my ipod classic and my computer, through the ipod I could tell the source was lacking, but on the clip and computer it felt like the headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back