Upgrade from O2 amp?
Jun 15, 2013 at 5:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Strider99

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for upgrade from O2 amp. But, since there are too many positive comments about O2, it's hard to find which amp actually can be upgrade from O2.

I think of $200-300 SS amp, maybe Asgard2, but not sure. Do you have any recommend?

Jun 15, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:
I'm looking for upgrade from O2 amp. But, since there are too many positive comments about O2, it's hard to find which amp actually can be upgrade from O2.

I think of $200-300 SS amp, maybe Asgard2, but not sure. Do you have any recommend?

The O2 is a neutral amplifier, so what improvements do you want in an upgrade? Unless you're looking for that warm, tube-sound, or some other form of non-neutral sound, spending $300 or $30,000 won't buy anything with less audible distortion.

Jun 15, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
It would help to state which headphones you are going to be using and what types of music.

Cans are Q701 and HD650. My favorite music is rock, but I enjoy almost all genres.

The O2 is a neutral amplifier, so what improvements do you want in an upgrade? Unless you're looking for that warm, tube-sound, or some other form of non-neutral sound, spending $300 or $30,000 won't buy anything with less audible distortion.

I prefer neutral sound to warm. O2 is a really nice neutral amplifer, but I'm not sure if O2 is the best neutral amplifier.

*edit
I mean, the best in terms of sound resolution, soundstage, etc.

Jun 15, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I prefer neutral sound to warm. O2 is a really nice neutral amplifer, but I'm not sure if O2 is the best neutral amplifier.

*edit
I mean, the best in terms of sound resolution, soundstage, etc.

All neutral amplifiers have the same resolution, soundstage, etc. That's what neutral means: They amplify the input without distorting the sound. They may and do differ on inputs, outputs, power, size, convenience and other things.

While I'm a fan of the O2, there are many other fine, neutral amplifiers. None of them sound better than the others (assuming neutral is what the listener wants.)

Jun 15, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #7 of 9
Given your budget and the fact you own a HD650 phone, have to say look at a Bottlehead Crack. A lot of people say that is the best amp for the 650 at any price period. Not solid state and it is a kit, but if you really want the best you can get for $300, that is going to be close.

Jun 16, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
I know Bottlehead Crack is very popular among HD650 users, but what about with K701? Does it synergize well with it?

Funny you should say that, I don't know bout the 701 but I was just on their website the other day and someone had posted that it sounded really good on their K501. I don't know what the differences are between the 501 and 701 but at least one person liked it with their AKG..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back