Upgrade from my modded portapro's
Mar 11, 2011 at 8:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

chrislangley4253

Headphoneus Supremus
Okay, I started off with Maximo iM-590's and I loved the bass heavy sound sig. Then, i moved on to stock portapro's and I loved the more open yet still aggressive sound. Then, I modified my Portapro's and this is the soundsig that I have enjoyed the most. The main thing I changed was adding some reversed HD414 pads and doing a Kramer mod. I really enjoy the increased brightness and neutrality. Basically, I'm looking for suggestions on the high end of the audio spectrum that would match my improved tastes.. I really like the sound signature that I get out of my modded pro's but high fidelity. The main brands I have been looking at would be Grado & Sennheiser. Do you think I'd prefer the more aggressive Grado's or the more laid back Sennheisers or something in-between? I really dig how comfortable the Senn's seem. Perhaps something in between the two brands? I really dig the open sound so I think I would prefer open to closed but I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks so much for looking at my thread, I'll upload my music tastes and a few pics of my modded pros if anyone wants to look :)

I'm into rock, indie, electronic, alternative and punk, including:
Nine Inch Nails, Enter Shikari, Minus the Bear, Gorillaz, MGMT, Rancid, The Beatles, Justice, Modest Mouse, Stars, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Daft Punk, Oasis, CAKE, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Reel Big Fish, Uffie, Led Zeppelin, BAMF!, Nirvana, The Aquabats, The Polish Ambassador, Violent Femmes, Rage Against the Machine, At the Drive-In, Moby, Ramones, Sleigh Bells, Dead Kennedys, Pixies, Explosions in the Sky, The Mars Volta, They Might Be Giants, Bloc Party, Poison the Well, Bone Thugs-N-Harmony, Beastie Boys, Lostprophets, Moneen, The Killers, Saskrotch, Broken Bells, Pink Floyd, Yeasayer, The Kills, Sonic Youth, Mogwai, Why?, The Avalanches, Built by snow. i have 648 artists in my library right now. I can get it all in FLAC but right now I'm using v0 because of limited HD size.

Check out my music taste: http://www.last.fm/user/Langley65

P.S. I'm expecting to buy a Dac and a Desktop amp to go along with whichever phones I end up getting. But, it would be nice if they sounded decent for the while that it would take me to save up the money to do so. 

P.P.S. I know the best way to determine which i like is to hear them all, but unfortunately I live in the middle of nowhere. I intend to take your suggestions and then listen and then buy accordingly. I just want a good starting point. Thanks again for any responses.

Mar 11, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #2 of 28
If you love open and aggressive then look no further than Grado. I've listened to a lot of what is on your list and my Grados do really great with much of it.

Mar 11, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #3 of 28

Quote:
If you love open and aggressive then look no further than Grado. I've listened to a lot of what is on your list and my Grados do really great with much of it.

I REALLY just need to get my hands on a pair. I definitely like open and I definitely like bright, but I'm not sure about their "aggressive" nature. I think I lean more towards neutrality than aggressiveness (one of the main reasons I modded my pro's). I need a meet in the St. Louis area :p That or I could just buy an entry level pair of grado's to get a feel for the sound signature.

Mar 16, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #6 of 28
It depends on the model, obviously. Alessandro's are great bang-for-buck cans though, and have that same in your face sound as a Grado. Lots o' mods available too!

Mar 18, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #8 of 28
grado 60's, then mod them. See Bill's thread

Mar 18, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #11 of 28

Quote:
Am I the only one suggesting Shure? Anyways, I think their bassier models will fit your needs just fine, although Grado will by no means disappoint you

I like bass, but I don't want it to dominate the music by any means. I feel like the stock PP's have too much of a bloated sound if that helps you get a better feeling of what I like. Its becoming obvious that I really just need to listen to a few headphones somehow.

Mar 18, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #12 of 28
however, its nice when a headphone can reproduce the lower ends well. I'm just more worried about accurate and shiny highs and mids that are very present as well. Basically, fun, but balanced :)

Mar 18, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #13 of 28
Disregard my post, acquire Grados
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #14 of 28
I'm leaning towards a pair of Fischer's now :D Okay, and a pair of Grado's lets be honest.. but the Fischer's first. They sound directly up my alley for a good price. Balanced but not lacking oomph.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back