Upgrade from Klipsch S4 to AKG K3003 or...?
Feb 20, 2012 at 1:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

betoni

New Head-Fier
Hi there headfiers

Need some help to choose a new IEM preferably. I don't like to wear headphones over long period of time and also don't want any sound leakage to speak of. My current in use are klipsch s4, and have owned sennheiser mx 880/mx 980, sunrise as charm and as feeling but they all had too much leakage and some were uncomfortable. And have listened to different headphones in shops including Sennheiser range up top hd 650. I currently use youtube a lot to hear music, so the IEMs need to handle other formats than flac.. Musicpreference is mostly pop and rock but also some trash and death-metal and classic music. No techno, dubstep or electronica. Don't want much headphone signature to the music, want it "raw", but it depends on.Klipsh s4 has to much lowend and sibilance, and mx980 are somewhat mellow, lush and soft. Pricepoint are 70 ~600$.., but are able to go to 1000$ even 1500$ if that is needed. Though my experience with higher priced stereo hi-fi is that it can always be better, you are somehow never satisfied until you have the band itself in your own livingroom. And I seriosly don't want to end at the asylum bitten by the upgrade virus. I more likely want to do it right the first time. Maybe I also need some source gear? Some suggestions for headphones and eventually gear if that is needed?

In short:

IEM preferably, for mostly pop and rock, rigid, works for "all" formats (youtube), satisfied longterm (years), prefer mostly uncoloured sound, comfortable for long periods, don't leak sound outward at medium level, sleepable, works with laptop, good with complex/fast  music, discrete (no pink cable..),  helps my mood/ enjoyment/ energy, from trusted company, price 70$ - 600$ but can go to 1000/1500$ if that will add much.

Feb 20, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #3 of 7
CIEMs are cheaper and 'safer' bet. K3003s are rather..  expensive.

Owh look at Final Audio Design FI-BASS if you are looking at universal fit ones. Absolutely haunting tonal control and wonderful sounding bass.

But vote for best 'sleepable' IEM??   Phonak Audeo PFE232. Fark, they're insanely comfortable and low-profile. You wont feel them at all once they're in. Replaceable cables, with smartphone controls. Sleek and beautiful yet never too loud. 500 bux mate. I think this is it for you. The K3003 is too much of a gamble for too little of a gain. Don't spend more than 600

Feb 20, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #4 of 7
If you want a universal that has the closest sound to a custom (to my ears and a few others), I would suggest that you investigate the Aurisonics ASG-1. It's also currently one of the best values on the market for a "top tier" universal.

Feb 20, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
In short:

IEM preferably, for mostly pop and rock, rigid, works for "all" formats (youtube), satisfied longterm (years), prefer mostly uncoloured sound, comfortable for long periods, don't leak sound outward at medium level, sleepable, works with laptop, good with complex/fast  music, discrete (no pink cable..),  helps my mood/ enjoyment/ energy, from trusted company, price 70$ - 600$ but can go to 1000/1500$ if that will add much.

I can't see spending more than $100 for listening from youtube.
Just me.

Feb 21, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #7 of 7
Of course it's ok to shun the K3003 based on their price tag alone, but let me add my 2c from someone who's actually heard them and uses them on a regular basis. To my ears they sound better overall than everything else, including the PFE232, FI-BA-SS (close call though) and the customs (UERM) and custom demos (UE11, JH13) I've heard. The difference is pretty significant if I listen on low volume and slightly less so at higher levels (which I rarely do).

The K3003s cost about the same as most high end customs here in Europe (I actually payed more for my UERMs), so in my book their price/performance ratio isn't out of touch with the real world. They're also easier to use and more convenient than my customs. The only downside to me so far are non-detachable cables that don't inspire all that much confidence for daily use on the move, but at least they're backed by a two year warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back