Upgrade from JVC HA-RX700/900
Mar 6, 2010 at 5:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

hans030390

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking about upgrading from my JVC HA-RX700/900s (both are modded). I really do love them quite a bit, but I figure I could still get something better.

I'm very used to my car audio system (DIY) and home audio system, and I don't believe headphones will ever truly match the performance of a nice pair of speakers and subwoofer (balanced, of course). That said, I am looking for something that is accurate, detailed, etc, yet fun, engaging, and warm sounding at the same time. I mostly listen to metal (ex: Opeth), but also enjoy bands such as Radiohead (Kid-A and newer).

It's no fun if the music sounds sloppy due to it being a "slow" headphone or having too much bass, but it's also no fun if I don't get the lower frequencies accurately reproduced either. See, I believe most people on Head-Fi mislabel lacking bass as "tight" bass. Every time I hear a "tight"-bass headphone, it's quite obviously just lacking bass to me. But, as I said, I'm used to having dedicated drivers for specific frequency spectrums. A single driver used in headphones has understandable compromises.

As mentioned, I love my JVC HA-RX700/900s. However, I'm looking for something that just sounds more refined overall. I also owned the SR-60s before, but they were way too harsh for me and definitely lacked bass. I also didn't like that they were open.

I've been doing some research, and I've been interested in the ATH-M50 headphones. They're priced well, and apparently sound very good. Does anyone know how they compare to the HA-RX700/900 headphones? Any other suggestions in general? Something with a bit more bass would be nice.

I'd like to spend around $100, though could probably stretch to $150 if needed (but I REALLY don't want to). Any other suggestions? Sorry if it was a lot to read through.

Mar 6, 2010 at 6:08 AM Post #2 of 17
You're going to have a hard time bettering them without going the amplifier + headphone route. I sold my Denon D2000s after hearing the RX700s, of which I still listen too daily. ATH-M50 sounds like the right choice, Ultrasone HFI-780 would be a step up but for that you need an amp to fully appreciate.

Mar 6, 2010 at 6:57 AM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're going to have a hard time bettering them without going the amplifier + headphone route. I sold my Denon D2000s after hearing the RX700s, of which I still listen too daily. ATH-M50 sounds like the right choice, Ultrasone HFI-780 would be a step up but for that you need an amp to fully appreciate.

Ah. I'd prefer something portable that can be driven easily by an iPod Touch. However, I'm not necessarily opposed to getting a portable amp down the road as well.

Why did you sell your D2000s after hearing the RX700s?

Mar 6, 2010 at 7:28 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by hans030390 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah. I'd prefer something portable that can be driven easily by an iPod Touch. However, I'm not necessarily opposed to getting a portable amp down the road as well.

Why did you sell your D2000s after hearing the RX700s?

Well with a portable amp I would say M50 will do much better; majority of people like those because they're easy to power.

I sold my D2000s because the RX700s sounded better; overall better sound quality and positioning, bass on the D2000s while plentiful was sloppy... This in turn had me sell my Single Power SLAM and Burrbrown Squeezebox DAC; a $33 headphone beat a $1400 rig.
confused.gif

Mar 6, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #5 of 17
Woah man this is crazy.I was just about to post this same exact thread asking the same exact question looking for something in the same price bracket.Eerie.Anyway I was also wondering about the ATH-M50s myself and from what I've gathered they might be the right step up from the JVCs.Only thing I'm wondering is if the bass has more kick and depth and if the sound-stage is any better for gaming.I might just buy them from a place that has a good return policy.Either way If i buy them or end up finding anything more about them I'll share it here.

Mar 7, 2010 at 7:00 AM Post #6 of 17
I just decided to jump on the M50s. If I remember, I'll post how they compare on here if anyone's interested.

Mar 11, 2010 at 2:19 AM Post #8 of 17
Just got my ATH-M50s in. If you're looking for a more well-rounded headphone, these should satisfy you. They definitely have more bass and deeper, though they are a bit more laid back, IMO. Still, I think they are a more accurate headphone overall than the JVCs, and I would definitely recommend them if you have the money. I think they filled every criteria I wanted.

The only downside is that they aren't nearly as comfortable. I'll be stretching them out over night.

Mar 11, 2010 at 8:29 AM Post #9 of 17
Oh ok sounds good.Not sure if you play games on the pc or a console but if you do could you try out a comparison between the M-50 and the RX 900s?Thats the only thing keeping me from buying them now is not knowing if they sound as good with games as far as sound stage is concerned.

Mar 11, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoomD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh ok sounds good.Not sure if you play games on the pc or a console but if you do could you try out a comparison between the M-50 and the RX 900s?Thats the only thing keeping me from buying them now is not knowing if they sound as good with games as far as sound stage is concerned.

The JVCs have a bigger soundstage and more open sound, so they are probably better suited for gaming.

Mar 11, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well with a portable amp I would say M50 will do much better; majority of people like those because they're easy to power.

I sold my D2000s because the RX700s sounded better; overall better sound quality and positioning, bass on the D2000s while plentiful was sloppy... This in turn had me sell my Single Power SLAM and Burrbrown Squeezebox DAC; a $33 headphone beat a $1400 rig.
confused.gif

???

I tried the RX700's and I definitely found my Denon D1001's to be far superior...

Mar 11, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by nullstring /img/forum/go_quote.gif
???

I tried the RX700's and I definitely found my Denon D1001's to be far superior...

They're very different headphones, IMHO. The soundstage is better on the RX700, but the D1001's are more fun to me.

Mar 11, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #13 of 17
I couldn't overcome the stale feeling from the RX700's
no sweetness, veiled sounding..

Graphicism: how long did you need to listen to them to come to that conclusion?
I've never listened to the RX700 longer than an hour or so.

Mar 11, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by nullstring /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Graphicism: how long did you need to listen to them to come to that conclusion?
I've never listened to the RX700 longer than an hour or so.

I had the D2000 for about a year and have owned the RX700 since July 09. In direct comparison with the D2000 I found they had a more balanced/neutral sound with good soundstage that improved tenfold after stuffing the pads.

If you prefer the D1001s over the RX700s you likely don't care much for instrument separation and positioning, the D1001s are also warmer; with deeper bass but not as tight.

Mar 11, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #15 of 17
I might have to get my friend to try stuffing the pads.

but, to me, you're right, details are far more important than instrument separation... not that it doesn't matter.

I think I'll try the RX700's again to see if I can see what you're talking about.

Also, the recabled D1001's aren't as warm, have sweeter highs, and tighter bass than the stock cable variety.

could you recommend me some tracks to try?

EDIT:
sorry to the OP for getting this thread so far off track.
you need closed..
more bass
less than $150..
The ATH-M50's would probably work fine.. though I fear they may have too much bass. (Said to have more than the D1001.)
recabled Denon D1001's would work nicely too, but the stock cables make the bass sloppy.

Also, tight bass doesn't mean lacking..
It means that it's fast and accurate... and doesn't say anything about quanity.
The recabled Denon D1001's have more bass than the stock cable.. but it's not muddy/sloppy at all... but it's more impactful, etc.

You don't say which genres you listen to.. which would be helpful on order to make further recommendations.

If you didn't want closed headphones, I'd tell you to go get a used HD580.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back