Upgrade from Image s-4
May 3, 2010 at 7:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

408mike

100+ Head-Fier
I have really enjoyed these guys but it's time to upgrade. I listen almost exclusively to trance, I am looking for

More bass but more importantly more bass clarity and range
More definition between highs and mids
More clarity in the highs and mids
More seperation between ranges. It seems like a lot of the sounds muddle together if I listen closely enough.
I would like more sparkle.

Suggestions? Would be played with sansa clip, no amp.

Also I lost one of my big tips does anyone know where around san jose, ca I can buy repleacements? Cannot find them anywhere! Oh and if anyone wants to buy my S-4's they have about 200-300 hours listening time, would take as low as $40 or so. Thanks.

May 3, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverkaze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since you really enjoyed your s4, then maybe get x5?

Price range is flexible, less then $200.

The x5 I have not considered. I will check it out. I REALLY like the s-4 I am just ready for the next level.

May 3, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #5 of 17
X5 I can get for $150 on amazon, a member here has triple fi 10 for $120, which would ya'll say??? Trance with mp3 player no amp. Loved the s-4. Both these phones are in my price range.

May 3, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #6 of 17
I would suggest the IE7 or IE8. They have similar sound sig as the S4 but do pretty much everything better. I have a pair of IE7 for sale for $100 and there is a pair of IE8 selling right now in the classified for $175. Good luck.

May 3, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChroniCali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would suggest the IE7 or IE8. They have similar sound sig as the S4 but do pretty much everything better. I have a pair of IE7 for sale for $100 and there is a pair of IE8 selling right now in the classified for $175. Good luck.

Are those IE7's you have new or used? Where are you located in the bay area? Im in san jose. Drop me a line.

May 3, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #8 of 17
I would highly recommend the Monster Turbine or Turbine Pro Gold's. I've compared the Monster Turbines to the Klipsch s4, and I think the Monsters would address everything on your wishlist. I believe the Turbines are down to $100 on Amazon and other online retailers. They are definitely worth at least $150. I was never a Monster fan (blame their shady cable practices and Dr Dre / Lady Gaga endorsements), so I was completely surprised at how good of a product the Monster Turbines were. Nice, tight bass and clear mids/highs. Not fatiquing either. I actually prefer them to my $180 Etymotic HF2's!

May 4, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #10 of 17
Sennheiser IE7(recommended for unamped use), MTP Gold, TF10Pro(recommended for unamped) and DBA-02(highely recommended)........

May 4, 2010 at 3:47 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by 408mike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a diff from the turbines vs turbine pros? Also how do these do with an unamped MP3 player?

The Turbine Pro is the higher end version of the Turbine. I've never listened to the Turbine Pro, but all the reviews I've read have been good and say that they are a definite improvement over the Turbine. The Turbine Pro does cost quite a bit more than the Turbine (~$279 vs ~$106, both best prices I could find online). The Turbine is definitely a big improvement over the s4 -- cleaner, tighter bass, less silibant. I'm very curious to try out the Turbine Pro, but can't find them at any brick and mortar retailer.

I've only used the Turbines on an Iphone, and they sound great. Never tried an amp'd setup, so can't really tell you how it compares.

May 4, 2010 at 6:43 AM Post #12 of 17
Thanks for the responses. So, it looks like either shell out $100 for the IE7 or reg turbines or a forum member is willing to part with a set of turbine pro's for $190. Hrmm. Im wondering if the extra 90bucks is worth it? Decisions decisions.

May 7, 2010 at 5:37 AM Post #15 of 17
You can get any of the 3 Turbine Pro (copper/gold/miles davis) at $ 250 actually, at onecall.com. You can try searching review of IE7 and Turbine, and see which one appeal more to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back