Upgrade from headfive and PPX3?
Aug 26, 2006 at 1:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

3lusiv3

Headphoneus Supremus
I was considering getting a headfive but maybe it's worth getting something a bit better, although it's hard to beat the value of a headfive. I have a Single Power PPX3 and may be interested in a solid state amp that is as good as the PPX3 or even better than it.

If I had a headfive what would be a good amp to upgrade to?

What is a good solid state amp to upgrade to, from the PPX3?

Thx.

Aug 26, 2006 at 3:35 AM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
I was considering getting a headfive but maybe it's worth getting something a bit better, although it's hard to beat the value of a headfive. I have a Single Power PPX3 and may be interested in a solid state amp that is as good as the PPX3 or even better than it.

If I had a headfive what would be a good amp to upgrade to?

What is a good solid state amp to upgrade to, from the PPX3?

Thx.

I hear SP is eventually going to have 9 pin mini to 9 pin mini adapters so you can use 5687's in the original ppx3-6cg7. I would do that. I cant think of a SS amp I like as well as a SLAM ppx3 period.

Aug 26, 2006 at 3:41 AM Post #3 of 12
The last time I talked to Mikhail, he said the adapters that Earl mentioned are already in production. So all it takes is a phone call.

Aug 26, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by humanflyz
The last time I talked to Mikhail, he said the adapters that Earl mentioned are already in production. So all it takes is a phone call.

Yup.. that and money.

Aug 26, 2006 at 3:39 PM Post #5 of 12
I very much agree with Earl post above: with a Slam version of the PPX3 you can get a SS-like sound really difficult to beat and a great tube sound as well just by tube rolling.
That of course unless you need a separate amp, like for the office. Otherwise, if really you are suffering from a sudden attack of upgraditis, replace your PPX3 with a Supra. That is what I would call an upgrade.
As much as I think the Head5 is a great bargain, I am sure that owning a PPX3 you would get bored of the H5 after a couple of days

Aug 26, 2006 at 4:49 PM Post #6 of 12
As far as a SS amp I have a Heed CanAmp with which I extremely pleased. The MSRP is $400 and I purchased mine from:

Dan Muzquiz
Blackbird Audio/Gallery
619-449-2787
http://www.blackbirdaudio.com

I believe he will work with you on price.
wink.gif

Aug 26, 2006 at 7:43 PM Post #7 of 12
I don't know that there is a SS amp that is an upgrade to the PPX. I've had mine (non SLAM) for a very short time, and I think I've found my amp. If I upgrade, it would probably be another Singlepower. I just don't think you can do tubes better and SS can't do tube pleasure at all.

Quote:

I hear SP is eventually going to have 9 pin mini to 9 pin mini adapters so you can use 5687's in the original ppx3-6cg7. I would do that. I cant think of a SS amp I like as well as a SLAM ppx3 period.

I'm going to get mine SLAM (still don't know exactly what it means yet), is that something different than the 9 pin mini adapter? What does this adapter give me?

Aug 26, 2006 at 7:53 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321

I'm going to get mine SLAM (still don't know exactly what it means yet), is that something different than the 9 pin mini adapter? What does this adapter give me?

In short, Slam = 5687 output tubes. You can send the amp back to SP and have the amp permanently rewired to use 5687's .... or use the 9 pin mini adapters. The adapters would let you convert the pinout from 6cg7 to 5687. The compensation network to insure the 5687 tube will not oscillate in the ppx3-6cg7 is right in the adapter. If you want to use 6cg7's .... you just remove the adapters and use the amp like normal. The adapters allow much more flexibility and you dont have to ship the amp and wait for the modification. I think the adapters are the way to go myself.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 27, 2006 at 1:57 AM Post #9 of 12
Those 6cg7 to 5687 adapters seem interesting. It's a bit difficult to send the amp from Australia for an upgrade due to shipping costs. What do I stand to gain by using 5687's?

Aug 27, 2006 at 2:12 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
What do I stand to gain by using 5687's?

a lot.
smily_headphones1.gif
speed, definition, separation, resolution, control, tone, impact, and bass response will all be improved. the 5687 is just a much better output tube than the 6CG7, in my opinion. i used to own a 6CG7 PPX3, and the Slam is just in a completely different league.

Aug 27, 2006 at 2:18 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
a lot.
smily_headphones1.gif
speed, definition, separation, resolution, control, tone, impact, and bass response will all be improved. the 5687 is just a much better output tube than the 6CG7, in my opinion. i used to own a 6CG7 PPX3, and the Slam is just in a completely different league.

What he said.
basshead.gif

Sep 20, 2006 at 12:14 PM Post #12 of 12
I don't suppose anyone has any idea what Philips Miniwatt and AWV Radiotron 6CG7 tubes are like? They are Australian, so i can get them locally.

How about RCA Brasil clear-tops or Russian Electro-Harmonix 6CG7?

My local supplier has these.

Edit: Also, where can I buy RCA and/ or Sylvania 6gu7 tubes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back