Upgrade from DT770
Dec 29, 2013 at 3:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

xlink

New Head-Fier

I'm looking for an upgrade from my now worn out and aging Beyer Dynamic DT770 80ohms which will likely become a gift after new pads.
I have a Sennheiser HD 598 for gaming purposes and it satisfies a number of purposes.
I wish this set to complement it and to be more about "fun" than anything else.
I'm not particularly concerned with comfort. I do have a small head if that matters.
Suggestions are appreciated. I'm not expecting any night/day improvements. Open to all brands/models

Goals:
can be run unamped (nexus 5 or x-fi titanium HD soundcard)
closed back
bass emphasis
useable in gym/running environments
can be worn around the office (no crazy coloring; coworkers including executives generally use Sennheiser and BeyerDynamic)
preferably under $300 (absolute max is $500) willing to buy used

Dec 30, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #5 of 11
I'm open to anything and everything. I have more than enough money in the bank, no debt (ok student loans but those are at 3%), and live off half my income, haha. My primary concern is being able to bank enough to cover a lot of the expenses of an MS+MBA program.

Any other names? I'm more than willing to do research on my own but need a starting point. I've also heard of a Denon D2000 but don't know how that compares.

Dec 30, 2013 at 6:32 AM Post #6 of 11
Denon D600 is an excellent choice.

Dec 30, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #7 of 11
Current considerations are:

Shure SRH1540 <-  bit of a stretch price wise... sounds really intriguing though, but not sure if it's bass heavy enough
Denon D2000 <- seems alright
Denon D600 <- sounds like a good fit

Will do further due diligence and will likely buy something tomorrrow.

Thanks to TwelveTrains, Sxooter and PrimeTime86 so far.

Dec 31, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #8 of 11
  Current considerations are:

Shure SRH1540 <-  bit of a stretch price wise... sounds really intriguing though, but not sure if it's bass heavy enough
Denon D2000 <- seems alright
Denon D600 <- sounds like a good fit

Will do further due diligence and will likely buy something tomorrrow.

Thanks to TwelveTrains, Sxooter and PrimeTime86 so far.

No problemo.

The SRH1540's have very expansive bass. In my opinion, they are like a souped up DT770, with creamier mids too. And the soft Alcantra earpads are the most comfortable earpads I've ever felt. They are like velour memory foam. Hope this info helps with your decision.

Jan 1, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #9 of 11
  No problemo.

The SRH1540's have very expansive bass. In my opinion, they are like a souped up DT770, with creamier mids too. And the soft Alcantra earpads are the most comfortable earpads I've ever felt. They are like velour memory foam. Hope this info helps with your decision.

I ended up going for the D600s. I almost pulled the trigger on the SRH1540, but I'm making an effort to be somewhat cost conscious (after tax and shipping they're at 550). I found a lightly used set of D600s for 220(250AT and shipping). Chances are I'll gift the D600s next Christmas and buy a set of SRH1540s once their price has dropped a bit. Just guestimating I'd say they'll be 10-30% cheaper new this time next year, though I'll admit that's speculation.

Jan 2, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #10 of 11
How are you finding the Denon? Since owning mine, I'm a actually selling the rest of my collection apart from the MA900 because I prefer my Denon D600 over all of my collection.

Jan 14, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #11 of 11
I got the D600s (it took a while) and have been using them for a few days now. At first I didn't really like them all that much. After a little while though I've grown fond of them. I like their sound signature and I'm noticing details in the lows that I hadn't before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back