Upgrade from AKG Q701
Aug 6, 2014 at 11:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

AKGQ701

New Head-Fier
As the title suggests, I am looking for the next step up from the AKG Q701, which I have owned now for about 3 years. In terms of musical preferences, I mainly listen to classical and instrumental music, but I also listen to fair amounts of contemporary rock and pop music.

As much as I enjoy the Q701, I do not enjoy listening to rock and pop music with them, even though they do excel with classical. After searching through various forums, it seems like the Hifiman HE-500 is a contender for being an upgrade, while many other opinions I have read state that the only true upgrade from the Q701 is the Sennheiser HD800 (which is way out of budget for now).

With a budget of around ~$600-$700, what headphone would be a viable upgrade from the Q701?

Key aspects of the headphone I am looking for include airiness, soundstage, instrument separation, natural timbre, and a balanced, neutral presentation. 

Bonus points: Suggest an amp/dac to pair with the upgraded headphone, as I have sold my Matrix M-Stage I used with the Q701.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Aug 6, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #3 of 34

Wow, thank you for the heads up, this seems to meet every criteria I listed. I had no idea that they had designed a more affordable PM-1. If possible, do you know what sources (amp/dac) would go well with the PM-2?

Thanks for your help

Aug 6, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #4 of 34
start a new thread and ask about dac/amp for the OPPO type of headphones... (orthodynamic / planar-magnetic)... so more people can give their input.
I promise to help :)

Aug 6, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #9 of 34
  BTW the Sennheiser HD700 headphones also conform to your budget...

They are in budget, but I have read very mixed opinions about them, especially the peak in their sound signature. Would it still eb suitable for classical music/other genres as well?
  Used Beyers T1?

I've seen these pop up in my budget as well, but haven't seen too much feedback regarding its performance with classical. Will the suite the genre well?

Thanks for the feedback

Aug 6, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #11 of 34

Good to know.  I'll have to watch the FS section and do more research on them to see if it's a good fit, but initial impressions look good. Hopefully I can find a review that directly describes their capability with classical music.

Aug 6, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #12 of 34
I sold them to a friend of mine who listens only to classical.
He uses them interchangeably with the HD800, depends on his mood...

According to your first post on this thread, you listen also to POP music;
The T1 betters the HD800 for POP music, because of fuller voicing and higher bass quantity.

When you go T1, you go flagship level... don't think otherwise. 

Aug 6, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #13 of 34

Digging deeper into T1 reviews, it definitely is a flagship. The only issue now will be avoiding spending $1000+ on a tube amp...

Hopefully Schiit Valhalla will do it justice. 

Aug 6, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #14 of 34
I've seen these pop up in my budget as well, but haven't seen too much feedback regarding its performance with classical. Will the suite the genre well?

Thanks for the feedback

Well, I own DT880s and K702, both are good with classical music due to their neutral nature, and airy presentation. I slightly prefer my K702 for classical because they provide a bigger soundstage and have a slightly more neutral presentation (don't get me wrong both are neutral headphones and very enjoyable with classical music).
On the other hand, I think most people would agree that DT880s are better all-rounders, I can shuffle between perfectly recorded classical music and low dynamic range symphonic metal with my DT880s and enjoy both genres. Bass on DT880s is more defined and slightly more impactful compared with K702 while still retaining a neutral presentation, some would say that DT880's bass has better quality.

I've read quite a lot about T1s but I've only tried T5p.
T1s are supposed to provide better soundstage and imaging than DT880s thanks to the new and also angled drivers. The entire spectrum is supposed to be improved in terms of transparency in comparison with DT880s, and most reviewers found them to be very good all rounders, wich is the impression I have from my DT880s.

Quote: DavidMahler
 GENRE MASTER: The T1 is one of those headphones that has speed. Because of this, the sound never feels cluttered. For this reason, I find that the T1's sound signature works well with just about any genre.

Source: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_T1

Aug 6, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #15 of 34

Well, I own DT880s and K702, both are good with classical music due to their neutral nature, and airy presentation. I slightly prefer my K702 for classical because they provide a bigger soundstage and have a slightly more neutral presentation (don't get me wrong both are neutral headphones and very enjoyable with classical music).
On the other hand, I think most people would agree that DT880s are better all-rounders, I can shuffle between perfectly recorded classical music and low dynamic range symphonic metal with my DT880s and enjoy both genres. Bass on DT880s is more defined and slightly more impactful compared with K702 while still retaining a neutral presentation, some would say that DT880's bass has better quality.

I've read quite a lot about T1s but I've only tried T5p.
T1s are supposed to provide better soundstage and imaging than DT880s thanks to the new and also angled drivers. The entire spectrum is supposed to be improved in terms of transparency in comparison with DT880s, and most reviewers found them to be very good all rounders, wich is the impression I have from my DT880s.

Source: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_T1

Thanks for digging that up, David's review certainly deserves respect. It's good to hear that it handles all genres well, as that is the biggest issue I have with my Q701's. Thanks again for help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back