Upgrade from AKG K701's?
Dec 26, 2012 at 2:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Michael172

100+ Head-Fier
Setup is AKG K701's and Asus Xonar STX. Listen to metal, thrash metal and similar.

After owning the 701's for over 2 years Ive recently found myself thinking something is missing in the mid range - guitar work seems pretty 'far back' and not in your face like they are with some cans or IEM's, I dunno if that makes any sense, its just lacking something I crave and I think thats whats missing. My music taste has changed somewhat in 2 years and I dont listen to rap anymore so bass isnt a problem, although wouldnt want anything less than my K's.

What could I move to next?

Grado's arent really to my taste I dont think; Have Heard HF2's and GS1k's and I didnt like the 'sound signature'. Beyer Dt880's and 770 Pro's were great but Im not sure I like closed cans. Saying that I listened to some Denon AH-D7000's and they had a custom cable in them and I thought they were the business.

Budget. I dunno. Loosley speaking....£200

Dec 26, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #2 of 5
Interesting that I dont feel this way about my Q701.... I doubt there is a huge difference, but have you ever tried the Q701?
Quote:
Setup is AKG K701's and Asus Xonar STX. Listen to metal, thrash metal and similar.

After owning the 701's for over 2 years Ive recently found myself thinking something is missing in the mid range - guitar work seems pretty 'far back' and not in your face like they are with some cans or IEM's, I dunno if that makes any sense, its just lacking something I crave and I think thats whats missing. My music taste has changed somewhat in 2 years and I dont listen to rap anymore so bass isnt a problem, although wouldnt want anything less than my K's.

What could I move to next?

Grado's arent really to my taste I dont think; Have Heard HF2's and GS1k's and I didnt like the 'sound signature'. Beyer Dt880's and 770 Pro's were great but Im not sure I like closed cans. Saying that I listened to some Denon AH-D7000's and they had a custom cable in them and I thought they were the business.

Budget. I dunno. Loosley speaking....£200

Dec 26, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
Interesting that I dont feel this way about my Q701.... I doubt there is a huge difference, but have you ever tried the Q701?

Q701 and the K701s are different, but he is right that they are missing some midrange. I personally found that the best way to do this was to equalize them. It is free, and if you do it correctly, it can make the headphones sound a million times better. 

The other option would be to go with tube amps. It really warms up the mids and makes them a lot fuller. Though I am not entirely sure if that is a good road to go down for metal music. 

The other option would be some grados and just mod them to high hell. They make for excellent rock/metal/etc headphones. 

Dec 26, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #4 of 5
Im borrowing some GS1000's from a friend soon, been offered them for £300 which I will pay if I actually like them. I seem to remember them not being to my taste and Im pretty sure the mids in the GS1000 werent anything to shout about, just seemed to have a lot of bass and trebble (for open cans), the Grado HF-2 was the same although sounded pretty decent when I used the foam ear pieces from the GS1000, Im no audiophile so maybe Ill get flamed for saying that. But we shall see. I think Grado are supposed to be rock orientated am I right?

Never tried Q701's. The K's are my first set of 'proper' cans and I bought them through reviews on here, supposed to be a well balanced set of cans.

Played about with EQ's over the time ive owned them and I like the preset Soft Rock EQ on my Xonar STX.

Dec 27, 2012 at 4:32 AM Post #5 of 5
Come on :)

Someone must be able to recommend something?

After reasonably priced cans with good mids. My window is £300 and I would sooner spend half that....

Just throw some ideas out there then Ill go read up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back