Upgrade from AKG K240 to 271/272
Oct 9, 2010 at 5:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

tdockweiler

Headphoneus Supremus
I bought the AKG K240 the other day and got them today. I've only burned them in for about 4 hours so far, but they sound pretty good. They were labeled as not having the original box, but I got them and they came with the box and look brand new. I did not get the version with the extras. They blow away my M30 by far, especially with classical music. I paid around $79 for them. Not too bad I guess.

I previously tried the K240 MK II and my pair sounded severely muffled out of the box and I didn't give them a fair chance and maybe returned them too fast. My new pair seems completely different.

I like the mids on the K240. They're almost as good as the mids on my Koss Pro DJ 100. They do feel slightly more forward and maybe a little more fatiguing for some reason. Not sure if it's the mids or just the bass that's doing it. I must be weird, but they're even brighter then I expected. Of course I'm the one that finds even the highs on the SRH-840 a bit tiring after awhile and everyone considers those "dark" for some reason.

I have issues with the bass. It's a bit annoying to listen to. Sometimes it feels well controlled and other times it feels as if it's there when it shouldn't be. Other times it just doesn't feel accurate and a bit bloated. Remember, I have the NEW K240 and not the 600 ohm version.

I've heard the K271 is about the same but has less bass but is a closed version. They share the same drivers and have the same mids right? Is the K272 the same as the 271 (just with extras)?

Is there another AKG headphone that sounds like the K240 (50ohm) but has better, more controlled bass? Even if it's a bit less I don't care. I want something that's easy to drive with a good portable amp. I don't want to buy the AKG 701 again, but I was looking at the AKG 601, but those look overpriced in the USA.

I must be living under a rock because the AKG 701/702 is sooooo expensive now. I could have sworn they were $200-$230 once! Even the HD-600 are even more expensive!

AKG 272 is selling for $329 online. That seems sooo high considering the 240 is only $99 and is probably an open version of the 271. Maybe the 272 is totally different then the 271.

Is there any major difference between the 271 and 272?

Does the 242 sound similar to the 240 or is the bass far better? I hope so.

It seems I don't mind a lot of bass as long as it's well controlled. I recently bought the DT-770 32 ohm and was surprised with it and didn't find it very bass heavy at all. It seemed to be well controlled in this area and didn't overdo it and show up at the wrong times. The vocals on that pair didn't sound good to me, so I returned them. I liked the bass though. Who would have thought that they were the most neutral to me out of the DT-880, 770 and 990! I expected them to be bass monsters and even worse then the M50.

BTW I'm perfectly OK with a headphone that doesn't have a lot of bass as long as it's not as bass light as say the AD700 or RE0 IEM. The bass on the SRH-840 and even the AKG 701 is OK. I do prefer a little more bass then the 701 has sometimes, but it's not a big deal.

I'm also only interested in a pair that's still fairly easy to find. Unfortunately the AKG 501 is off the list, but i'd definitely buy a pair if I could!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back