Upgrade for RE0s
May 13, 2011 at 9:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Omnirai

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

Been using the RE0 for awhile, that was my first step into proper portable audio equipment and a purchase I never regretted. Alas upgraditis has begun to kick in and having heard several other quality IEMs I've been considering to upgrade. Been a long time lurker of head-fi and here's hoping that someone is able to help me reach my next stage in achieving my personal audio paradise
bigsmile_face.gif
Hopefully this can be useful for other RE0 owners looking to upgrade as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Things I like about the RE0 (and wish for my upgrade to at least be comparable in): Extension and detail, very good treble performance (for me), clarity and resolution. Balance and overall smoothness of sound, detailed and accurate bass.

Things I would like some improvement on: Some added bass body (I'm not a basshead by any means, but I can't help but feel that sometimes I'm missing out a little with the bass quantity the RE0 provides), soundstage, perhaps a more engaging midrange (I listen to alot of songs with vocals).

Genres of music I listen to: Wide range of classical, pop, soft rock, ballads, a little bit of electronic/trance. No heavy metal/hip-hop/dubstep/hard rock or any of the sort that requires a thumping bass or a V-shaped response (very much prefer balance). Source is a 3G Ipod touch, no amp at the moment. Budget might be around 200USD  (would prefer a little less), so the really top tier IEMs are out. I have small ears if that matters, and would not like to invest in customs at the moment.

Summary of things I'm looking for: Treble extension and detail, overall detail and clarity, smooth and lush mids, accurate but not overpowering bass. Tends to prefer a neutral sound with just a little emphasis on the mids.

Of course I've done my own research and tried my hands on some options, opinions:

DBA-02: One of the closest to my desired sound signature. Builds on the RE-0's weaknesses while retaining the features that I loved from the 0. Gripes: cheap-looking build, slightly sibilant and tends towards being a little too bright (minor really), and I found the mids a little less enjoyable comparing to RE0s. Nevertheless a great pair and one I'm definitely considering.

Vsonic GR07: Have not tried it (difficult to obtain a test sample), but from reading several reviews it sounds like exactly what I need, at a great price too. Opinions?

Ortofon eQ7/5: I've heard the 7 and it's wonderful, treble is underwhelming but the bass and mids are pretty much the stuff of my dreams. Way out of my price range though. Is the e-Q5 comparable in sound and is it worth the price difference over the DBAs and especially the Vsonics?

I've pretty much narrowed it down to the VSonic Gr07, Ortofon e-Q5 and DBA-02 (in decreasing order of preference), any input or further suggestions beyond what I have found will be much appreciated too. Thanks, head-fi!

May 13, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #2 of 11
Why not buy a used pair of e-Q7s?
I just did and they were worth every penny.

May 13, 2011 at 9:54 AM Post #3 of 11
I really love the GR07.  It's very balanced, with a touch of warmth.  It has nice bass extension and respectable treble too.  Maybe not quite what you're used to with the RE0, but you can't have everything!  But as far as dynamic drivers go, this is up there among the best.

May 13, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #4 of 11
The DBA-02 really isn't as bright and sibilant as you might make it out to be. Maybe you can give it another, longer tryout, especially when you've noted that it's the closest to the sound signature you want.

With that being said, the GR07s are excellent as well. I'm still burning them in, and they get better by the day, but they might be a bit warm in the mids for your tastes. (They're really not very warm at all, but probably will sound that way at first). It also won't have that "effortless treble" feel, although it has very good extension.

The e-Q7 probably aren't going to be "worth the money" over the other two, but I loved their mid-centric sound, quite a bit more than the SE530/535.

May 13, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #5 of 11
Im interested in this too, currently have the SW-Xcape and they have similiar taste in the re0 and Im willing to upgrade..

May 13, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
Why not buy a used pair of e-Q7s?
I just did and they were worth every penny.

I'm trying to steer away from buying used, it's a personal thing. I really liked the e-Q7 and I've read that the e-Q5 has similar sound at a cheaper price tag, so I was wondering if it would be worth it to splash on a 5 (which is about as expensive as I'm willing to go).

Quote:
I really love the GR07.  It's very balanced, with a touch of warmth.  It has nice bass extension and respectable treble too.  Maybe not quite what you're used to with the RE0, but you can't have everything!  But as far as dynamic drivers go, this is up there among the best.

Very encouraging! I'm really leaning towards the 07 at the moment but I will have to find an opportunity to test it first before making the decision. I will miss the outstanding treble of the 0, but as you said with a budget it's not possible to have everything. Thanks for the vote of confidence for the GR07!

Quote:
The DBA-02 really isn't as bright and sibilant as you might make it out to be. Maybe you can give it another, longer tryout, especially when you've noted that it's the closest to the sound signature you want.

With that being said, the GR07s are excellent as well. I'm still burning them in, and they get better by the day, but they might be a bit warm in the mids for your tastes. (They're really not very warm at all, but probably will sound that way at first). It also won't have that "effortless treble" feel, although it has very good extension.

The e-Q7 probably aren't going to be "worth the money" over the other two, but I loved their mid-centric sound, quite a bit more than the SE530/535.

I will give the DBAs another shot. Could it be a tip problem? I've tried it with comply foams and the stock single flanges, the complies seemed to tame the top end a little but I have an aversion to complies as they dirty fast and require maintenance/replacement. I'm happy with shure olives though, been using that on my RE0s with great results. My impressions with testing the DBAs have been that it is a technically excellent pair of IEMs that don't really do anything wrong, but somehow I'm not enjoying the music as much as I should.

I will also try to test a well burned-in pair of GR07s (heard the bio-cellulose whatsits really age well) and see how I like the overall sound, especially the mid presentation. Slightly warm mids are probably going to be OK, I liked the e-Q7 after all. Thanks for the input.

Any opinions on the e-Q5 against the DBA/GR07 or any other possibilities within my budget? The new B2 from Brainwavz looks interesting but I'm afraid I do not know much about it. So much thanks for the inputs so far, great community here.

May 13, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #7 of 11
I haven't heard the e-Q5, only the e-Q7, but from all indications it's even more like what you'd prefer in sound than the e-Q7's rounded, mid-centric signature. I'd love to listen to a pair myself, but I think I'd have problems with its ergonomics. I'm a big fan of the moving armature sound (almost bought the GR10); it blends the dynamic and BA sound together well, but I'm probably going to skip this generation of drivers and wait for the next batch of products.

The B2 should be really, really similar to the DBA-02. It's from the same OEM, after all. It looks like everyone's only heard the prototypes, and final production samples don't come out 'til mid-June. Brainwavz is saying that the B2 is going to have a tamer high-end than the DBA-02, which will probably be good for you. It also seems to have a better set of accessories.

Shure Olives work great on the DBA-02, although I personally use Klipsch oval tips on them (the Olives hang around as backup). The stock tips really aren't the greatest.

I can definitely see what you mean about how, despite the DBA-02's technical excellence, you're not enjoying the sound as much as you should. I personally don't have that problem, but I can imagine how certain people would, which brings me to the GR07. It doesn't have the razor sharpness of the DBA-02 but clarity is still excellent, better than the SE535 and UM3x, IMO. It's an IEM that will really allow you to relax to the music but still bring out all the little details.

Man, honestly you can't go wrong with any of these choices... if it were up to me I'd get all of them and then choose
biggrin.gif

Then again, I already have two of them... heh

May 13, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #8 of 11
Seems like the GR07 is the way to go at the moment, will keep in mind. Then again, waiting for the B2 seems to be an option as well. Argh decisions, decisions.

May 14, 2011 at 5:48 AM Post #9 of 11

Quote:
Seems like the GR07 is the way to go at the moment, will keep in mind. Then again, waiting for the B2 seems to be an option as well. Argh decisions, decisions.

Unless you're in a big hurry, I see no reason not to wait, other than that the B2 is having a pre-order sale...at least it was last time I checked.  It looks almost identical to the DBA-02 in design, especially if you look at the early prototypes which are nearly indistinguishable.  There are several impressions floating around though, and even a few reviews.  Still, the GR07 is a solid choice.  No clue how it'd compare to the DBA-02 or B2 though.

May 14, 2011 at 9:11 AM Post #10 of 11
Managed to test the VSonics and felt the lower treble was a little edgy and harsh, I do hope it clears up with more burn-in but that was a test unit to begin with. Hopefully it hasn't been extensively tested...rest of the sound is solid and great for the price, I prefer it over the DBA-02 I think (as long as the sibilance clears up).

I also tried the e-Q5s and they sound even better than the e-Q7s for my tastes. The 288USD asking price on musicaacoustics is a little prohibitive though. I read somewhere that it's possible to get it for 230USD, but has that ship already sailed?

May 14, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #11 of 11

Quote:
Managed to test the VSonics and felt the lower treble was a little edgy and harsh, I do hope it clears up with more burn-in but that was a test unit to begin with. Hopefully it hasn't been extensively tested...rest of the sound is solid and great for the price, I prefer it over the DBA-02 I think (as long as the sibilance clears up).

I also tried the e-Q5s and they sound even better than the e-Q7s for my tastes. The 288USD asking price on musicaacoustics is a little prohibitive though. I read somewhere that it's possible to get it for 230USD, but has that ship already sailed?

Hm?  How'd you get a pair to try out?

Also, that's pretty much how the GR07 sounds either before burn-in or if you're listening too loud.  They don't like too much volume.  But usually at that volume you'd risk hearing damage anyway.  I'd assume that it's just not burned in though.  It does take a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back