Upgrade for M80s
May 7, 2013 at 3:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Slatexx

New Head-Fier
Hello!

I wrote a post about the same topic but anybody answered yet 
confused_face.gif
. I bought a pair of M80s about a year ago, I am very happy with these but since I am starting to learn about audio I would like to experience better sound if possible. Any ideas for an upgrade for the M80s? I listen to a wide range of music, as: deep house, chill out, trance, house, electronica, indie-electronica, indie, rock...
I appreciate vocals a lot too, I would like them to be portable, doesn´t have to be perfectly portable, just not huge.
If not, is it worth to buy an amp/DAC for the M80s? Or maybe a combo headphones + amp/DAC?

Thanks!!

May 7, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #2 of 7
Would help if you said what your budget is. Anyway the most obvious choice would be the V-Moda M100.

Or if you can find it somewhere i think the Denon D2000 is really great. They are discontinued so may be a bit hard to find.

Beyerdynamics DT 770 is also an option as well as the not as well known but still great Soundmagic HP100. Most $300 and up headphones from respected headphone companies are probably also an upgrade.

Also i don't believe it would be worth the cost to pair the M80 with an amp since the difference would probably be minimal, better save that money for something else.

May 7, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #3 of 7
If you want to stay in the same category over portable closed ear headphones then I would say go towards the Sennheiser Amperiors. On Amazon you can get them for $220 brand new so forget about that $350 msrp. I have these headphones and they are pretty much as good as it gets for portable on ear headphones. They do every genre great for me and they are low impedance so you won't "need" an amp to drive them. They are exceptional in every realm except sound stage which is decent.

As for getting better headphones in general then the HD 595 or 650 (if you have the money) would be a good place to start. 

I will try to purchase a usb dac/amp for my computer to see what that does to my Amperiors and my PC speakers. If you want I'll let you know how that USB dac affects my headphones and if a dac upgrade is worth it. 

May 7, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #4 of 7
Hello!

I wrote a post about the same topic but anybody answered yet 
confused_face.gif

. I bought a pair of M80s about a year ago, I am very happy with these but since I am starting to learn about audio I would like to experience better sound if possible. Any ideas for an upgrade for the M80s? I listen to a wide range of music, as: deep house, chill out, trance, house, electronica, indie-electronica, indie, rock...
I appreciate vocals a lot too, I would like them to be portable, doesn´t have to be perfectly portable, just not huge.
If not, is it worth to buy an amp/DAC for the M80s? Or maybe a combo headphones + amp/DAC?

Thanks!!

Wow you and I have a lot of common, and i'm still searching for mine too. After I had seen every advices and recommendation, I realized that the M-80 are one of the best portable headphones at the moment and it's really hard to find their superior. However, as yours genre is enery music, the M-100 might be a good choice. It's different from the M-80 with different sound signature, but they suit you well. If you want portability is the top quality to buy a headphone then M-100 is the best now

May 8, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #5 of 7
Hello again , and thanks for your comments!

So starting with Kimx2310 I would say my budget is around 200-350, if needed I would save for an amp furtherly.
I will leave the Vmoda M100 for the final part. Checked the denon d2000 but couldnt find them as you said, about the beyerdynamics dt770 and the soundmagic HP100s actually seem like a very good purchase, but, looking from the portable part, I would rather get something a little bit smaller, specially regarding the HP100s. I think those would be a good choice, but I am  not sure about the protable side. Thanks for the suggestions tho.

Would help if you said what your budget is. Anyway the most obvious choice would be the V-Moda M100.

Or if you can find it somewhere i think the Denon D2000 is really great. They are discontinued so may be a bit hard to find.

Beyerdynamics DT 770 is also an option as well as the not as well known but still great Soundmagic HP100. Most $300 and up headphones from respected headphone companies are probably also an upgrade.

Also i don't believe it would be worth the cost to pair the M80 with an amp since the difference would probably be minimal, better save that money for something else.

About the sennheiser amperiors, what I have found its just good stuff. Every review places them as if not the best one of the best for on-ear portable choices, also the price is not that high. Sound quality appears to be really good, balanced more than bass emphasized.
The HD 595 or 650 just seem a bit too expensive right now but look good for future upgrades. Thanks for the ideas and of course it would be great to here about its performance with a dac if you purchase it.
Quote:
If you want to stay in the same category over portable closed ear headphones then I would say go towards the Sennheiser Amperiors. On Amazon you can get them for $220 brand new so forget about that $350 msrp. I have these headphones and they are pretty much as good as it gets for portable on ear headphones. They do every genre great for me and they are low impedance so you won't "need" an amp to drive them. They are exceptional in every realm except sound stage which is decent.

As for getting better headphones in general then the HD 595 or 650 (if you have the money) would be a good place to start. 

I will try to purchase a usb dac/amp for my computer to see what that does to my Amperiors and my PC speakers. If you want I'll let you know how that USB dac affects my headphones and if a dac upgrade is worth it. 

Now, yes, I know exactly what you mean. Actually I have been hearing that the sennheiser amperiors are a bit better on the isolation, more comfortable and have a overall better sound ; still, the m80 have the best building quality and also they are gorgeus, the best headphones I have ever had (there is no much more I have had tho).
Finally talking about the M100s, from what I have read/seen, almost everybody says that its frequency response may not be as flat as an audiophile headphone BUT, that the tunning of the headphones has been specifically  choosed for a really good experience, focusing more on the vmoda signature, on the fun listening. About the construction, presentation and basically the headphone itself, nothing to say, just amazing.

Wow you and I have a lot of common, and i'm still searching for mine too. After I had seen every advices and recommendation, I realized that the M-80 are one of the best portable headphones at the moment and it's really hard to find their superior. However, as yours genre is enery music, the M-100 might be a good choice. It's different from the M-80 with different sound signature, but they suit you well. If you want portability is the top quality to buy a headphone then M-100 is the best now

At this point I am considering either the amperiors or the M100s, don´t know what to do really. Last time Vmoda was an awesome choice, at first I was a bit scared, my thought was, all that money on the design? so would be the sound that great? And yes it was.
Also everything I have heard is that a part from the  fun "tunning" they have, they are pretty balanced and should perform would with all genres. Since the impedance is not that big, these shouldnt need an amp right?
To conclude the amperiors also look really good, but I have to say, about the design I would totally stay with vmoda. But all is about the sound, isn´t it? And from what I have heard the amperiors are great on sound, just one more thought, what I have heard too is that the soundstage of the M100s is much better than the amperiors, does this have to do with the over-ear/ on-ear performance?

Anything more thoughts?
Again thanks for your comments, they have been really helpful!

May 8, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #6 of 7
From what i have read the M-100s sound should be familiar to the M50 while the Amperior is the HD25 and imho, the M50 win in these genre. M50s bass is somewhat better than the HD25 in term of impact and quantity, while the HD25s win in speed and control but i think it's not necessary since you listen to electronic the most, not some fast pace music like metal or something like that... The result should be the same with the M-100 and the Amperior (or at least that's what i think :|).

But aside from the SQ, i think the V-Moda definitely win in built quality, design, accessories and portabilty. I'm sure the M-100 totally kill the HD25 in those term

May 8, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #7 of 7
Hello!

Okay so for what I have seen, I will give the M100s a chance to see if its tunning fulfills my ears. Build quality, durability, design, and SQ for MODERN music appears to be really good so If you want I will comment as soon as I get them a quick review compared to the M80s.
I look a lot into portability and durability so I guess it is a good choice, also If youre not satisfied they offer the 60 day trial so I guess you can return them.

So thats it! Thanks for your comments I will talk about them soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back