Upgrade for HD-595?
Jul 6, 2010 at 10:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

MCC

1000+ Head-Fier
As an experiment today I cobbled together a working pair of Kramer KSC75s out of my two broken sets- BAD IDEA. Although nowhere near the quality of my Sennheisers they've made me realize just how boring the HD-595 is. I've been considering an upgrade for months now but this has pushed me over the edge... my wallet will hate me. 

I listen to a whole range of genres- Classic rock, progressive/symphonic/heavy metal, Anime OSTs, psytrance, classical, movie OSTs and more. Things like Rush, Yes, Ayreon, James Horner, Jerry Goldsmith, Dvořák, Dream Theater, Moby, The Beatles, Yoko Kanno, Infected Mushroom, Pink Floyd to give a random sample. No particular order. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

I also own a pair of Ultrasone HFI-680s but I usually relegate those to trance unless I'm at school and there's too much backround noise. Most of my listening will be via a modded McIntosh 1500 receiver and a Stello DA100 DAC. Although vintage tube tech, the McIntosh is quite linear and on the slightly warm side of neutral.

I'm looking for an open 'phone between $200 and $400. It should capture the exciting characteristics of the Kramer KSC75 but without coloration or listening fatigue- I'm not at all looking for a V-type sound like the Koss headphones.

The manual for my 1500 states that it's for "low impedance headphones" but that could mean anything- headphones with impedances of 2-4k and beyond weren't uncommon in 1965. I'm awaiting a response from McIntosh as to what that specifically means- and yes, they still support a 45 year old piece of equipment. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 6, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #3 of 11
Let's add a little: I'm also looking for stronger bass response than the Senns, but nothing overwhelming. It sounds like the 225i might not fit in with that but there's a Grado dealer nearby- I'll see if I can try them tomorrow.

Jul 6, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #5 of 11
SP Wild, is there any particular reason you recommended the HD-650 over your K701? I've been doing some research over the past few weeks and I've read a lot of owners calling them laid back or even boring. What's your take?

Jul 6, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #6 of 11
There's an AD2000 in the FS section... Last time I checked he was selling them for $340, which for that price is quite a steal. I'm sure the Ad2000 would suit your music preference fairly well. 

Jul 7, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
SP Wild, is there any particular reason you recommended the HD-650 over your K701? I've been doing some research over the past few weeks and I've read a lot of owners calling them laid back or even boring. What's your take?

There are a couple of threads out there with extensive debates pertaining to your question. From what I've read though, the 650s have a laid back sound sig with a more powerful mid and lower end. 

The K702s are more clinical and have more energy in the upper regions..... if not properly amped they sound tinny and dull. I haven't heard the 650s but I have and love the K702s. They're pretty neutral and "dry" if you will (if you don't give them enough power) so I can see why some people state that.

Jul 7, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #8 of 11

Quote:

Only by going off what I read about the Koss - I think, not sure, that they have a similar tonal character to the PX100 which I own and the HD650 sounds like an infinitely better version of the PX100.

I may be wrong.

Jul 7, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #9 of 11

Quote:
There's an AD2000 in the FS section... Last time I checked he was selling them for $340, which for that price is quite a steal. I'm sure the Ad2000 would suit your music preference fairly well. 

I can't believe these haven't come up before in my searches. The more I read about them, the more certain I am that they're a perfect complement for my other 'phones. I'll do some more research and if they're gone by the time I reach a decision, very well- I suppose I can wait.

Jul 7, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #10 of 11
I'm moving on the used ATH-AD2000. Everything I read about them seems to match up perfectly with what I've been looking for. The descriptions I've read of the DT880/K70x/HD-650/SR-225i never seemed like a good fit and I was silently thinking that I was asking for too much with my description, half expecting that there wasn't anything in my price range that would suit my tastes. 

Needless to say I'm excited- usually I deliberate for weeks or months over large purchases but these sound like a great match. Thanks for the recommendation!

Jul 7, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #11 of 11
Good choice my friend. I have I pair myself and I love them! I also have the Grado 225i and the Ad2000s are leagues ahead of them. I'd say they're the closest you can get to an "all rounder" for under $700. Most importantly, they do well with both Rock and Classical which is a rarity in my experience. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back