Upgrade advice: New DAP? Or just new headphones?
Feb 10, 2015 at 11:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

U2Bono269

100+ Head-Fier
Hi! I'm new here but I've been reading for months and I feel like I've learned a lot.

I'm looking to upgrade my setup. I have a budget of about $400 tops, overall. This is a portable-only thing. I do not have the space in my house for speakers, which is my preference.

So, my current setup is this:

1. iPod Classic 7th generation
2. Redbook ALAC audio, mostly ripped from CDs, but a few from Bandcamp and HDTracks
3. Accidentally Extraordinary 51st Studios headphones
4. Harmon-Kardon CL Precision Bass headphones

I'm interested in high-res audio. I have some SACDs given to me by my dad that I'd like to rip, and a couple of albums from HDtracks. I wanted to buy some lossless files, and I spent a few extra bucks on my favorite albums to hopefully future-proof.

I'm happy with my headphones, but the truth is I don't know any better than what I have. I use the AEs at home, and the HKs are in my bag for when I'm on the go.

I figure I have 2 choices. I can spend my budget on an iBasso dx90, or I can spend my budget on a significant headphone upgrade. I'm leaning toward upgrading the source and getting the iBasso.

I can accurately differentiate between mp3 and lossless, which I think means I should find some satisfaction in 24bit audio.

I guess the question is which will provide a better listening experience? I would love to hear what people here think.

Feb 10, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #2 of 14
$100 headphones with a $400 DAP? Better to go with new headphones. New headphones in the ~$200 range could give you more of a sound upgrade over what you have than a $400 DAP.

Even though you say this is a "portable only thing," do you listen at home mostly at your computer? You could get a $200 desktop DAC/amp and $200 headphones.

Feb 10, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #3 of 14
I don't like to use my computer for listening. I get distracted by whatever's on the screen. I'm also trying to cut down on the amount of time I sit at a desk in front of a computer screen.

If I were going to spend, say, $200 on headphones, what would be a good choice? I don't like IEMs, and I prefer the on-ear or over-ear design. I like rock, alternative, pop, folk, some jazz. My favorite albums are by U2, the Beatles, John Coltrane, Radiohead, Nine Inch Nails, Damien Rice...and others in that approximate vein.

Would it be worthwhile to split the difference and spend some money on a nice headphone upgrade and maybe get a cheaper HiFi DAP? Like the iBasso dx50?

Feb 10, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #4 of 14
The DX50 is nice. So is the FiiO X3. However, depending on the headphones, they may not provide much of an upgrade over your iPod. Some headphones are more difficult to drive than others and could benefit from the better headphone amp in the DX50 or X3.

Do you want open? Or closed headphones? Open headphones have a bigger soundstage, but leak sound. Best used in private.

Feb 10, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #5 of 14
Well, I'd prefer to have a DAP that will not need an external DAC or amp. I have enough devices on me between my phone, Kindle, iPad, and iPod that I don't want to throw something else in the mix. So I'd either want my headphones to be adequately driven by the iPod, or I want a DAP that will drive a decent set of headphones.

I think I'd prefer headphones with the larger soundstage, regardless of leakage. I'm interested in hearing the dynamics between instruments and the tiny details in music, which is why hi-res music has caught my eye, er, ear.

If I were to spring for the DX50, I worry that I'd eventually regret not having gotten the higher-end model when I could, you know?

Feb 10, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #6 of 14
Another thought...maybe unanswerable.

I have a spare pair of Accidentally Extraordinary 51st studios. Long story. I've listed them on ebay because I don't need them, but I doubt they will sell. I think I asked for too much but it won't let me change the prices. But even if they do sell, this could apply to the current set I have too.

Is it worthwhile to explore upgrading these headphones with new drivers? I have experience working with guitar electronics, so I'm comfortable with soldering and working with the wires. I'm also comfortable with woodworking, which might be necessary if I need to thin out the wooden cups to accommodate a larger driver. It would be nice to have a project to work on again.

Does this sound feasible?

Feb 10, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #7 of 14
I've been doing some heavy research all day. On my budget I could get an iBasso dx50 and Sennheiser HD598s. How much of an upgrade over my iPod might I expect? Are these a good pairing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feb 10, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #8 of 14
The DX50 is an upgrade over an iPod. How much, only you can decide since it is, to a certain extent, a personal evaluation.

The DX50 will easily drive the HD598s.

Feb 11, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #9 of 14
Thank you. I think you kept me from wasting some money.

It seems like this is the direction I'm going to go in. The iPod and Harmon Kardons are great for use at work or on the go. But when I just want to sit and listen to music for the enjoyment of it, I find myself wanting a lot more. Whether this setup will deliver remains to be seen, but I'm confident.

I'm still open to suggestions if anyone thinks they have a better idea?

Feb 11, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #10 of 14
Get the best headphone you can get, then worry about a DAP.  If you want a good bang for buck portable solution, get the RE-400 and HM601LE for $150.  You can find this from RazorDog, not sure what other vendors also have this deal.  Rockbox the HM601 put in a cheap SD card.  If you don't use IEMs you could sell the RE400 to help you fund the headphone you want.

Feb 12, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #11 of 14
Cel4145, your advice was spot on!

I ordered a pair of Sennheiser HD598's yesterday, and they somehow ended up on my doorstep today.

I spent a good hour this afternoon listening to the new Damien Rice album with my Harmon Kardons at work, so I was anxious to see how they compared. So I plugged the 598s into my iPod and queued up Damien Rice.

The difference was immediately mind-blowing. It didn't even sound like I was listening to headphones. They sounded like I was listening to music, whereas before I always could hear that I was listening to headphones that happened to be playing music. The songs were clearer, bolder, purer, more detailed. I couldn't take them off and I ran through some of my favorite tracks and was more and more impressed. And the 598s themselves are incredibly comfortable. I think I've finally found the style of headphone that I like best!

I got the feeling that my iPod wasn't doing them justice by itself. I have no point of reference, obviously, but I had to have the volume up pretty high to get a comfortable listen. This makes me think that the iPod was struggling to drive the headphones and there was more to be revealed via my source material. It felt like there was just a little more POP in there that I wasn't getting.

I'm happy to say that I bought a used DX50 from the forums here today. I should have it in a few days. I'm really excited to see what it can do with these headphones. I'm even more excited about the high resolution capability. I have a 24bit, 96khz recording of Damien Rice's newest album that I am dying to hear with my upgraded set up. I hope I'm not setting myself up for some disappointment in that regard, but I'm still excited.

But again, thank you for excellent advice! It's really working out for me.

Now I'm going to go listen to some more stuff.

Feb 24, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #13 of 14
I thought I'd check back in after spending a week with the HD598s and a few days with the iBasso DX50.

The Sennheiser HD598s continue to be amazing. I like the larger soundstage and airy feel. It's been fantastic for jazz. I listened to Charles Mingus's The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady last night and it was so clear and nuanced. They're not as good for heavier music and some modern rock albums, but still better than I'm used to. I expect that one day I'd like to get a complementary set of headphones that are more exciting and "thumpy." The Harmon Kardon headphones sound awful in comparison. I have them for travel purposes, but they sound veiled and dull and are kind of distracting. I may look to upgrade my portable headphones in the future. I doubt the resale on these is any good, but I only paid $50 for them anyway.

I'm still using my Accidentally Extraordinary headphones. They fit the modern albums a little better and are preferable for using with my iPad or to work around the house.

The DX50 has also been wonderful. It's a noticeable improvement over my iPod classic, but not so much that it ruins the iPod experience for me. I still use the iPod at work and on the go. The iBasso has become a dedicated at home option. In fact, I'm going to make myself a dock for it so I can sit it on my nightstand and listen without having to worry about dropping it or anything.

So overall, I'm happy with both choices and would recommend both to anyone looking into them.

Feb 24, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #14 of 14
That's awesome. I'm sure you gotta be loving that setup.

For rock, you might consider trying to demo some Grados at some point. Even the SR80 models sound great with most rock because they have forward mids and excellent transient response that just do something magical with guitar. Completely different sonically from the HD598s. Sorta like trying to compare filet mignon to sushi (lol).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back