*Updated* JVC Victor HP-DX700 *Review*
May 9, 2009 at 1:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 58

Townyj

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok so i have been away on a short holiday for the past 9 days. Ive been itching real bad to get back home, which is not a good thing at all. The main reason is because around 11 days ago i ordered a pair of DX700's from The Seyo Shop in Japan.

Here are a few pics of the phones
wink.gif
I have retitled this Post and i will be doing it again... Once i have burnt these beautiful phones in for a nice review.

So keep your forum browsing eyes open for the review in the next week or so.

A few first impressions....

The phones are huuuuuge compared to any other phones i have owned! Also the color of the wooden cups is alot darker then the pics make out.

The packaging is quite good, but even though it looks like they come in a velvet lined box its just for some initial presentation. The velvet is just wrapped around a piece of cardboard which is shaped to hold the phones in place. One thing that struck me instantly is the cable.... Wow it has to be the bomb proof, very thick and tough even if it is covered in a material.

Onto some sound.... The bass is quite tight and in no way overwhelming. Very controlled and snappy. I would say it is on par with the W5000's i recently owned, maybe a little more impactful. I think the phones have a coloured sound, but i do like it already. I have yet to put a phone on and like it straight away, this has to be a first!

Anyhow i will leave the rest of the info for a nice writeup once they have settled and burnt in
wink.gif

*Review* 20+Hrs Burn In Time:

I left these playing over night and pretty much all day. They have quite an engaging sound after leaving them to burn in for the past 20hrs or so. I did like the sound straight out of the box, which is really a step in the other direction. After really taking my time to like any of the other phones i have owned previously. In this review i am not going to compare them to my current 780's. As i feel they are in a different sort of league, even though the 780's are very good for the price.

Build Quality/Comfort:

The phones are very well built and feel sturdy. Im quite sure the pad's are pleather and so is the headband material, I have yet to try the DX1000's. But I hear the headband can be quite uncomfortable for some people, this doesnt seem to be the case with the DX700! It is a very comfortable fit with the headband and pads. Definately in the same league as my previous DT990's which were very good for comfort. The cup support's seem to be made of hard plastic, they can swivel slightly in all directions which might be a plus for some fit issue's. I think these have to be one of the best looking headphones ive owned, up there with my previous W5000's. No fit issue's though
wink.gif
The cable is the thickest cable ive seen on any of my previous phones, similar material found on the DX1000's or ATH-A900 cable's.

Mids/Treble:

They definately have some treble sparkle and the mids are great! Very engaging sound, some people may think differently as this is my first proper review of a phone. I have been listening to these with different genre's including Rock, Alternative, Pop, Dance/Electro. They really do well with Rock such as Boston, Creedence and pretty much all genre's ive thrown at them.
I would say the mids are a little forward, the treble is great. Im thinking about selling my 780's as these seem to do the little extra they dont. Quite a warm sounding phone, but not that much to make them seem slow and dark.

Bass/Lows:

With music like Electro and Dance, the DX700's bass impact is done very well with tight controlled sounding bass which extend's low like my previous W5000's. Quite textured and in no way bloated to my ears. It's in the area of sounding perfect to my ear's. Even with Rock... The strum of a bass guitar and the kick of a bass drum seem to be done quite well with these phones.

Highs:
Ok i have never been real good with explaining high's, but with some song's it seem's to be a tad rolled off.... The highs are sweet sounding and i have yet to feel any sort of discomfort when listening to many different genre's. Maybe a little recessed.... Im not really sure.

Soundstage/Headstage etc:

This is where i have been getting some smile's and grin's! The Soundstage is quite large and get's you involved in the music... Definately above or on par with the DT990's i owned. I would say the band is 1/2 row's infront of you and the music seem's to flow around you. Very nice sounding indeed. Instrument placement is done quite well also.

All in all i am definitely very happy with these phones. They are doing everything right with my music. Look gorgeous and are Comfortable. What more could i ask for
smily_headphones1.gif
I know some people may feel differently towards them, but to my ear's they are great!

Cheers, Joel.

100+Hr Impression's sometime down the track
wink.gif

CIMG3634.jpg

CIMG3635.jpg

CIMG3636.jpg

CIMG3638.jpg

CIMG3639.jpg

CIMG3642.jpg

May 9, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #3 of 58
Oh, i have not heard the D7000 sorry
smily_headphones1.gif
I would love to do a head to head if i got the chance to borrow a pair or end up with a pair sometime down the track.

These have been on my buy list for a long time now and finally got around to purchasing some. Quite excited!

May 9, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #4 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Townyj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, i have not heard the D7000 sorry
smily_headphones1.gif
I would love to do a head to head if i got the chance to borrow a pair or end up with a pair sometime down the track.

These have been on my buy list for a long time now and finally got around to purchasing some. Quite excited!

I'm sure!! I'd be excited too. I wish these were available in the US. I'm really considering a high-end closed headphone and I'm going to be very careful and do as much research as I can before deciding. So far the Denon and these Victors are the two I'm most interested in.

May 9, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #7 of 58
Hello, Townyj! How about a comparison between your new DX700 and HFI-780?
biggrin.gif

May 9, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #8 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by samurai_dota /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the JVC victor is available in the US. You can buy it at audiocubes.

I purchased mine directly from Japan, Audiocubes is waaaaay over priced compared to what i got mine for.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Almoxil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello, Townyj! How about a comparison between your new DX700 and HFI-780?
biggrin.gif

Well i suppose i could do a mild comparison of the HFI-780 and DX700, im sure they will be two seperate beast's. But it could be interesting
smily_headphones1.gif

May 9, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #9 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by samurai_dota /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the JVC victor is available in the US. You can buy it at audiocubes.

Yes, I knew that it's possible to get them in the US, but what I meant was, I wish they were carried by US retailers and not imported and sold at a big mark-up. I'm a value shopper and when you have the D7000 going for $525 from J&R (when pre-ordered), that's going to make the imported JVC a tough sale for me at least.

May 9, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #10 of 58
Quote:

Well i suppose i could do a mild comparison of the HFI-780 and DX700, im sure they will be two seperate beast's. But it could be interesting
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, they sure seem to be a world apart from each other. Nevertheless, I guess it will be an interesting comparison.
biggrin.gif

May 9, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #12 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I knew that it's possible to get them in the US, but what I meant was, I wish they were carried by US retailers and not imported and sold at a big mark-up. I'm a value shopper and when you have the D7000 going for $525 from J&R (when pre-ordered), that's going to make the imported JVC a tough sale for me at least.

Its definately hard to beat the Denon within that price range.... I went with the DX700, because no one has taken the step yet and purchased a pair. Plus they just look damn comfy and sexy!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 9, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #14 of 58
Quote:

Just ordered a pair of DX700's from a good source
wink.gif

I shall try and give my first detailed review on a pair of headphones once they arrive over the next few weeks.

Cant wait to have a listen
biggrin.gif

jvc-hp-dx700.jpg

Quoting a picture because it is made of sex. Need pictures of this on your head when you get it, always wondered how big they were in proportion to the rest of the head.

Enjoy your sexy headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 9, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #15 of 58

Users who are viewing this thread

Back