Updated iTunes (Featuring iTunes Match)
Nov 16, 2011 at 11:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

nikp

Headphoneus Supremus
I updated iTunes today and found a "Create Apple Lossless Version" under the "Advanced" tab. I tried the feature and it turned the file into a gigantic 51MB file (over 900kbps). The difference in sound quality is there but I'm not sure how mp3s can be uncompressed. Thoughts?

Nov 16, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #2 of 15
Mp3's can't be 'uncompressed', what you've just done was create a lossless copy of the mp3.
tongue.gif

That feature is probably for people with WAV's or something.

Nov 17, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #3 of 15
Deadlylover is correct. The "create apple lossless" feature is mainly for changing bigger WAV files into smaller Lossless files. No point in using the feature to upgrade files. Making a MP3 in to lossless will only make a bigger file it will not make it sound any better. 

Nov 17, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #4 of 15
This feature has been there for ages, not sure where though as I always rip lossless my CD's but when I right click on a file it gives me the option to create a lossy file but it also bizarrely offered me the ability to create a lossless file which it already was! It has had that feature for as long as I can remember.

Nov 17, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #5 of 15
I'd ask you why you're using iTunes but this is more pressing...

Quote:
I updated iTunes today and found a "Create Apple Lossless Version" under the "Advanced" tab. I tried the feature and it turned the file into a gigantic 51MB file (over 900kbps). The difference in sound quality is there but I'm not sure how mp3s can be uncompressed. Thoughts?

LOL, are you saying the new larger file sounds better? Just go and convert your whole library then...

Nov 17, 2011 at 7:36 AM Post #7 of 15

Quote:
LOL, are you saying the new larger file sounds better? Just go and convert your whole library then...

Nope, it just sounds a tad louder.

I use iTunes because I am stuck in an Apple ecosystem. Besides, my iTunes library is very organised. I've ever tried moving to Foobar on the PC and the tags screwed up.

Nov 17, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #8 of 15

Quote:
Nope, it just sounds a tad louder.

I use iTunes because I am stuck in an Apple ecosystem. Besides, my iTunes library is very organised. I've ever tried moving to Foobar on the PC and the tags screwed up.

This is part of the reason I don't want to pick any source other than an iPod.

Nov 17, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #9 of 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikp /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Besides, my iTunes library is very organised. I've ever tried moving to Foobar on the PC and the tags screwed up.

This is a problem I have with Foobar as well.  If Foobar could use the same tags that Itunes used then I would prefer Foobar.

Nov 17, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
This is a problem I have with Foobar as well.  If Foobar could use the same tags that Itunes used then I would prefer Foobar.

What version ID3 tags are you using if I might ask? I'd suggest selecting all tracks, right click, and convert ID3 tags to v 2.3. Haven't run into tagging issues yet between iTunes and CM7 music player. Google Music also reads the tags properly. Not sure about their quality though, as I question how high bitrate it streams it. I doubt higher than 256kbps.

Nov 17, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #11 of 15

Quote:
What version ID3 tags are you using if I might ask? I'd suggest selecting all tracks, right click, and convert ID3 tags to v 2.3. Haven't run into tagging issues yet between iTunes and CM7 music player. Google Music also reads the tags properly. Not sure about their quality though, as I question how high bitrate it streams it. I doubt higher than 256kbps.

Google Music - 320kbps mp3.

Nov 17, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #13 of 15
x3! I have used a few different file libraries and non are as easy to use as iTunes I find. I simply want to rip CD's onto my computer then transfer them to my classic, this is simple and easy. Yet there are so many complaints and so many people who say other methods are better and offer more flexibility and your not stuck with Apple but perhaps they forget some of us like being "stuck" with apple and some of use are not computer nerds who like to make a simple act a complicated one just because there is an N'th degree of it being better!

Nov 17, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #14 of 15
That's what I thought. I think it's not worth the hassle of using a player with a slightly better SQ while sacrificing ease of use / nice interface / etc.

Nov 17, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #15 of 15

Quote:

Converting now.  Should be done tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back