Updated: HifiMAN HM-801 Portable Music Player Preorder
Apr 18, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #1,366 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by fierce_freak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm still trying to decide between getting the GAME card or building my own portable "amp" to use with the HM-801. The gain is simply too much with my JH-13's, and I have to listen a bit louder than I normally would to get no channel imbalance.

I'm sure a diy 801 amp module for use with JH13's would be of interest to quite a few here

Apr 18, 2010 at 10:49 PM Post #1,367 of 1,469
Well I'm a little disappointed too right now as I received my Hifiman HM-801 but the power supply says it only runs on 110 V as well. The product specifications on head direct and even here clearly state that it should run between 110 and 240 V and I've even told headdirect that I am based in Germany prior to shipment. Already wrote headdirect about that let's see if they can exchange...
Although I still hate to wait longer to finally use it especially now that almost all flights out of Europe are grounded due to the volcano outbreak on Iceland...

Apr 26, 2010 at 6:17 AM Post #1,371 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by Balistyx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I buy a HiFiMan now, will it have PCM1704UK or PFCM1704U?

The PCM1704UK, if by a low chance they give you a PCM1704U, they will alter the buffer chips so the sound quality is NO less than the UK version.

Jun 9, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #1,374 of 1,469
This is the beginning of what I hope to be a longish report and I want to start by thanking Fang for loaning me the HM-801. I am also writing this for the not so technical user (like me) on what to do and hopefully what not to do. Finally I will write a "wish list" of features/options.

BTW, I have had the pleasure to both buy and get loaner pieces from Fang in the past and I have been very pleased with his customer service. Needless to say I was excited to try this unit without having to front the $790 asking price. I did have to buy a 32 GB Kingston Type 4 SD Card, I bought it from Newegg for about $85 including S&H. Note: If the initial impressions hold over the next couple of weeks I may have be buying this unit. 
facepalm.png

Anyways this is not going to be so much an impressions thread but more of what people like me need to do to make this unit work properly. I say this because I am not a very knowledgeable computer person and recently I made the transition to an iMac which further made things very difficult. So the first thing I did was to transfer a large number of my Apple Lossless files to an external USB 250 GB HD. I did this to avoid messing up the iMac which I am just beginning to learn how to use. Once done I took the HD to an old (2004) Dell PC and did a search including starting a thread here on how to convert the ALAC files to FLAC. I intended to give the HM-801 the best possible files, just like I do with my iPods where I use ALAC files.

I took the advice of many and downloaded the trial version of dbpoweramp, of course I did not set it up correctly on the first try nor the second try. 
mad.gif
 This meant I spent about 3 days in converting about 7,300 ALAC files instead of just 1 day. I have to thank all who assisted this "old fart" in learning (at least partially) a new software and method to convert files. BTW, not all of the 3 days were lost since I had to wait for the 32 GB SD Card to arrive. 
smiley.gif

So today I finally was able to load about 1,150 FLAC files unto the 32 GB SD Card and I have been able to finally listen to the HM-801. I need to learn how to navigate through the various buttons specially to locate specific songs, until I learn it is a pain to find songs and I am just listening in the same order I loaded the files in. Luckily I loaded them alphabetically so it is not a total pain to use.

As you probably know the HM-801 retails for $790 plus if you wish to have the same capacity as an iPod Classic you would need five 32 GB SD Cards at about another $410 (some savings in S&H are realized) for a grand total of $1,200 as compared with about $850 for an iPod Classic, good amp, and a good line out dock. The HM-801 by itself is larger than an iPod but when you include the amp and line out dock the HM-801 is smaller. Since I am comparing the two I should mention the iPod Classic play time is about 3 times that of the HM-801, say 25 hours to 8 hours both using lossless files.

As far as carrying the HM-801 I am not aware of any case for it so IMO it is more of a transportable unless you do not mind risking damaging the HM-801 by carrying on a cargo pant pocket. I guess a camera bag would work as an alternative for many so it may not be too bad of an option.

For the first listen I used a HiFiMAN RE-252 IEM and a Grado RS-1 with the 1/4" to 1/8" Grado converter. The first two songs were by Nina Simone and Nicole Henry and I also asked "she who must be obeyed" to listen and provide feedback (she was very impressed and liked it a lot). 
cheesy.gif
 How does it sound? To this old tired ears it has more detail, clarity, and treble extension than an iPod Classic 6th Generation, iPhone 3G, and Nano 2nd Generation. I also hear more air between notes and female vocals are more engaging and it is easier to understand the words being sung (weird ain't it). Again these are very quick impressions and I will let the "new toy" mentality settle over the next couple of weeks before I can truly say more.

If I was to start a wish list it would include:

1. A better instruction manual either electronic or hardcopy.
2. Longer play time, I would suggest a 20 hour target.
3. A way to shut down the screen to extend the battery life.
4. Inclusion of a case, even if it adds $30.
5. The case should have a place to carry an additional two SD Cards.
6. Ability to use the upcoming 64 GB and 128 GB SD Cards.
7. Gapless which I believe it is being worked on as we speak.
8. A more common A/C plug into the HM-801 so it would be easier to secure wall warts replacements in the future.

I hope to be able to add more in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers.

PD: Sorry for the long post.

Jun 11, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #1,376 of 1,469
Since I posted the above I have been able to set the number of seconds (20 seconds) for the screen to shut itself, thanks Ed. I have also continued to be amazed by the sound quality out of this unit and I can see why so many have enjoyed its detailed and clear sound.

Jun 29, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #1,377 of 1,469
So does the HM-801, as of v0.19, support tag browsing rather than file name browsing? I pull ALAC files from my current iPod and convert them to FLAC, but all the files names are like 'BUES' and such random four letters. They are, however, correctly tagged.

EDIT: Would the unit play 24bit/44.1kHz FLAC files? It does 16/44.1 and 24/96, but what about 24/44.1? I do have such files, a lot.

Jun 30, 2010 at 9:54 AM Post #1,380 of 1,469
LOL
Although it does give you an idea about the size of the thing. I did hold a Clip (not Plus) in my hand for a while.
What about tag browsing? Some folks say that if you select 'ARTIST' all the songs would be mixed up. No good. I got the entire Pink Floyd in lossless and I don't want the songs to be all mixed up when I select 'Pink Floyd'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back