UPDATED!£¾¶¶۞Ω♫®³How to insert symbols into posts on Head-Fi
Jul 5, 2008 at 4:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

digger945

Headphoneus Supremus
How to insert symbols, such as symbol for squared and cubed, also different forms of currency, on different parts of Head-Fi like search and forum posts, etc. I am using Vista laptop without the extra number keypad on the righthand side.
I have tried the Alt+# method, also tried the Character map thing, without success.
This is a great opportunity for someone to make me look like a fool!
Go for it.
Thanks in advance,
Scott

UPDATED: See my post at the bottom of this page.☺♫♠ᵝ۩¼£©%ʥά or now just Ck my Sig ↓↓↓

Jul 5, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #2 of 30
You could go into Word, manually insert a symbol in there, highlight it, copy it, then paste it into here.

Jul 5, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #3 of 30
Character Map is found somewhere.. in the menus. Don't know for sure.

Jul 5, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #5 of 30
That's what I thought, MarchingMule, and guys, just thought you might be able to do it anytime and anywhere without having to go into Word. Vista, highly over-rated if you ask me. I think it would slow down a Cray Supercomputer if given the chance.
Thanks all,
Scott

Jul 5, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #6 of 30
Don't seem like its all that easy in Vista. No surprise really...
tongue.gif

Thank god I have "Characters" within a short key command reach ('Command+Alt+t' that is).

picture1jf8.png

Jul 6, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #8 of 30
I dont have the command key, and it looks like you should be able to right-click and bring up the option for a character map, somewhere! I cant even access the Character Map without goin' to the Help section.

Jul 6, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #9 of 30
This is why I like the compose key on Linux (I use the left "windows" key for it), just tap it then two keys that add together to the symbol I want.

[Compose] [L] [-] = £
[Compose] [E] [=] = €
[Compose] [^] [2] = ²
[Compose] [+] [-] = ±

And so on...

Jul 6, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #10 of 30
Found this, it's purrfect for me.
Inserting Symbols with Windows Vista Character Map - For Dummies
Just open the Character Map when you fire up your rig, or whatever, Double click the desired symbol, minimize the CMap, right click your search pane, or post reply pane, then select paste and viola, the character appears!!
Cool!!! check out the link if you got Vista.
Enjoy,
Scott

Cool, you don't even have to minimize the character map to the system tray, just pick the symbols you want, as many as you want, move the CMap to the side, and when you click the page behind it to fill in your symbols, the CMap goes to the sys tray and waits for you to use it later.♀♂☺☻¥§¢†₩
Now can someone show me how to make a decent Pecan Pie?

Jul 6, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't seem like its all that easy in Vista. No surprise really...
tongue.gif

Thank god I have "Characters" within a short key command reach ('Command+Alt+t' that is).

picture1jf8.png

Dude, you rock, I learn something from you every week - nice work!

Jul 6, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #12 of 30
For simpler ascii characters I find the ascii code - such as here, and hold down the Alt key while entering the ascii code. It works fine for me at least ???

To enter a superscript 3, as in the M³ or Mini³, I just hold the Alt key and type 0179, or for the superscript 2 it's Alt 0178 (²), and even the micro symbol Alt 0181 (µ), or even one for the ßeta22 amp (Alt 0223) (apparently that symbol is called a SZ ligature ???)

This doesn't give you all the fancy wingdings symbols, but it is good for a few of the simpler ones.

Jul 6, 2008 at 5:40 AM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blutarsky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dude, you rock, I learn something from you every week - nice work!

I know, I know!
biggrin.gif

Its always a pleasure to share knowledge and help out.

Jul 6, 2008 at 6:59 AM Post #14 of 30
.-- .... --- --- .--. - .. . -....- ..-. ..- -.-. -.- .. -. --. / -.. --- --- .-.-.- / .. ..-. / -.-- --- ..- / .-- .- -. - / - --- / .-. . .- .-.. .-.. -.-- / .. -- .--. .-. . ... ... / ..- ... / ..-. .. --. ..- .-. . / --- ..- - / - .... .. ... / .-.. .. - - .-.. . / -.. .. - - -.-- .-.-.- .-.-.- .-.-.-

Jul 6, 2008 at 8:42 AM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by archosman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.-- .... --- --- .--. - .. . -....- ..-. ..- -.-. -.- .. -. --. / -.. --- --- .-.-.- / .. ..-. / -.-- --- ..- / .-- .- -. - / - --- / .-. . .- .-.. .-.. -.-- / .. -- .--. .-. . ... ... / ..- ... / ..-. .. --. ..- .-. . / --- ..- - / - .... .. ... / .-.. .. - - .-.. . / -.. .. - - -.-- .-.-.- .-.-.- .-.-.-

LOL.

...---...---...---...---...---...---...

That's all I know, and would be handy if I ever got stranded and needed the Coast Guard to bail me out.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back