Update: Accidentally Got a ... Deal
Mar 23, 2009 at 9:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Evshrug

Headphoneus Supremus
This is a question of ethics...
And also my first post (moths in my wallet, lol)

I just tried jumping into my first high-end headphone, the Audio Technica AD700. Seems very well suited to my tastes, and I was happy to get one. The box arrived today, but instead I got the closed A700 - which costs about $50 more MSRP. I don't really need another noise-suppressing can - I have some IEMs that I'm very happy with for that purpose - but would this can be as good or better after breaking it in?

And to save posting space, I'd also like a favor for a link to pink noise that I could use to break in my new 'phones!
smily_headphones1.gif

Update: I already contacted the seller for an exchange because I want the soundstage and airy-ness of an open cup, but I still think it would be cool to hear input. And a link for pink noise!

Edit Update 3/30/09
I just got the new box, ripped it open, and they sent me ANOTHER pair of A700s! Come on! I'm calling the company again, but I'm thinking refund and too-good-to-be-true at this point!

Added to that last update: I think I recognize the scratches on the box... Did they send the exact same unit back? I put them up for sale on my campus and asked a few forum members, but ultimately I'm giving them a third chance. Why? I guess I'm a nice guy.

Update 4/14/09
Still no headphones. I tried calling Electronics Expo today, but a few seconds after someone answered I was disconnected. To try something else, I used the LiveChat feature on their page. I immediately asked for the number for a manager/supervisor, but I was evaded. The guy I did talk to pulled up my order, and asked me for the UPC on the item's box... which of course I didn't have because I'd already shipped it back and it was already sitting in their warehouse! However he promised to personally go and grab the AD700 and ship it.

That is good, but after waiting 3 days short of a month something like that should be expected. I wanted my shipping refunded, and maybe something else. The guy didn't respond to that - nor did he link me to the manager at all.

So I posted negative feedback on Amazon... and BOOM I got a call from Bruno the manager, who seemed to know all about the transaction and what I had just been saying to the other guy, and offered me a refund on the shipping, and a $20 discount on the headphones - and asked that I take down my negative feedback on amazon.

Moral of the story, don't be nice, you won't get anything until you damage something they care about. I figure I gave them three chances and they were still screwing around, so that feedback ain't coming down at least until I get the $20 and shipping refunded. Maybe never.

Mar 23, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #2 of 37
This happened to me as well. I listened to the A700 and realized that it was what many have said...Lacking in detail and just muddy overall. So I sent it back last Thursday and I am hoping it gets to me by the end of March. If you are happy with your current closed can, send it back and get the AD700. It sounds so wonderful the way people have been describing it.

Mar 23, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #4 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evshrug /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And to save posting space, I'd also like a favor for a link to pink noise that I could use to break in my new 'phones!
smily_headphones1.gif

And a link for pink noise!

Pink noise download

Mar 23, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #5 of 37
You just accidentally a great deal?
redface.gif

Yea the same thing happened to me. Did you order from Electronics Expo on Amazon? I was going to send mine back, but I have now decided to keep it due to my preferring bass over soundstage. Or maybe I'm just too lazy to go through the trouble of returning it. V_V

Mar 23, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #6 of 37
I order a hd 595 and got a hd600 ..... Well .... not really, but I would be wildly conflicted whether to be honest and send it back or to just keep it if I did (though I think i'd send it back in [I already have a hd600
wink.gif
]).

Mar 24, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #7 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_love_hina /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You just accidentally a great deal?
redface.gif

Yea the same thing happened to me. Did you order from Electronics Expo on Amazon? I was going to send mine back, but I have now decided to keep it due to my preferring bass over soundstage. Or maybe I'm just too lazy to go through the trouble of returning it. V_V

I could have sworn I saw yours on ebay yesterday. Is this not you? (no, I'm not stalking you)

Mar 24, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #8 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deathsnapper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I could have sworn I saw yours on ebay yesterday. Is this not you? (no, I'm not stalking you)

Yea I pre-listed it because I knew they probably sent me A700's. Actually received it today like 3 hours ago, so gonna take it down. No one seems to want it anyway
frown.gif

(Oh and I listed it in case they tried to make me pay for return shipping or something... in that case it would've been more worth it to just pawn it on eBay)

Mar 25, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #9 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_love_hina /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea I pre-listed it because I knew they probably sent me A700's. Actually received it today like 3 hours ago, so gonna take it down. No one seems to want it anyway
frown.gif

(Oh and I listed it in case they tried to make me pay for return shipping or something... in that case it would've been more worth it to just pawn it on eBay)

LOL

Well yeah it was from Electronics Expo. For noise isolation purposes I think my Ety i6P in ear canalphones do a better job. That also gives a clue as to my sound preferences!

They (E.Ex) paid for the return shipping, except I paid a dollar for tape and repackaging. Oh well a dollar. It shipped out on the same day as my original post, so now I'm just waiting for the magician to shuffle his hat and get me my Purple Haze!

And thanks to the guys who dropped me a pink noise download, it's a big help friends!

Mar 25, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #10 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deathsnapper /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Not stalking, just monitoring your activities
atsmile.gif

Mar 25, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #11 of 37
the A700 and the AD700 are usually around the same price..

I wouldn't say you got a great deal.. or rather, any more of a deal than you did when you bought the AD700's

Mar 25, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #12 of 37
I too was shipped the A700's from Electronics Expo. I am not using them in a hi fi setting. I have them plugged into my LCD TV to use while playing PS3, and they sound great to me. I personally enjoy a little bass, makes shooting a gun, and explosion that much more immersive. I used them this past weekend while playing Resident Evil 5. I was thinking about sending them back for the AD700's mostly for the sound stage when I play COD 4, and WAW, but not sure it's worth the hassle of packing them up sending them back, and waiting for them to send me a replacement.

Mar 30, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #15 of 37
DaBones
it seems like that has been the standard case when buying from Electronics Expo during their $68 sale. Stoopid me hemmed and hawed on the fence until the price went up like $10, but oh well. I already sent the A700s back and the AD700s should arrive tomorrow... I sincerely hope. I was able to call the company (based in NJ I believe) and get an american guy who was pretty nice, but even so I took his statement that Expo was a reputable company with a grain of salt, and I'll update when I get something.

Apat-N
Seems that way... here and in Headroom. I'm thinking of buying a line-out cable for my iPod from Headroom mostly as a (profit insignificant) gesture of thanks for amazing info. How do you like your amp?

OpticElement & everyone else providing the burn-in links:
Thanks a lot for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back