*Update 5/7*Project log - Disassembling the Grado RS1 & Modding and Thunderpants Mod(with pics)
Apr 3, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #31 of 182
I don't know if blackstar drivers were ever classified as pink. I see a little pink around the voice coil of your RS1 driver, looks similar to my SR60 right now. I thought the whole diaphragm had to be pink

Apr 3, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #33 of 182

Looks like they have always had trouble with gluing drivers in. They did a real sloppy job on those.

This is one of those instances where Grado "workmanship" takes a beating.  The rest of the headphone may be as right as rain but the big, drippy glue splotches take a toll on the Grado reputation.  From my perspective, it seems like the reason for them is pretty simple: The cavity is not cut tight enough to make a natural tight fit.  Instead, it's large enough that the driver would just rattle around or simply drop out - if it weren't for the glue.  But glue - whether we're talking about hot glue or wood glue - can take on a life of its own.  If not handled carefully, it can make a real mess.  Here's where Grado went to a good deal of trouble to create mahogany shells that fit together with a certain elegance, along with grill cloth and other little touches, only for the whole deal to get iffy over some nasty glue marks.  

I hate the glue.  I don't really want to work with it.  I'd rather cut a tight space for the driver and use screws if I have to.

Apr 3, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #34 of 182

Still considering the screws for the drivers when the hf2 shells come back. im just terrified to do it.
Quote:

This is one of those instances where Grado "workmanship" takes a beating.  The rest of the headphone may be as right as rain but the big, drippy glue splotches take a toll on the Grado reputation.  From my perspective, it seems like the reason for them is pretty simple: The cavity is not cut tight enough to make a natural tight fit.  Instead, it's large enough that the driver would just rattle around or simply drop out - if it weren't for the glue.  But glue - whether we're talking about hot glue or wood glue - can take on a life of its own.  If not handled carefully, it can make a real mess.  Here's where Grado went to a good deal of trouble to create mahogany shells that fit together with a certain elegance, along with grill cloth and other little touches, only for the whole deal to get iffy over some nasty glue marks.  

I hate the glue.  I don't really want to work with it.  I'd rather cut a tight space for the driver and use screws if I have to.

Apr 3, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #35 of 182

you can spray goo gone extreme on the screens and take the black off. The silver screens with a dark wood would look nice also.
Quote:
Alright now I'm getting pretty excited. The hard part is done and now I'm scheming.  

1) Going to sand and refinish the cups.  Think I'm going to try Minwax Red Mahogany stain and then let them soak in Scarlet Red Rit Dye followed by a shiny clear coat finish.  
2) Pop out the screens and replace with a nice fine copper mesh of some sort.
3) Going to build new rodlock blocks out of Mahogany.
4) Moving the RS1 badges up to the rodlock blocks and attaching them.
5) Recabling of course, but still not sure what wire I'm going to use.
6) I may or may not refinish the gimbals that hold the cups in place.  
7) Also going to remove the other cheesecloth screen and buff both faces of the driver.  I started with one driver already.  I'm going to be sanding then using Novus #2.  I think the drivers a gorgeous to look at, so I'm not going to replace the cheesecloth.
8) I'm keeping the beautiful condition headband the way it is even though I've got an itch to build another one of a lighter tan color.  

@Bill- Hey those look pretty nice.  

Before: You can see alot of residue from the glue.

After alittle sanding so far.  I need to get some fine grit tomorrow so I haven't polished with the Novus yet.

Apr 3, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #36 of 182

Quote:
@kite7- To me the actual drivers themselves look pink.  I have a good pic of pinks from a pair of SR200 and it looks similar.  I guess I'm not 100% sure.  See for yourselves.

They're not as pink but they look pink to me. The SR200's were taken in a photobooth so the lighting is better.  The RS1's were taken on the fly.  Ha, I'm glad you asked me...this is a great side by side.

Also, changed the title to project log, since that's what it's turned in to.

The Grado pink drivers got their name from the pink cloth, not the drivers.
It looks like the SR200 in your picture have the HP1000 drivers, not the pink ones. Just to confirm- take a look at the headband. It should be wider and look different from the other SR Grados.
HP1000 drivers were used in some of the early prestige series headphones. Apparently it is possible to find these drivers in all of them but I have only seen them in SR100,200,300 and 325.

Apr 4, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #37 of 182
Well huh?  I did not know that.  So, ok, it looks like the cheesecloth on my RS1's are pink where air flows through.  Does that qualify them as pink drivers?

My RS1's have a wider headband with alot of cushion, even more so than any other original Grado headband I've seen. 

The SR200's I borrowed at the narrow leather headband like the HP1000's. 

Yeah, and I guess the SR200's had the Black Star drivers not pinks then.  I'll let my friend know which version they are.
normal_smile .gif
  I misinformed him that they were the pinks which seems pretty intuitive to me since they ARE quite pink.

Apr 4, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #38 of 182

Quote:
Well huh?  I did not know that.  So, ok, it looks like the cheesecloth on my RS1's are pink where air flows through.  Does that qualify them as pink drivers?

My RS1's have a wider headband with alot of cushion, even more so than any other original Grado headband I've seen. 

The SR200's I borrowed at the narrow leather headband like the HP1000's. 

Yeah, and I guess the SR200's had the Black Star drivers not pinks then.  I'll let my friend know which version they are.
normal_smile .gif
  I misinformed him that they were the pinks which seems pretty intuitive to me since they ARE quite pink.

You have a pair of nice vintage RS1 with pink drivers for sure. Be gentle with them...Sorry, too late.
biggrin.gif

Apr 4, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #39 of 182

Quote:
You have a pair of nice vintage RS1 with pink drivers for sure. Be gentle with them...Sorry, too late.
biggrin.gif

Awesome, thanks!

Hey Schwally, how did you remove the metal screens?  Mine look they aren't removable....

Apr 4, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #41 of 182
Got a few things done tonight.  Cleaned up cup openings where the drivers will sit and polished up one of the drivers some more.  All done with the dremel multi-tool of awesomeness.

Apr 4, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #43 of 182
Yup, they just rest in there.  Yeah, it's a pretty big gap but not worried about it.  Can fill with wood glue or wood putty.  I'm sure I'll figure out something.  

How did you get your metal screens out?  Mine are really stuck in there.

Apr 4, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #44 of 182
God I wish i wouldnt have seen this thread. I give into temptation too easy. I took mine apart again tonight and experimented with my dremel. Not a good idea since im not the type that can just pick up a tool that can damage something if not used properly. sooooooooooooooo, I have some fixin to do. I sanded to close on the inside of the hole near the lettering. Oh well, ill fix it somehow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back