Up-C Down-C Left-C Right-C ABC+Start - ...And The Battle Is Won
Jun 18, 2007 at 4:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Thelonious Monk

Headphoneus Supremus
i just got this album today. it's pretty amazing. post-rock with a bit of energy, although a tad repetitive at times. the song "Comfort Me, I've Lost My Heart" give me a huge eargasm, starting halfway through. any other fans?

here's some other stuff i got today:

Loss Of A Child - Caught And Lost (available free on archive.org)
Microfilm - A Journey To The 75th
Brass Knuckle Surfer - The Art Of Life

really, just a shot in the dark at anyone who wants to talk obscure postrock.

Jun 19, 2007 at 2:33 AM Post #2 of 7
Ya, they're pretty good. When I first got into them, I always thought "Contra" when I said their name, but that's not right. Do you know what game they are referencing?

Anywho, I also had a post-rock stint a while back. I started off with the big guns such as GYBE, EITS, Silver Mt. Zion (actually didn't really like them at all), Mogwai, Tortoise, Do Make Say Think etc. and branched off from there. You should check out The Samuel Jackson Five, Yndi Halda, 65daysofstatic, Efterklang and Saxon Shore.

P.S. I haven't been keeping real close tabs, but it seems that you and I agree on music in almost every thread I see. Kudos!

Jun 19, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #3 of 7
I'm not sure, but it looks like one of the codes from Goldeneye on N64.

Jun 19, 2007 at 8:39 PM Post #4 of 7
If it's stuff with a bit of energy, I might have to give them a try. i really love post-rock, but some stuff like Godspeed is a bit too slow and quiet, depending on the mood I'm in.

Jun 19, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #5 of 7
/Dons thick black-framed coke bottle glasses

Definitely sounds like the Konami code, but if my memory is up to snuff (which it DEFINITELY isn't), then the band's name is the code to enable blood on the Sega Genesis version of Mortal Kombat.

/Removes thick black-framed coke bottle glasses

[EDIT] Wrong. It was Sonic. MK blood code on Genesis was ABACABB. Anyone catch the reference there?
wink.gif

Jun 19, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by ozstrike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it's stuff with a bit of energy, I might have to give them a try. i really love post-rock, but some stuff like Godspeed is a bit too slow and quiet, depending on the mood I'm in.

Up-C etc etc etc (let's refer to them as WBNE, or worst band name ever, for the remainder of this topic) is fairly energetic. the portion of the song "Comfort Me, I've Lost My Heart" that gave me the eargasm is a dense, energetic explosion of beauty. i sound like i'm writing a love note to my girlfriend but whatever!

it's definitely a sega game. i don't really care enough to find out which one though. and i've definitely been getting into more obscure postrock lately; The Samuel Jackson Five is great, along with tons of other bands i've recently discovered. Microfilm is an awesome french band that uses samples in their recordings. Loss of a Child is a UK band that draws more from classical than most postrock bands, and their catalog is available for free on archive.org. then there's Linda Martini, a portuguese band who would be damn near perfect without vocals. lots more but i'm lazy. and i know i mentioned the first two in the OP but i wanted to elaborate a bit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back