Universal or custom?
Jan 31, 2011 at 6:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Xozz

Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I'm in the process of getting a portable rig going and I've just started to look around for a decent pair of IEMs. I really don't know a whole lot when it comes to them, so I thought I might as well throw my question out there. Basically my question is, with a limited budget (around $250 tops) is it a better idea to get higher end universals or lower end customs? I've never had any experience with customs, so I don't know if the design would cancel out the factor of probably having a better driver in a pair of universals. I have a hunch its probably going to be a better value to get universals, but I just wanted to get some of your opinions. Thanks for the much needed help.

Jan 31, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #2 of 7
You'd barely even be able to get lower end customs + ear impressions for $250, in fact you wouldn't be able to afford most of the top tier IEM's either.  You should definitely go with universals with that budget.
Customs don't sound better than universals, they just fit better and are more comfortable.

Jan 31, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #4 of 7
That is definitely a budget for universals.  For $250 you can actually get your hands on some of the top-tier universals, and have the option of selling them later on.  Customs are much harder to sell.

Triple-Fi's can be found for under $200 very easily, new and used.
Used Westone3's pop up anywhere from $230-$300 used.  I know somewhere that sells them new for $300 shipped.
Sennheiser IE8's are $280 new from RazorDogDeals' eBay store.  They are an authorized dealer.  IE7's are $169 on their site.
Klipsch Custom3's are $100
Grado GR8's used are also in your price range.

Customs definitely will sound better, as the fit of the IEM in your ear canal is crucial for the best sound.  Some people on the forums actually find universals more comfortable because they prefer the soft silicone to the hard acrylic piece in your ear.

Jan 31, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
so I don't know if the design would cancel out the factor of probably having a better driver in a pair of universals. 

Well, what I mean is that just having a custom shell doesn't really make your headphones sound better.  A lot of people (myself included) have universal headphones that they have remolded into custom shells and the sound usually doesn't get any better or anything.  On a pair of headphones like the TF10 where so many people have fit issues then I can see how customs would help a lot, but universals like the sm3, se535, and um3x all generally are very comfortable and people rarely have fitting issues.
So IMO better drivers/BA's will make your headphones sound better more so than the shell.

Jan 31, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #6 of 7
I suggest looking into 1964 ear's, for $275 plus the cost of impressions, you can get what appears to be a very decent set of dual driver based customs. http://www.1964ears.com/products.html or for $139.99, a single driver custom from kozeesoundsolutions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back