Universal IEMS for Death, Black, Thrash Metal and Hardcore Punk < $300
Feb 19, 2015 at 10:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

burningv

100+ Head-Fier
While I'm waiting for my JH13 Pro to be refitted a 5th time by Lime Ears, I need iems that are able to do the above genres some justice. My experiences with them has been mostly negative due to either fit issues or improper tonal balance. So far I've owned 3 universal iems: the Westone 3s, Gr07, and the re-600, all of which have had their fair share of problems. 

Westone 3s

Muddy bass that bleeds into the other frequencies. Definitely a problem when listening to death metal. To date they have been the most comfortable iems I had ever owned. The fit was quite good, but not necessary the best. 

GR07

Terrible fit with all the tips I had tried, unless I used the triple flanged ones, which did stay in my ears, but were painful to use, collapsed the sound stage, and made the sound too bassy. The swivel mechanism was annoying. Nevertheless, these had the best frequency response for their price. Guitars remained crunchy and although the bass was light in quantity, the quality was certainly there when called upon. If wasn't for the terrible fit I'd buy another pair in a heartbeat. 

RE-600S

There hasn't been a lot of reviews that praised these iems for performing well with metal, rock, or punk. However, I bought into the hype when jamato praised these to the heavens in his written first impressions of them paired with the DX90, which I now currently have. I have to say that I'm really disappointed with the sound. Mind you I've tried these with different firmwares, bu
t the result was quite similar each time. The guitars sound thin, restrained, and hollow, and lack the bite I expect when listening to aggressive genres of music featuring guitars. The bass is practically non-existent and even worse than on the GR-07, which gives the RE-600 a very polite, albeit a neutered, bodiless sound. In terms of comfort they're ok, but a little tight when inserted. Fit is the best out of all of the aforementioned iems. I'm in the process of returning these to get a full refund. 

The question are there any iems within the $300 price range that fit really well and sound amazing for the genres that I've mentioned? I definitely prefer larger shelled iems like the Westone 3 because they fit me better, but I would also like something that sounds just as good as the GR07 if not better. Thanks in advance. 

P.S. The JH13 Pros are the best headphones I've ever owned. Anything similar to them soundwise would be a huge plus. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back