unity gain dc strait tube buffer / preamp?
Dec 24, 2009 at 3:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

nightanole

100+ Head-Fier
Does such an animal exist? I just want tube sound from my normal amp. I really dont want caps in the audio path. Most of the tube buffers ive seen are high gain. I just wanted unity gain tube buffer to plug in line before my preamp. So far i havent found a tube preamp that i like that doesnt have a gain of 15-30. Even the starving student is a really high gain unit.

Dec 24, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #3 of 4
Here is the Cavalli OCL buffer. I built the capacitor coupled bootstrapped version - works a treat..dB

bootstrapped002.jpg

bootstrapped003.jpg

Feb 9, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #4 of 4
I have the fortune to obtain this tube buffer built by dBel84 (runeight's design). I am hearing an improvement in my system: Gamma2 Dac --> tube buffer --> M3 amp --> DT770 / 32 ohm. The tube buffer extend the soundstage, fills up the mids and make the highs smoother; without the tube buffer the combo was a bit aggressive with dance / eletronica type of music. I am not a DIY guy, but I think this tube buffer sounds really good and specs well at the same time. Thanks for the great job,dBel84 and runeight! This tube buffer is so good that I am thinking to get another one......but I do not know who else can build one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back