Unique Melody Platform Pure 6 (PP6) - review (1st post), discussion, appreciation, & tour thread
Jan 3, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #391 of 484
Quote:
I can't imagine that it would be possible to use your own amp as that would negate any of the "special sauce" of the active design. Technically I guess they could have 3 sets of stereo outputs where each could link to a separate amp, then a special cable to sum it all together again before entry to the IEM. Obviously that's not a very feasible solution.

My PP6 (molded, not a universal demo) is stuck in China due to some Fedex "shipping exception" so hopefully that gets cleared up and I receive it soon.

Quoted from some impressions on another site:

"A potential saving grace for the design might be found in their offering the PP6 IEMs w/ an adapter cable to allow them to run off your own DAC/Amp combo.  The IEMs themselves have no crossovers or other circuits other than drivers.  So the cable, if done right, could be a saving grace."

Jan 3, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #392 of 484
That would cool and allow some latitude with DIY'ers. We could experiment with crossover design because the passive parts would be out of the shell.

Jan 3, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #393 of 484
Well sure, it could be fun for DIY peepz to play with, but in terms of a viable commercial product it probably doesn't make much sense. I reckon they spent a lot of effort working on the box and if their intent was to just release an IEM sans crossovers they could have easily released a special version of their existing models instead. Heck, UM is known to grant wacky special requests anyways, so for all we know a DIY person may have had this option already available to them prior to PP6 anyway.

I can see it now - a niche market making a high-end 3rd party DAC/amp unit for the PP6, which is already a niche product among custom IEMs, which are themselves something of a niche market (but growing rapidly).

I'm still reserving judgment on it until I hear it for myself (which obviously most of us tend to do anyway). 

Jan 3, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #395 of 484
I actually think the cable is a UM product that will be released at some point, if my understanding is correct. Would be nice if someone from UM could clarify this.
Pretty sure either Matt or Stephen did confirm the adapter will be released later for purchase separately as an accessory a couple of weeks ago. (and UM were including it for free for people ordering pp6 over the holidays or some such)

Jan 3, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #396 of 484
Quote:
That would cool and allow some latitude with DIY'ers. We could experiment with crossover design because the passive parts would be out of the shell.

True. Not to mention the PP6 uses no proprietary drivers as far as I know. The owner can have a good time playing with their own xo at will to get a sound signature meeting their preferences.

Feb 9, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #401 of 484
I just received mine yesterday , the optional cable to use them without there amp was not shipped. They did ship an extra headphone cable though. 
I have only listened for a short while . Sounds very nice clean and clear. I know one thing they are less fatiguing then my other iem,s though . Less bass then the jh16 ,s with the amp or without. I need some more time to listen to come to conclusions. I also shave a fit issues in one ear . I used soft wraps and it's good for now. I think I will send them back with a new set of impressions . The impressions I sent them were used for the jh16 jh3a combo . And it was good for that . Maybe they use a losser fit in general not sure 
but nice set and there responses through the whole process is excellent . 
Hopefully by tomorrow I will have had some time to listen more . But for now they are good sounding on the whole . But different staggering then the jh or tg334 . In general more musical as you guys say as the other too are more Analiticle closer to the music. 

I have a set of heir 8a coming as well and when there all here I will do a comparison of them all.

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #402 of 484
Quote:
I just received mine yesterday , the optional cable to use them without there amp was not shipped. They did ship an extra headphone cable though. 
I have only listened for a short while . Sounds very nice clean and clear. I know one thing they are less fatiguing then my other iem,s though . Less bass then the jh16 ,s with the amp or without. I need some more time to listen to come to conclusions. I also shave a fit issues in one ear . I used soft wraps and it's good for now. I think I will send them back with a new set of impressions . The impressions I sent them were used for the jh16 jh3a combo . And it was good for that . Maybe they use a losser fit in general not sure 
but nice set and there responses through the whole process is excellent . 
Hopefully by tomorrow I will have had some time to listen more . But for now they are good sounding on the whole . But different staggering then the jh or tg334 . In general more musical as you guys say as the other too are more Analiticle closer to the music. 

I have a set of heir 8a coming as well and when there all here I will do a comparison of them all.

Thanks for sharing.  I have had some time with the customized PP6.  The sound signature is quite nice and the presentation is transparent and cohesive and the performance is in line with the better CIEMs I have.

As for the cable to use them without the box, that is still under development and may be for some time as there is no ETA as of now.  If the impressions used were shaved down by another manufacturer, they may have been shaved down differently than UM would shave them, leading to the fit issue.

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #403 of 484
Ty for  shedding some light I. The fit issue I M waiting on a reply from um 
as how to ship back 
i also have an appointment  to see Adioligist this week to get a new ear impression and I have.a  Set of iem s that need reschling that I'm sending to them 
so no biggie there. As for the sound they are very nice and different from what I have now 
so that is a good thing. I would not want all the iem s to have the same sound signiture any way.  The y Re crystal cleAr and if I were to where them In the office all day it is what I need. So in the end it's all good. The noise floor is great , sound of music is all that u hhear and I'm thinking I need more time to listen a nd have a better appreciation for the product. 

Mar 6, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #404 of 484
After spending the past ~3 hours reading through this 27 page thread there is one question that I and probably a few other people here still have. (for those who have listened to both the PP6 and JH-3A) How do they match up against each other? Of course everyone will have their own preferences and perceptions but id like to know how close these are in terms of an overall experience. For example, is it a Beats Solo to HD 800 night/day kind of difference or an HE-500 to LCD 2 difference where one might be a little better but both are still excellent? 

Mar 6, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #405 of 484
Quote:
After spending the past ~3 hours reading through this 27 page thread there is one question that I and probably a few other people here still have. (for those who have listened to both the PP6 and JH-3A) How do they match up against each other? Of course everyone will have their own preferences and perceptions but id like to know how close these are in terms of an overall experience. For example, is it a Beats Solo to HD 800 night/day kind of difference or an HE-500 to LCD 2 difference where one might be a little better but both are still excellent? 

It's more of a JH-3A to PP6 difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back