Unique Melody Platform Pure 6 (PP6) - review (1st post), discussion, appreciation, & tour thread
Jul 11, 2012 at 6:10 AM Post #196 of 484
Quote:
That won't work because the active crossover is specifically designed for the 6 driver earphone in the PP6 set. 

The main designer's idea is to give you a good system to use at home, and when you are out, you can just use the earphone to listen straight from your phone or MP3 player. 
I guess our main designer doesn't like the idea of carrying an amp while walking on the streets. 
wink_face.gif

Disappointing but highly understandable.  In my opinion that designer was smart.  There's no way you could tell the nuances of sound while out and about.  This system seems to be transportable rather than portable so if you sat down at a cafe with your laptop it would still be easily packed and taken out for high fidelity sound.  

Kudos to UM :D

Jul 11, 2012 at 6:25 AM Post #198 of 484
Agree with Wahu, I hate carrying around laptops. It would be nice if it were designed to be portable, then again I also agree with cassadian as I can understand their choice not to. It seems they have designed this purely for performance. Making it portable could increase the cost and could possibly decrease performance. I perceive this product as having power hungry open cans, they aren't designed to be used on the go. personally I think this was the right decision, as they have their Miracles and Merlins which are more suitable for portable listening.

Jul 11, 2012 at 6:32 AM Post #199 of 484
Quote:
That won't work because the active crossover is specifically designed for the 6 driver earphone in the PP6 set. 

The crossover is located between source and the amplifier so it provides filtering at the "line level" and  requires one amplification channel per processed speaker, total of 6 (3way) channels power amplifier.
But if dac is good, I guess they can always provide direct line out option to just use the dac with other amp and ciem.

Jul 11, 2012 at 6:47 AM Post #201 of 484
Quote:
If the only thing holding it back from being portable is a battery then that's easily solved. I've made battery packs before and it's not rocket science. 

True I guess, it could be done. It'll provide similar function to the HP-P1, amp and dac combo. However if it doesn't take USB A input, it'll have to be used with a DX100 or HM 801 etc... UNLESS you have a spare CLAS lying around, I think it can be used to turn a USB A input into a coaxial output...

Jul 11, 2012 at 7:30 AM Post #202 of 484
Quote:
True I guess, it could be done. It'll provide similar function to the HP-P1, amp and dac combo. However if it doesn't take USB A input, it'll have to be used with a DX100 or HM 801 etc... UNLESS you have a spare CLAS lying around, I think it can be used to turn a USB A input into a coaxial output...

Starting to sound bulky but doable. If it doesn't have a USB input it might have a separate power supply which might even make it difficult to use with a laptop.

Jul 11, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #203 of 484
Not necessarily. I said USB A, That is the input that the HPP1 and CLAS have. It's useful as it can be used with apples i devices. However it may take a Mini USB, the input on many android phones and portable amps which usually charge the device or transfer data. The PP6 system may have a mini USB input, which may be able to be a digital input and power source, however it won't be able to be used with apples i devices, and it'll still need a optical or coaxial input. 

But yes you are right, it would be a pain. Anyway I don't even know why I am putting so much effort into this haha, I probably wont be buying one. 

Jul 11, 2012 at 7:47 AM Post #204 of 484
Quote:
Anyway I don't even know why I am putting so much effort into this haha, I probably wont be buying one. 

Me too. Hard for me to justify after my recent spending. With something like this it would pay to wait and see reviews and if there are any bugs that need to be ironed out.

Jul 13, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #206 of 484
This is surprising - a home rig. I was hoping for the ultimate transportable rig. I am fortunate to have some Stax SR 009s so this will be a very unlikely purchase.

Jul 14, 2012 at 7:47 AM Post #207 of 484
Quote:
This is surprising - a home rig. I was hoping for the ultimate transportable rig. I am fortunate to have some Stax SR 009s so this will be a very unlikely purchase.

Not a home rig.  You can't bring your Stax rig to a cafe.  Well... you can.  But good luck 
cool.gif

Jul 14, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #208 of 484
Fair point!

Jul 14, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #209 of 484
A couple more pics to check out with added exposure...

Edit. In the bottom left.. is that a switch and led with a word starting with 'CH'? So hard to see. Might have a battery after all?

Jul 14, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #210 of 484
Quote:
Fair point!

Plus.  It'll deliver amazing sound in a portable manner through Custom In Ear Monitors.  However, could you really comprehend the nuances of the music delivered by an active crossover system when most people can't even correctly A/B between 320 kbps and FLAC (16/48). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back