Unique Melody Or Fisher Audio [From UK]
May 31, 2010 at 5:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

vkvedam

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi Fellows

I've decided to send in my E500s for a remould and I've got in touch with both the firms.
Before I make a final decision I would like to know some of your experiences and views.
Please provide me with any sort of your valuable advice/opinion as I don't want to deal with the
hassle of sending ear pieces back in relation to fit issues or bad workmanship. 

Many Thanks
Ven

May 31, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #2 of 11
So many Fishers, there's Fisher Hearing in the US that does custom molding, Fischer Audio, the Russian headphone company, and now it seems there's another one brought into the Head-Fi scheme, Fisher Audio, a mix of the two names! To be honest I haven't heard of Fisher Audio or their custom molding so I can't really help you there.

Jun 1, 2010 at 10:51 AM Post #4 of 11
Is that it? So there seems to be no one who has got their universals remouded from the UK. Could I possibly get an input from my neighbouring countries with in the EU? Any help would be highly appreciated. Many thanks.

Jun 1, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #5 of 11
Any reason you don't want to get adaptors done by ACS in england?

Jun 1, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #6 of 11

Quote:
Any reason you don't want to get adaptors done by ACS in england?

Yes sir! I've got two reasons for having decided to go this way.
1. My Shures are about 3 years old and I'm slightly worried about the brittle nature of the cables. Hence they won't be covered under the warranty. And it's gonna cost me the same amount for Shure's replacement service of my IEMs.
2. If I go the ACS way it's gonna cost me about the same and point 1 on top of that.
So there you go, this is the best and most feasible option I've got. Thanks for your advice BTW.

Jun 1, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #7 of 11
I'm in the UK too and the price difference was very small after shipping from Fisher/InEarZ. They quoted me $56 (cost price) for return shipping, so the <$160 base price from UM that includes return shipping is very similar.

From my reading and by most accounts, on average, UM do a better a job. They also seem to have more flexibility in terms of what you can change in terms of drivers.

I will be getting my TF10 remoulded very soon. My (the one who quoted me - never even met him) audiologist is on holiday for another week, so I hope to send my things off by the end of the month.

Jun 11, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #8 of 11
Getting the impressions on Monday and would be sending on Tuesday. One last time, please advice me whether to go for China or the States.
Any input is highly appreciated. Cheers....

Jun 14, 2010 at 9:38 AM Post #10 of 11
I'd lean towards UM. I've gotten remolds and their own customs and the build quality is top notch. Unfortunately, it takes them forever to do anything. I sent them my right monitor for them to make the stem bigger for a tighter fit. I explained that some monitor companies (maybe all?) will brush the acrylic onto the stem only and harden it under UV lights. I suppose they file it smooth to clean it up so it isn't as detectable. Well, they agreed to do it. They've had my monitor for about two weeks now. I imagine this is a 30 minute job... but it's taking them weeks? I finally emailed them about it a few days ago and they tell me they need to remake the monitor. Apparently they didn't even try to enlarge the stem. When I asked again about the procedure, he tells me "OK. We make bigger." What... the? *sigh

Anyway, I'm seriously considering telling them to ship the monitor back (waste of $70 total in shipping charges) and send it to Fisher just a few states away. They agreed to do it for $20 and it's a procedure they're familiar with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back