Unique Melody Miracle without an amp?
Apr 27, 2012 at 5:09 AM Post #32 of 47

Quote:
Think I'm about to sell my Miracles. Sad, but at least my wallet will be OK.

Hey, why sell?

The Miracles do sound great when they're in a good combination, honestly! This thread is definitely not about dissuading anyone from the Miracle - not at all; it's just to say that if you have a Miracle, it will need a fairly decent (low impedance) amplifier or headphone-out stage to sound balanced and on top of its game, that's all!

It might even be the case that a Sansa player may do the trick - I just can't personally say for sure, because I've not heard the Miracles being driven by a Sansa.

Apr 29, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #34 of 47
No, that means it won't create any distortions within as opposed to the optimal frequency response that the Mirarcles were tuned to.

Apr 29, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #36 of 47

Quote:
So what would you use to work out whether the Miracle and iPhone go well together? Or is it just subjective?

The iPhone 4 would be good enough for the Miracles. Adding an amp will really only increase the volume output. As long as the amp has a low output impedance, low noise, low distortion and sufficient power, it's good enough. The iPhone 4's built in amp covers that. Don't let anyone fool you into wasting unnecessary money.

Jun 7, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #37 of 47
Quote:
i have alot of DAPs and i also got a pair of miracles ... and my personal advice would be, stay with your iphone

the difference is so small that its not even worth mentioning and also not worth the money.

Really? I'm seriously considering purchasing the miracles and really was wondering if I'd need an amp since they have 6 drivers / ear. 

But I guess not :) THat's good news. As far as audio files go, I can just swap out some of the Apple Lossless files that I have on my iPhone... My library doesn't fit anyways, so it's no big deal.

Jun 7, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #38 of 47
Quote:
Really? I'm seriously considering purchasing the miracles and really was wondering if I'd need an amp since they have 6 drivers / ear. 

But I guess not :) THat's good news. As far as audio files go, I can just swap out some of the Apple Lossless files that I have on my iPhone... My library doesn't fit anyways, so it's no big deal.

IEMs don't need amps and people make ridiculous assumptions that any normal player can't power 6 drivers properly. I find absolutely no benefit amping my JH13. Emphasis should be on a better source.

Jun 7, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #39 of 47
Quote:

IEMs don't need amps and people make ridiculous assumptions that any normal player can't power 6 drivers properly. I find absolutely no benefit amping my JH13. Emphasis should be on a better source.

Look, there's no need for this debate again.  And just an example of where your point holds false.  The RE262 requires an external amplifier or a power digital audio player to truly sound good.  In my opinion, everything will benefit from amping, it's just how great is the difference.  For some, the difference will be so slight it's quite useless.

Jun 7, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #40 of 47
Quote:

Look, there's no need for this debate again.  And just an example of where your point holds false.  The RE262 requires an external amplifier or a power digital audio player to truly sound good.  In my opinion, everything will benefit from amping, it's just how great is the difference.  For some, the difference will be so slight it's quite useless.

Ok so that's one of probably of few iems that have any noticeable difference from paying for and lugging around an amp around.

Jun 7, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #41 of 47
Quote:

Ok so that's one of probably of few iems that have any noticeable difference from paying for and lugging around an amp around.

Yes.  There are more than a few.  Look at Average_Joe's thread.  And then if you talk about subjective opinion, then you've refuted yourself because sound is subjective.

But look, I don't want to argue.  And if you truly believe that amping will not provide a difference, I honestly don't care.  Whatever you hear doesn't affect me, haha.

Jun 7, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #42 of 47
I understand we all hear differently, however I notice a pretty hefty difference when amping a large majority of my IEM's, especially with certain sources. 

Jun 7, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #43 of 47
Quote:

Yes.  There are more than a few.  Look at Average_Joe's thread.  And then if you talk about subjective opinion, then you've refuted yourself because sound is subjective.

But look, I don't want to argue.  And if you truly believe that amping will not provide a difference, I honestly don't care.  Whatever you hear doesn't affect me, haha.

Yep, very true. I should probably stop perpetuating my opinions on amping as fact.

Jun 7, 2012 at 4:50 AM Post #45 of 47
I own the Miracle & listen to it most often with the iPhone (unamped).  It sounds amazing.  I rarely, if ever, have the desire to reach for my Arrow (or other portable amp).. cause it sounds that good straight from my iPhone.  I work from home so this stuff is always an arm's length away.  When the Arrow is added, I hear some gain in overall control, dynamic range, and soundstage.  This improvement isn't some drastic night & day difference taking the Miracle from 'average sounding' to 'incredible'.  It sounds incredible from my iPhone.. the Arrow simply 'cleans up' and refines the presentation.

So is there an improvement with an amp?  Yes.. perhaps by 10-15%.  The 12 BAs certainly gain some "muscle and agility" from the additional power.. but it was pretty robust and powerful sounding unamped.  Comparing an amped to unamped Miracle, I don't feel like what I'm missing out (when unamped) merits going out and getting an amp.. but since I have one, it's not a dilemma.

Bottom line.. an amp is not necessary.. but if you're wallet obliges.. spring for one.  The Miracle will take advantage of it.

/lock thread

wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back