Unhappy with HD-600s.
May 25, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #91 of 97

Quote:
So to conclude this thread,

I would just like to say that I am very happy with my HD-600s now :)

If you are wondering why, or what happened?

Well, it's because I was experimenting with an old Hitachi HA-4700 Stereo Amplifier that was previously used for a karoake machine. It has a physical bass and treble EQ on it. Long story short, it sounds so much better than my FiiO E9. It makes the Sennheiser so much more sharp and more fun to listen to. Best thing about it is that I can just lower the EQ if I ever want a more "calm" listening experience.

My music goes from my laptop, to my E7 DAC, to my Hitachi Stereo Amplifier, and out to my heaphones via 6.3mm jack.

I don't care if I'm doing it wrong... it sounds amazing!

As long as, you are happy, who cares you are doing it right or wrong ! We are all in here for one thing and one thing only : Eargasm. 

Put some hot sauce, some brown sauce, some limes into your bowl of Vietnamese PHO and enjoy the hell out of it. If you like your music colored, bright, warm whatever it is ...just do it as long as you happy. 

I am listening to Bonnie Tyler on Pandora with my Sony Vaio laptop and a $40.00 HRX700 pair of HPs and I feel gooooood. Sound stage, pin point image , attack bass, decay...for another day with another pair of cans. For now, eargasm is sweet and simple.

Happy listening.

May 25, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #92 of 97

Quote:
The bolded text says you wanted anything but an HD6x0, basically. The HD600 is smooth and laid back. The E9 is generally considered to be transparent for the most part, and will not alter the sound.

Maybe I'm the weird one for seeing it this way, but I think it's silly to try to turn a pair of cans into something they're not when you clearly have the wrong pair for the type of sound you want. Just... get a different pair of headphones with a different sound.

Glad you're happy with the end result, though.

What he said. I had the same experience with them, too laid back, smooth, and dark. It's not the E9's fault at all, the headphones themselves are just exactly what you and I do not want. But if the EQ makes you happy with them, by all means enjoy.

May 25, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #93 of 97
guys dont rag nor judge da man till u tried the HD6X0 on a decent home stereo amp. i drive my HD650 with either a vintages Pioneer SA7500 or a Sansui AU517 integrated. cant say its bests everything but both of them pawns anything 'dedicated' that i've heard (granted theyre only PPAv2, M3, LDII+, Zhaolu v2 discrete headamp) & if u havent used the tone controls, u've not used your amp or headphone to its fullest.

jus sayin - dont judge before u try.

ps:my 650 is neither laidback nor dark but they are smooth - just the way i like em. to my ears anyways
wink.gif

May 26, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #94 of 97

Quote:
guys dont rag nor judge da man till u tried the HD6X0 on a decent home stereo amp. i drive my HD650 with either a vintages Pioneer SA7500 or a Sansui AU517 integrated. cant say its bests everything but both of them pawns anything 'dedicated' that i've heard (granted theyre only PPAv2, M3, LDII+, Zhaolu v2 discrete headamp) & if u havent used the tone controls, u've not used your amp or headphone to its fullest.

jus sayin - dont judge before u try.

ps:my 650 is neither laidback nor dark but they are smooth - just the way i like em. to my ears anyways
wink.gif

PPL have so much different opinions abt different cans. Some confused the open/airy sound of open cans with wide sound stage. Some blame on the cans for being too dark, too veil or too thin, too bright while their sources ( recording medium  ) and their associated components such as CDPs or amps may be a major contribution to the imperfection of the sound quality.

I love my HD 650s and they are " the must" to me when listening to Diana Krall. 

I listen to music the way they are recorded , no EQ, no tone control. I own several cans and I use them for different applications as  the same way I would use Sonus Faber or ML or Apogee for different genre of music and with  different associated gear. There is no on stop solution to audio nirvana . It's all about the " system synergy in certain application.

May 26, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #95 of 97
A lot of people are just used to cheap headphones or headphones lacking in bass with a treble spike in the frequency response and confuse that with: lack of sound stage, lack of detail, a veil, being dark, being "slow", being laid back, etc.  More treble does not equal detail, speed, etc.
mad.gif

May 26, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #96 of 97

Quote:
A lot of people are just used to cheap headphones or headphones lacking in bass with a treble spike in the frequency response and confuse that with: lack of sound stage, lack of detail, a veil, being dark, being "slow", being laid back, etc.  More treble does not equal detail, speed, etc.
mad.gif

Isn't it just relative?

For example, wouldn't Grado 325s be more forward while HD600s are laid back? 

Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way, but I think of it as stacking all the headphones in a similar price range together and one is certainly going to be the most bright, while one is going to be the most dark. 

It seems kind of silly to say, "This is the baseline, this isn't dark, everything else is just brighter." It's like someone who says, "The K70x has the largest sound stage, and everything else is just claustrophobic." 

May 26, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #97 of 97

Quote:
mad.gif

For me, whenever I hear actual music (like my friends playing a guitar or singing in front of me), real life has a lot more treble and bass than what my Sennheisers can put out.

To my years, the most accurate representation of real music only comes from my HD-600s if I tweak it.

I've always liked in a bass not overpowering but a strong and subtle one that you subconciously dance to each and every time. And a treble that sharpens certain female vocals so that it emphasizes it more clearly.

My preference though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back