under 200 true sounding headphones for mixing
May 15, 2005 at 2:22 PM Post #31 of 34
Question (just for fun): if the HD280 is a great monitoring phone, what is it that makes the HD595 less so? Not being "closed" alone, possibly? What else?
eek.gif

Tough one.
biggrin.gif

Mar 28, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #33 of 34
People say never mix on headphones, others will listen to you're work in speakers... actually that's not true. Its a fact that most people now a days is listening to music on HEADPHONES. And NOBODY listens to music in the perfect triangle speaker configuration that sound ingeniers are so picky about. My advice, check your mixes in all the headphones you can find, from 5$ ear buds to 1000$ Audeze LCD 2 if possible. Thats as important now a days as mixing in speakers, but I find that if the speakers are not high quality Genelec or similar, that could be really expensive, and are not in a flat responding room, headphones are a better option. Just my opinion.

About the best headphones for under 200$, my vote would be for the DT 770. Right now there 180$ on Amazon. DT 250 are maybe more honest sounding.

Sorry for my english btw.

Mar 28, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #34 of 34
Quote:
People say never mix on headphones, others will listen to you're work in speakers... actually that's not true. Its a fact that most people now a days is listening to music on HEADPHONES. And NOBODY listens to music in the perfect triangle speaker configuration that sound ingeniers are so picky about. My advice, check your mixes in all the headphones you can find, from 5$ ear buds to 1000$ Audeze LCD 2 if possible. Thats as important now a days as mixing in speakers, but I find that if the speakers are not high quality Genelec or similar, that could be really expensive, and are not in a flat responding room, headphones are a better option. Just my opinion.

About the best headphones for under 200$, my vote would be for the DT 770. Right now there 180$ on Amazon. DT 250 are maybe more honest sounding.

Sorry for my english btw.

I've seen that mentioned too. The final mix-down  that goes out to the public, is in fact, usually mixed on headphones. At least where I worked it was. It's not at all like what you see on TV with Jimmy Ivine sitting at a big mixer board. We actually sit at computers with headphones on all day. Not nearly as glamourous as it sounds. 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back