"Unbalanced" Headphones (Ultrasone Pro 900)
Dec 30, 2011 at 10:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

MrNurse

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I would like to buy Ultrasone Pro 900 headphones for my plane ride to the Philippines. I leave the night of January 1, so I have to either buy them in store or find them for around $300 w/ 1-day shipping. :frowning2:

I saw them on B&H's website and can pick these up for $300!
The problem is that they're "unbalanced". I called them up and they said they I wouldn't notice unless I'm a professional DJ.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/584905-REG/Ultrasone_PRO_900_PRO_900_Closed_Back_Professional.html

They have the normal ones for $700!!!
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/609519-REG/Ultrasone_PRO_900_BALANCED_PRO_900_Closed_Back_Professional.html

What exactly does "unbalanced" mean? Should I just try to find balanced ones?

Thanks

Dec 30, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #2 of 10
I think you need not worry about buying "unbalanced", that is how something like 99% of the available headphones are made and sold, even some fairly expensive models. Basically, these are the ones that can be connected with the usual 1/8" or 1/4" jack. "Balanced" headphones have entirely separate left and right channel with no common ground, and are terminated either with one 4-pin XLR connector, or two 3-pin XLR connectors. In practice, this only gives a very minor improvement, though.

Dec 30, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #3 of 10
The only difference is that the $700 version has an XLR connection on it so you can plug the headphones into a balanced source. If you are just plugging these into your computer or iPod though, the signal wouldn't be balanced anyways. Actually looking at the headphone specs, it only has XLR connecters so you can't just plug them into your Ipod/Computer.

Balanced and Unbalanced doesn't refer to one side being louder than the other. It's how the signal is carried.

You will be just fine buying the regular $300 version. They're right, you will not be able to tell the difference.

Dec 30, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #4 of 10
Thanks guys.

So the "unbalanced" ones are the ones that you usually see for sale under $400?
I think I'll go ahead and buy them now.

I just want to verify because I have to buy them now. The store closes in 2 hours!
blink.gif

Dec 30, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:
I just want to verify because I have to buy them now. The store closes in 2 hours!
blink.gif

Just get the unbalanced version, for the balanced one you would need a balanced source as well, and the - not even necessarily audible - difference is not worth the $400 extra price anyway. For $700, it would be preferable to simply get a better headphone than the Pro 900 instead.

Dec 30, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #7 of 10
I thought unbalanced was referring to PRO900's very unbalanced frequency response, among the more drastic V-shape frequency responses around. :p

Dec 30, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
Just get the unbalanced version, for the balanced one you would need a balanced source as well, and the - not even necessarily audible - difference is not worth the $400 extra price anyway. For $700, it would be preferable to simply get a better headphone than the Pro 900 instead.

This is absolutely correct

Dec 30, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #9 of 10
Thanks guys!
Burn-in time
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back