UM3X - removable cables or fixed?
Jun 9, 2010 at 10:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Shaka

Head-Fier
Hello, I've already searched the forum and didn't find an existing thread specific to my question so here goes ...
A few years ago I bought my first decent earphones, a Shure make which I can't remember. A year later I upgraded to Shure SE530 which I thought were stunning. I sold them a year later as it was frowned upon to listen to music in the office. When I switched offices, I got a set of Denon D1001. I sold them and got the Denon D5000 which I absolutely adore and still own.
At my current job I just cannot use the Denons so bought a set of UE 700. Now these are absolute gems but I'm starting to get the itch again and after weeks of researching these forums I'm kind of settled on getting UM3X.
I can get the standard UM3X now or I can wait a few weeks for the UM3X with removable cables to become available (in UK).

My question is should I wait for the removable cables version or get the fixed wire versions now? My head says just get the fixed wired version because they're a bit cheaper and cos I've never had any problems with broken wires before. I'm also wondering if the wires on the removable version would come off easily during use -  I mean how securely are they attached?
Any suggestions/opinions?

cheers,
Shaka

Jun 9, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #2 of 24
Weren't they going to be using the ES cable from their customs?

Anyway Westone is known to have one of the best cables in the industry so as long as you don't do things that can cause your cables to break they should hold up. If I was in your situation I would buy the UM3X or wait for the new version to come out hoping the UM3X would go down in price or just buy from the FS threads.

Jun 9, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #3 of 24
TBH I have no idea which cables they're supposed to be using.
From my searches on Google, I can only see a few online UK retailers who are actually selling UM3X with the price ranging from £260 - £280.
Only one is claiming to have the one with removable cables, at £299.
I emailed iHeadphones who I've used before. They say they will have the removable cable version in stock in 2-3 weeks.

I'm tempted to just order the fixed wire version tomorrow morning but I keep wondering if the removable cable version is the better option ...

Jun 9, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #4 of 24
Westone cable is built like tank,I am pretty sure that it could last 2 or 3 years even not being taken very good of, the cable quality would be out of your consideration

Removable cable one is coming with more tips and option to replace with three party cable later on, but the only drawback is how sturdy of connector between the cable and housing.

Jun 9, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #6 of 24

I vote "removable".  If you break them you can just replace them, and you have the option of getting a better or customized cable if you desire.

My cable broke on my Shure 500s and was replaced by Shure with a set of 530s, now they are having problems again.  Admittedly, I've gotten a couple of years out of the 530s, but I'd much rather just buy a new cable instead of throwing them in the trash.

Personally, I'm never again going to pay several hundreds of dollars for IEMs that don't have a replaceable cable.

-john

Jun 9, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #7 of 24
I vote removable. 3rd party cables is the main reason I got the AKG K702 over the 701; now 3 weeks later I just got the Moon Audio Blue-Dragon cable today. Even if you aren't going to go the custom cable route, buying or ordering a replaceable cable if something bad happens to yours (like snags or pets/kids/anything) is a lot better than sending the whole pair in and waiting on it to come back. 

Jun 9, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #8 of 24
Gee I did not know we had an election going on here. 

Faced with the same choice I got them now.  Removable, one more thing to lose.  One more connection to cause trouble.

Jun 9, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #9 of 24
If you'll read OP's statements,  looks like he really don't need detachable cables for his use and that's $50 saved off the bat.

btw, I do have one for sale in S/T section with detachable cables if anyone's interested
biggrin.gif

Jun 10, 2010 at 5:21 AM Post #10 of 24
Excellent! Thanks for all the responses. Good to hear the various opinions and views.

I guess the quality of UM3X cannot be disputed so the only difficulty is deciding which version to buy. Last night I'd decided that I'd order the fixed cable ones this morning as they're already available to buy now.

Now I'm hesitating again...
Detachable cables do seem like a sensible choice logically speaking. I mean chances are I'll never break the cables, but sod's law, if I do then it'll be easier/convenient buying a new cable than sending them away. And even though I'm not intending to 'upgrade' the cables, at least I'll have the choice later if I change my mind.

The only hesitation I have is around the cable connector of the detachable version. How securely do the cables attach to the main unit?
Do they just push in or is there something to lock them in place so they don't pull out?
If it's push in, how tight is it? I mean, is there a chance the cables will become detached during use?

ThEvil0nE - if you don't mind, can I ask why you're selling yours?

cheers,
Shaka

Jun 10, 2010 at 10:18 AM Post #11 of 24

Quote:
Excellent! Thanks for all the responses. Good to hear the various opinions and views.

I guess the quality of UM3X cannot be disputed so the only difficulty is deciding which version to buy. Last night I'd decided that I'd order the fixed cable ones this morning as they're already available to buy now.

Now I'm hesitating again...
Detachable cables do seem like a sensible choice logically speaking. I mean chances are I'll never break the cables, but sod's law, if I do then it'll be easier/convenient buying a new cable than sending them away. And even though I'm not intending to 'upgrade' the cables, at least I'll have the choice later if I change my mind.

The only hesitation I have is around the cable connector of the detachable version. How securely do the cables attach to the main unit?
Do they just push in or is there something to lock them in place so they don't pull out?
If it's push in, how tight is it? I mean, is there a chance the cables will become detached during use?

ThEvil0nE - if you don't mind, can I ask why you're selling yours?

cheers,
Shaka

I love my UM3x (not mine now, sold last night after posting in trades). The only reason I was selling it is to fund for the upcoming Westone ES5 http://www.westone.com/music-products/Custom-Fit-Pro-Audio/ES5

it really doesn't matter if you get the removable or fixed as those are just options :) they're very secure when attached but let it be known that constant detaching and inserting cable will do some wear&tear during time.

Jun 10, 2010 at 12:02 PM Post #12 of 24
Thanks ThEvil0nE.
I'm now leaning more towards the detachable cable version. I won't be detaching the cables so hopefully the connections won't become loose on their own. And if I damage the cables or decide to change them to something else, at least I have the option to do so. Plus the additional accessories might be handy.

I'll try to wait for my preferred dealer to get them in stock but if I become impatient then I might just use the sole UK dealer who claims to have them currently in stock for £299 (including free delivery).

Enjoy your ES5's. They look gorgeous and I'm sure they sound even better. I'm not envious :wink:

Shaka

Jun 10, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #13 of 24

Sorry nobody has answered your question about how easy the cables detach. 

FWIW, both UE and Westone seem to use basically the same cables.  I just ordered one of each and have them sitting here and they are so similar I'm pretty convinced they are actually mfged by the same company.  The only difference being the pins of the one are VERY SLIGHTLY longer than the other.  I'm waiting for a UE "vi" cable, and I'll try to post pictures of the cables, compared.

I've not seen any posts with people having problems with their cables detaching by themselves, but what you might want to do is ask in a Westone thread (perhaps a ES3X thead) and see if you get a better response. 

-john

Jun 10, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #14 of 24

Quote:

Sorry nobody has answered your question about how easy the cables detach. 

FWIW, both UE and Westone seem to use basically the same cables.  I just ordered one of each and have them sitting here and they are so similar I'm pretty convinced they are actually mfged by the same company.  The only difference being the pins of the one are VERY SLIGHTLY longer than the other.  I'm waiting for a UE "vi" cable, and I'll try to post pictures of the cables, compared.

I've not seen any posts with people having problems with their cables detaching by themselves, but what you might want to do is ask in a Westone thread (perhaps a ES3X thead) and see if you get a better response. 

-john

Thanks John. I'll have a search in the Westone forum and see if I notice anything.

Shaka

Jun 16, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #15 of 24
Hmm, maybe I shouldn't have looked at the ES3X thread as now I really want one ......
I've had a look at online retailers in the UK and so far have only found one that carries the ES3X (HandHeldAudio).
But their price is a shocking £893. That's a ridiculous $1314!!!!!!!!!!!!
I ain't paying that. Might try and see if it's possible to have them imported from US.
If it's not possible, then I can at least order UM3X with detachable cables from eBay. UK retailers only seem to have the fixed cable versions.

Shaka

Users who are viewing this thread

Back