UM3X gutted!
Apr 22, 2011 at 1:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tranhieu

Member of the Trade: DIY Amp Builder - AKA kytuphicanh
Caution: Incomplete Sales
So my um3x's cable is pretty worn thus I opened up the shell minutes ago. Quite surprising the crossover is nothing but filter caps!
Here's a photo of the moment of truth =D

I'm wondering if we can use anything fancy here? Cap rolling anyone? XD

Apr 22, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #2 of 6
what did you expect? any inductor that would be of any use for audio is too large. there may be a couple small resistors in parallel to those caps underneath. or perhaps just not needed because of the resistance of the driver itself. i dont think you'll find anything small enough that is better for the job than those. you can get small surface mount film caps, but they generally dont come in values that would be of use in a crossover. besides imo the um3x sounds pretty good as it is

Apr 23, 2011 at 3:42 AM Post #3 of 6
I'm thinking about moving all those caps outside, perhaps upgrading the crossover if possible, just like what JH audio did for their active crossover.
Well, the urge of diy.. :D

Apr 26, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #4 of 6
anyone?

Aug 12, 2011 at 6:30 AM Post #6 of 6
Tranhieu,
You can get a Fluke multimeter that has a capacitor and inductor tester on it. The Flukes are pretty expensive though. You might do a google search for a cheaper one. I'll bet the filter caps in the phones are a low voltage super capacitor. They typicaly have a 1.5 to 3 volt range. These are usually not audiophile quality. You might just keep them as they are and make a bypass to another crossover you make from some nice elna silmic caps and hand wound inductors (use magnets so you dont need as much magnet wire). Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back