UM2 VS Westone 2s
Mar 23, 2010 at 7:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

ajkda

Head-Fier
Hello, Im new to this forum, this is infact my first post.

I am considering an upgrade for my iem (Superfi 3), they broke and I am now looking into both UM2 and westone 2s which are currently in my price range.

I auditioned Westones 3 (sadly w2s and um2s are unavailable atm) recently and find them to be excellent which would produce a closer replica of Westone 3's sound sig?

I searched and read in the forums for about a week already similar post such as this has been as but I am looking for a more in depth comparison amongst the 2 iems here. How different are Westone 2s and UM2s?

Source: iphone 3gs or nano 4g
Currently no amp
Music preferences: I listen to practically all genres favouring slightly towards pop.
So far I am considering Westones' built because of their fit and CABLE tried others such as CK10 but they are hard to push in being too small while UE's are a tad painful from my experience.

Mar 23, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #2 of 20
W2 is a poor man's W3 (larger soundstage, better treble detail, more open sound, very balanced, tight bass)

UM2 is a poor man's UM3X (small soundstage due to being a monitor, more forward midrange, rolled off highs, looser bass)

Bass amount is same with both, W2 just tighter.

UM2 has more midrange but W2 has more treble.

W2 is the better IEM IMHO. Smaller in size too.

Mar 24, 2010 at 8:09 AM Post #3 of 20
Mmm so in a scenario such as
I need to use them while studying which is the one that will be less distractive and when I am commuting which would provide a pleasurable experience to listen to?
Also which will be less fatiguing to listen to.
Thank you for such a fast reply.

Mar 24, 2010 at 10:10 AM Post #5 of 20
UM2 have roll-off highs so if you are sensitive to treble got for that. I have not heard the W2s before but I did have a go with his older brother the W3s before and I do have some experience with UM2 and the UM3X and I find the W3s to be a little more fun to listen to and I do find the UM2s and UM3X a little dull.

The W3s is slightly more pleasurable for me but that is my preference and I can't really answer that question for you. If you like huge soundstage and lots of treble details you won't find them in the UM2 but you do get very good, forward vocals and good bass impact and their treble roll-off can help reduce fatigue. If you like a more open sound you might want to try the W3s(or W2s in your case).

Mar 24, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #6 of 20
I auditioned the W3s too
They sound good too but I could hear some sibilance since my source was an iphone 3gs.

Would UM2s and W2s have this sibilance problem, if so what would a recommended amp be?

Mar 24, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #7 of 20
W3's have a larger housing but shorter nozzle which caused some fit issue and siblance for some people. I never had these issues and found neither W2 nor UM2 to be fatiguing or siblant in any way.

Mar 24, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #8 of 20
Its wonderful that they have no sibilance issues but it only makes my decision tougher LOL

I like the clear housing the UM2 has though but sound quality wise is anyone of them more superior?( UM2s and W2s)

I was wondering why the price difference in Um2s and W2s??
Over here it is a pretty large price gap between the 2, i.e UM2s are 400+ while W2s are 350

Mar 24, 2010 at 11:11 AM Post #9 of 20
The Westone 2 is never fatiguing and I'm a guy that is pretty sensitive to fatigue. If the 2s are really cheaper over there, go for it. It's the other way around here. The 2s are better in SQ than the UM2, and would be closer in sound signature and sound quality especially to the W3 you auditioned.
No sibilance at all for me experienced.
As for amping, if you don't want to buy an amp, go for the W2. It is the only IEM I can listen to straight out of my iPod and not notice anything more than a miniscule difference from the FiiO E1 I usually use. Most IEMs I can't stand listening to anything other than the E1 because it sounds so much better, but the W2 is an exception, I can use either and be happy.

Mar 25, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #10 of 20
After auditioning them, I bought the UM2s.
Reasons : UM2s slightly bigger size fits and handles better because of my large outer ear
During the auditioning I felt that UM2s have a better bass compared to W2 where W2s fit poorly and thus I got less bass from them. However more bass is good, UM2s had a sort of muddy feeling to the bass but driving them through amps even cheap ones made the bass alot better, but imho the bass is fine for me =)
In fact both are similar even in terms of sound quality but fit is an issue I guess if you have a better fit and feel more comfortable with W2s they will surely serve you better, likewise for UM2s if you have them on better than W2s they will sound better as well.
Best is to auction both and hope you like the one you purchased like ME =)

Mar 25, 2010 at 12:40 PM Post #11 of 20
So W2 are basically W3 minus the Sibilance? ..or is the detail level of sound inferior to W3 slightly?

Mar 25, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So W2 are basically W3 minus the Sibilance? ..or is the detail level of sound inferior to W3 slightly?

No, not at all. W3 has an extra driver that provides a "fuller" sound overall. It gives it a richer sound. Most people prefer it but some think it creates too much weight and bass. I prefer it and use it to my advantage through EQ.

But other than that, they sound similar in midrange and treble.

Oct 9, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #13 of 20
anyway guys , a question to those who listened to um2 and um3x.. do you guys think that the price difference for the difference sound quality is justifiable? Cos' i'm kinda interested in the um3x but the um2 seems like a pretty nice substitute according to some.

Oct 10, 2010 at 8:40 AM Post #14 of 20

Quote:
anyway guys , a question to those who listened to um2 and um3x.. do you guys think that the price difference for the difference sound quality is justifiable? Cos' i'm kinda interested in the um3x but the um2 seems like a pretty nice substitute according to some.

No. I think the UM2 is better value than the UM3X and don't agree with the poster who said the UM2 is a poor man's UM3X. Yes, the UM3X sounds better but not significantly so. I think a lot of people don't know just how good the UM2 is - I myself was very surprised and, in fact, find it a better sounding IEM than the much hyped SM3, the SE530 and the ridiculously expensive (and quite hyped) SE535.

Oct 10, 2010 at 9:49 AM Post #15 of 20
I loved my UM2s, but had a bit of cabling problem after more than 2 yrs of constant use, so I bought a pair of UM3Xs. I think they have very similar sound signature, except the UM3Xs have a bit more bass extension which make them perfect for me. 
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back