Ultrasone PRO900
Jan 14, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #556 of 924
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoXter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not really. It gets a bit more precise, but that's it. The bass is *stock* just over-the-top.

x2

I've burned my PRO 900 in for some additional 300 hours and it hasn't changed at all in terms of overall signature. I'm planning to publish my frequency response measurements accompanying the burn-in process shortly. My PRO 900 already had 150 hours on them when I got them (that makes 450 hours), but my measurements as of now show that its bass is still 10-15 db boosted in relation to the mids.

Jan 15, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #557 of 924
I still say that you must have gotten some really faulty pair of headphones, or me and Kees did, because there is not even remotely an excessive bass boost, and anything above 6db I would already call excessive, 15db is just nuts.

Jan 15, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #558 of 924
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still say that you must have gotten some really faulty pair of headphones, or me and Kees did, because there is not even remotely an excessive bass boost, and anything above 6db I would already call excessive, 15db is just nuts.

Yes, 15db is nuts, but it not only measures like it, it does sound like it. And if you take NoXter's response into account, it's not only my PRO 900 that would be "defective". I really doubt that two PRO 900's could be equally defective. Mind you, mine doesn't sound defective as in showing lots of distortion or something like this. It's just a totally dent frequency response. I absolutely don't know what to make of this.

Jan 15, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #559 of 924
Oh, I think car-audio fans would agree that the bass ist not excessively boosted.
icon10.gif

Jan 15, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #560 of 924
Meaning... ??

Jan 23, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #561 of 924
So I'd been following this thread with great interest. I got a pair of the Pro 900's for Christmas and at first thought "Wow, these have a lot of deep bass." Then it was "Ouch! These things are gonna give me a concussion!"

I hopped on here and saw the remarks about heavy bass and that it would let up with burn in. I was skeptical that it could possibly relax that much with burn-in but they have. I even wrote Ultrasone an email b/c I was afraid of keeping them longer than the return period on them. They also told me to burn them in--after first saying I wasn't used to a "full-range" headphone. I told them I was driving them from a iBasso D2 and they were way over the top and they said to allow them to burn in.

I downloaded a pink noise track referenced on the forums but it sounded like something was wrong..maybe over-compressed? So I bought this 20-20khz pink noise track from amazon: Amazon.com: Pink Noise 20-20KHz: MP3 Downloads: Bass Mekanik

I burned in for a while with it at a moderately loud volume and the difference was like night and day. The heavy bass went away, and it seems I now have to turn the volume up a good bit louder than I had before.

It'll take a while of listening before I'll know if I enjoy these as much as my HD600. I love my HD600's, but open-air in a room full of co-workers just doesn't work
frown.gif

The bass in no way seems over-loud now.

Jan 23, 2009 at 12:08 PM Post #562 of 924
Excellent good to hear
smily_headphones1.gif
, also be sure to check out my review with the included link to the mod Kees invented. It really changed my Pro900 from a great headphone, to one of the best I have heard yet (and I have heard plenty).

Jan 23, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #563 of 924
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gowry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I'd been following this thread with great interest. I got a pair of the Pro 900's for Christmas and at first thought "Wow, these have a lot of deep bass." Then it was "Ouch! These things are gonna give me a concussion!"

I hopped on here and saw the remarks about heavy bass and that it would let up with burn in. I was skeptical that it could possibly relax that much with burn-in but they have. I even wrote Ultrasone an email b/c I was afraid of keeping them longer than the return period on them. They also told me to burn them in--after first saying I wasn't used to a "full-range" headphone. I told them I was driving them from a iBasso D2 and they were way over the top and they said to allow them to burn in.

I downloaded a pink noise track referenced on the forums but it sounded like something was wrong..maybe over-compressed? So I bought this 20-20khz pink noise track from amazon: Amazon.com: Pink Noise 20-20KHz: MP3 Downloads: Bass Mekanik

I burned in for a while with it at a moderately loud volume and the difference was like night and day. The heavy bass went away, and it seems I now have to turn the volume up a good bit louder than I had before.

It'll take a while of listening before I'll know if I enjoy these as much as my HD600. I love my HD600's, but open-air in a room full of co-workers just doesn't work
frown.gif

The bass in no way seems over-loud now.

How long did you burn them in?

Jan 23, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #564 of 924
about 150hours of pink noise should do the trick for sure on a set of 750s... 900 should be similar you would think... It´s really a frustrating process. It was great fun the first time... But then I made the jump from the DT 770 PRO and already pre burned in they where a lot better...

Now I am struggling to get up to the 750 standards still with about 35h of pink noise
wink.gif

the 750 sounds so much more natural with voices both male and female from what I am used to with speakers. But I do remember having this hollow sound with lots of reverb on the 750s as well. But it´s a frustrating process anyway. And of course the end result may not be what I expected that is what I am really afraid of of course.

But as mentioned they are bass heavy which drowns out the voices so far compared to the 750 which for me feels better balanced so it hasn´t catched up overall yet
frown.gif

Jan 23, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #565 of 924
I'm not sure how much time I spent doing the overall burn-in. It was frustrating. I 'd just come home some days from work and run them overnight. The final weekend is when I bought the pink noise track and ran it for most of the weekend..maybe 50 hours that weekend. I'd just start the track and throw a pillow over them so that I wouldn't have to listen. I wish they'd just burn them in at the factory....and QA their response before they leave the factory. Look at what they're doing for the HD800...very impressive.

Gowry

Jan 24, 2009 at 1:00 PM Post #567 of 924
just with changing the pads? Hmm interesting.

Jan 24, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #568 of 924
Quote:

just with changing the pads? Hmm interesting.

No, it's a bit more complicated. Just put 2500 pads on it sounds like telephone with kickbass.
You can just install PRo650 pleather-pads and you'll get a Pro900 with less bass, but that was not enough for me and so i'm working with these 2500 pads.
I had a Edition9 for comparison here, so it was much easier to modifiy.

Jan 24, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #569 of 924
Pro2500 + pleather = pro900?? Interesting, you don't care much about the fact that they don't even share the same drivers? Or the fact that the pro900 doesn't have pleather to begin with?

Jan 24, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #570 of 924
Quote:

Pro2500 + pleather = pro900??

No. Pro900 + pleather = Pro900 with less bass

Quote:

Interesting, you don't care much about the fact

Should I?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back