Ultrasone Pro 900 vs. Beyerdynamic DT770 (80 Ohm) *Updated Review
Mar 10, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #16 of 41
Quote:
nope, not the M100, i've only heard the original crossfade, which was pretty good, the m100 is probably better.

for bass songs, especially electronic, the pro 900s are great, but they can sound a little odd with other types of music, cause of their metallic treble and recessed mids, however, its pretty good for most pop/dance. i don't recommend it for anything else though. just bass heavy music.

what do you think are better alternatives at that price range? or would you need to spend more to find something legit?

Mar 10, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #17 of 41
well depends on what u listen to/what ur looking for in the sound, and if you got an amp or not.

here the dt 770/ pro 900 don't need much more than a small desktop amp (fiio amps) or a portable amp, 

Mar 10, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #18 of 41
Thanks for the comments! The Pro 900's are great for dubstep, DnB, or other similar genres. They don't sound bad for other types of music, it's just that there are alternatives that work better with other genres for the price. It really depends on what you listen to the most, and how you want to configure your headphone collection. Since most of the music I listen to is rock, I would not choose the Pro 900's as my only headphone in that price range. But since I have other headphones that work well with rock, I really like the Pro 900's for the different flavor they add to my collection, and how well they work with some of the other genres I listen to.

I'll add the earcup measurements in a bit.

Mar 12, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #20 of 41
Quote:
love it <3 nice review almost making me buy both! i like laid back sound and accurate but also fun bassy sound.. why dont they mix them and make a baby called ultra-beyer dt90-80 pro!! with a small switch switching sound signatures :frowning2:

SUCH A CAN EXIST, it's called thje dt 990 pro 250 :O

but it's semi open so no isolation xD 

Mar 14, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #22 of 41
Quote:
The DT990 are fully open, and DT880 semi closed, but yes, same thing!
biggrin.gif
Poor isolations on those cans.

really the 990s are FULLY open, hmm they isolate about as bad;y as the dt 880 lol

Mar 14, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #23 of 41
Nice review, I tend to agree with your comments about the Ultrasone Pro900, great for bass heads and/or for those looking for a fun signature.
I sold my pair a few months back, instantly regretted it then re-bought them when they came down in price on Amazon.

Great headphone to have around for those times you want to space out to electronic or club music.
Of course, if you never listen to that type of music, or hip-hop or any other sort of bass emphasis music, then they may not be the best for your needs. 

Then again, I did listen to a variety of music with them when they were in my regular rotation, and was often pleasantly surprised at how good they really were. 

Apr 5, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #25 of 41
Great review. I bought the DT770pro-80's about a month ago and I wasn't totally impressed with the neutrality of the cans - meaning I found them MORE neutral than described in reviews. Sure, they have a wider range of audible low frequencies compared to other headphones, but the bass is just not as present as I feel it should be, yet it still muddies up the lower mids. Obviously it's silly to compare speaker listening to headphone listening, but it doesn't change the fact that BASS is what gives the song its liveliness - its heartbeat so to speak. I like to FEEL the music while listening to it. This leads to my issue: finding a set of cans that has a very lively sound signature but without lacking bass.

I recently modded my Grado MS1's into the infamous MS1000's. The MS1's were insanely sibilant and lacking any sort of bass whatsoever. Some may say "duh" to that, given Grado's famous sound signature, but I'm dishing out those adjectives based on my buddy's identical MS1's of which sound phenomenal next to mine. The frustration led me to try to mod them into a similar sounding MS1 that he had. And so, after punching holes in the back of the driver, adding distancers, and dropping another $50 on new pads, I found the ultimate headphone. The sibilance is nearly nonexistent, the mids are beautiful and crisp, but wait...still no bass. I can't stress enough how great these headphones sound, but they just aren't punching my head like a closed can headphone does and they certainly don't have the low frequency range.

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say (my attempt to get back on topic) is that I love the colored sound coming from the Grados as far as mids are concerned, but there is nowhere near enough range at lower frequencies to reproduce the sound or ENERGY that you would get from a good speaker set up. From how you described the 900's in this review, it seems that they also have a very "fun" signature, which is how I would describe the Grados (yes I know that their signatures are completely different, yet I think we can describe both as "colored") and this excites me. Considering I listen to a huge variety of music (classical, rock, new age, indie, etc.) but MOSTLY listen to EDM, I think these will be a perfect fit.

Feel free to ignore this entire post if you feel it is asinine. I'm no audiophile, but I do have a deep obsession with music and I have a hard time describing what I want to say without studying a 100 page glossary of audiophile adjectives. Plus, the only headphones I have that could be considered in the same tier as the 900's are the ones I've described. Either way, great review!

Apr 5, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #26 of 41
I tried the PRO900 a few years ago and it was one of the least pleasant headphone experiences in my life. The sibilance, harshness and the overly cold tonality just makes them literally painful to listen to. The drivers also have lots of very noticeable ringing. Furthermore, from what I've read around on the net and seen from measurements, the drivers in these headphones are often poorly matched. Combine poorly matched drivers with their S-Logic technology and you get very weird and artificial imaging.

The only good things I have to say about the PRO900 is that they have good build quality and great accessories. Otherwise, IMO even the much cheaper M-Audio Q40 bests them in every possible way, including bass.

Apr 6, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #27 of 41
OP, good comparison! The 900's get a lot of criticism, it's helpful to get a non-emotional comparison between them and another set that's often brought up as an alternative recommendation. While I've missed my new SP's since they were away getting repaired, it's not like I can't listen to the 900's now that I know better. They're still good, but like you said, really suited to particular genres.

Apr 12, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #28 of 41
I owned both and still own the DT770 80ohm version. I have yet to hear a better headphone for the money or sound, especially the bass. The Pro900 was way too sharp for me, very piercing mids to highs, clear low end but lacking a lot compared to the DT770s. When I put on the DT770s I feel like I'm in a club. With the Pro 900s I felt like they were causing hearing damage if anything.

Apr 20, 2013 at 6:21 AM Post #29 of 41
Quote:
Great review. I bought the DT770pro-80's about a month ago and I wasn't totally impressed with the neutrality of the cans - meaning I found them MORE neutral than described in reviews. Sure, they have a wider range of audible low frequencies compared to other headphones, but the bass is just not as present as I feel it should be, yet it still muddies up the lower mids. Obviously it's silly to compare speaker listening to headphone listening, but it doesn't change the fact that BASS is what gives the song its liveliness - its heartbeat so to speak. I like to FEEL the music while listening to it. This leads to my issue: finding a set of cans that has a very lively sound signature but without lacking bass.

I recently modded my Grado MS1's into the infamous MS1000's. The MS1's were insanely sibilant and lacking any sort of bass whatsoever. Some may say "duh" to that, given Grado's famous sound signature, but I'm dishing out those adjectives based on my buddy's identical MS1's of which sound phenomenal next to mine. The frustration led me to try to mod them into a similar sounding MS1 that he had. And so, after punching holes in the back of the driver, adding distancers, and dropping another $50 on new pads, I found the ultimate headphone. The sibilance is nearly nonexistent, the mids are beautiful and crisp, but wait...still no bass. I can't stress enough how great these headphones sound, but they just aren't punching my head like a closed can headphone does and they certainly don't have the low frequency range.

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say (my attempt to get back on topic) is that I love the colored sound coming from the Grados as far as mids are concerned, but there is nowhere near enough range at lower frequencies to reproduce the sound or ENERGY that you would get from a good speaker set up. From how you described the 900's in this review, it seems that they also have a very "fun" signature, which is how I would describe the Grados (yes I know that their signatures are completely different, yet I think we can describe both as "colored") and this excites me. Considering I listen to a huge variety of music (classical, rock, new age, indie, etc.) but MOSTLY listen to EDM, I think these will be a perfect fit.

Feel free to ignore this entire post if you feel it is asinine. I'm no audiophile, but I do have a deep obsession with music and I have a hard time describing what I want to say without studying a 100 page glossary of audiophile adjectives. Plus, the only headphones I have that could be considered in the same tier as the 900's are the ones I've described. Either way, great review!

I think you expressed yourself more clearly than most.... Maybe look into some higher end planarmagnetic if you want deep textured bass. If you are not 100% satisfied a little (or a lot) of EQ won't mess up the bass in any way

Apr 20, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #30 of 41
Quote:

I think you expressed yourself more clearly than most.... Maybe look into some higher end planarmagnetic if you want deep textured bass. If you are not 100% satisfied a little (or a lot) of EQ won't mess up the bass in any way

Ironically I just spent all last night modding my new pair of T50RP's. Still have some tweaking to do, but these are awesome! Planar magnetic ftw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back