Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Jul 6, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #4,666 of 5,992
I just bought a pair of Pro 900s off Amazon. $8.99 Next Day Saturday Delivery. Gotta love Prime. 
biggrin.gif

I'm prepared to do the Kees mod after I get a few hours on them. Is there anything else (like a new/revised mod) that you guys would suggest to get the most out of the cans?

Driving them on a Fiio E10, btw. Getting an E17 soonish, but the E10 shouldn't actually be a problem, right?

Jul 6, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #4,667 of 5,992
I used the E10 for quite a while to drive my PRO900. It does the job 
smily_headphones1.gif
 but my Little Dot I+ does the job a lot better 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
I just bought a pair of Pro 900s off Amazon. $8.99 Next Day Saturday Delivery. Gotta love Prime. 
biggrin.gif

I'm prepared to do the Kees mod after I get a few hours on them. Is there anything else (like a new/revised mod) that you guys would suggest to get the most out of the cans?

Driving them on a Fiio E10, btw. Getting an E17 soonish, but the E10 shouldn't actually be a problem, right?

Jul 6, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #4,668 of 5,992
I'm thinking these might be one of my next set of headphones. I love the HFI-780's so I can imagine how much better these must sound.

Jul 6, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #4,669 of 5,992
Quote:
I used the E10 for quite a while to drive my PRO900. It does the job 
smily_headphones1.gif
 but my Little Dot I+ does the job a lot better 
biggrin.gif

Is that what you would suggest in the $100-$150 range? Does that still need a DAC, or would the E10 suffice if I just set it to low gain?

Jul 7, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #4,670 of 5,992
I got my Pro 900s in. Hmmmm. I wish I knew what they were supposed to sound like. I almost think they're fakes. They were Used-Like New from Amazon's Warehouse. Not a third party.
My modded PC350s have lots more bass. Like, un-comparably more. The Pro 900's seems to be more controlled, but, even so, I can even hear a bit a distortion of the mid/highs when the bass hits. Maybe they just need a burn in. The build quality seems really good, the felt pads are nice, the packaging looks legit, it came with the manual, cd, cables, extra pads, but I don't know. I'm kind of disappointed by the sound. Nothing seems to be there like I thought it would.

For reference, here's the PC350 mod.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/406187/modding-the-sennheiser-pc350-headset

The PC350 is built off the HD595, so you can get an idea. The OP in the thread said, with an amp, he was comparing the bass to D2000 and HD265s.

I've only been listening to them about half an hour, though. Maybe my ears just need to get adjusted to the new sound.

EDIT - It turns out the Bass Boost on the E10 is what was causing the distortion. It sounds much better with bass boost off with high gain.
Now that that's better, I can hear the bass a lot more. Down the deepest depths, I can hear it. Wow. It's not as head punching as my PC350s, but those didn't sound very good at all. I will be doing the Kees mod later today. I will just be putting felt pads to cut back the treble and vibrations, no cloth/wool for the bass. And, after a little searching, the E10s aren't very good for the Pro 900s. I will be picking up the E17s soon. I found multiple sources saying E17 + Pro 900 for best bassheadednessess. And I wouldn't want to spent more than about $150. I've been spending too much money as it is. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 8, 2012 at 4:29 AM Post #4,671 of 5,992
Quote:
I will be picking up the E17s soon. I found multiple sources saying E17 + Pro 900 for best bassheadednessess. And I wouldn't want to spent more than about $150. I've been spending too much money as it is. ...
biggrin.gif

I will agree with those that say the E17 works well with the Pro 900.  I can't say if they are the best since I have not tried many other amps with them but they definitely do not hurt them and the versatility of the E17 makes them a great value.

Enjoy your new toys.

Jul 8, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #4,672 of 5,992
Hi all, (first post!)

After reading this thread for a month, I bought a pair of these great headphones. I wanted to ask a rudimentary question which might help me cease my unending fiddle to get the sound I'm looking for.

I mainly listen to Drum and Bass, hence buying these. But somehow I feel I'm missing something - which I think might be my source output. I'm using a Cambridge Audio Azur 340A amplifier (30W) to drive these, coming from a CD source. I must say, overall the sound is great and a big improvement from the Senn HD-25 ii I've upgraded from, but without pushing the 'phones on my ears I feel the bass isn't quite what I expected. Either I have a big head and have a clamping issue, (and I've the read the thread about adjusting to the sweet spot,) or I have a source issue, or I was expecting too much (!)

Could someone let me know if my amp is the weakest link here, or if its my expectations!

Thanks

Jul 8, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #4,673 of 5,992
My Pro 900s are arriving tomorrow or Tuesday. I have a question. Do they come with grey pads? I know there are black ones, but I could've sworn there were grey pads in the box as well... The unboxing vids from last year show black spare pads.

The pic seems to be from a 2010 date, and the reviews I've seen were from last year. Looks like I'm out of luck. I think they look better with grey velours, and was hoping the newer Pro 900s had some in the box.

Jul 9, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #4,674 of 5,992
I think they've always been black haven't they?
I remember earlier that you have to order the grey ones directly from Ultrasone and its expensive like 40euros..
I think they're exactly the same velour so apart from looks should be no difference.

I got my Pro900 pair 2nd hand with Denon pleather pads modded instead of the 2nd pair of velours. The pleathers are pretty comfy & seem to slightly increase bass response but I could be imagining it.

I'll be interested to hear your writeup on these for gaming MadLust :) I reckon they're super fun, but can't say how good the directionality is though 'caus I've only used them in Diablo3 and BF3 which has bad directional audio IMO. Don't have a dolby headphone soundcard either that might improve things combined with the right ingame settings.
These are pretty sweet for closed cans though :)

Jul 9, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #4,675 of 5,992
Quote:
I think they've always been black haven't they?
I remember earlier that you have to order the grey ones directly from Ultrasone and its expensive like 40euros..
I think they're exactly the same velour so apart from looks should be no difference.

I got my Pro900 pair 2nd hand with Denon pleather pads modded instead of the 2nd pair of velours. The pleathers are pretty comfy & seem to slightly increase bass response but I could be imagining it.

I'll be interested to hear your writeup on these for gaming MadLust :) I reckon they're super fun, but can't say how good the directionality is though 'caus I've only used them in Diablo3 and BF3 which has bad directional audio IMO. Don't have a dolby headphone soundcard either that might improve things combined with the right ingame settings.
These are pretty sweet for closed cans though :)

If the Denon pads are any thicker, I could imagine the bass does actually sound better. While fidgeting with the place of my 900s, I put the back of the pads on top of my ear, moving them off my head a little, but still keeping it sealed. I could hear a difference in the "size" of the bass.
I suppose there's more space for the sound to be compressed? I dunno.

Jul 9, 2012 at 7:47 AM Post #4,676 of 5,992
Lol, I bought them specifically to compliment my Denons, BECAUSE I don't like pleather, and my Denon pads get hot and uncomfortable quickly.

Last major headphone I reviewed for gaming was the Pro 2900 which did fine with Dolby Headphone. I expect the same for the Pro 900. The Pro 2900 didn't exactly sound open (that open design didn't really scream 'open' either). I thought they were pretty comfy. I love velours.

Also it seems they had gray spare pads back in like 2010. They must have been changed to all black later on. Oh well.

Jul 9, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #4,677 of 5,992
Has anyone used their pro 900s with the schiit asgard? I just gave my fiio e17 to my brother and i have to find an amp to replace it. From what i've read, the asgard seems like a good amp for the price, but i haven't seen anything about the synergy between the two..

Jul 9, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #4,678 of 5,992
Quote:
Has anyone used their pro 900s with the schiit asgard? I just gave my fiio e17 to my brother and i have to find an amp to replace it. From what i've read, the asgard seems like a good amp for the price, but i haven't seen anything about the synergy between the two..

From what I've read, the E17 + Pro 900 has almost perfect synergy. The FiiO is more warm and since 900s aren't particularly hard to drive, they compliment each other well. I'm not sure about the asgard.

Jul 10, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #4,679 of 5,992
I ordered my E17 and it will be here tomorrow. Since I got my 900s, I've been doing a lot of EQ tweaks. I've changed it a little, but this is more or less what it looks like now I think it sounds wonderful.

But, I suspect that, once I start using the E17, I'll be needing to readjust this graph. Do you think the EQ'd bass (it's about 2db) would interfere with the bass gain on the amp? I would imagine so, and I'd also imagine the gain from the amp itself is better than software raised db levels. Since the treble adjust on the E17 isn't configurable to specific frequencies, I'll probably just keep it at 0 and use this graph for the treble and mids.
Any input?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back