Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Sep 17, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #2,972 of 5,992

Quote:
The pro900 change quite a bit with burn-in. They never become quite as smooth and tight as the pro2900, but I think you should give them time, before drawing any conclusions.

I've done an almost 180 from my initial impression of the 900's (anyone who cares and simply look at my posts though my profile).  Burn in is a factor, but the largest contributors I think are a) having an amp (doesn't have to be $$$$ either) and b) source material that is no lower than 320kbps. I'm not currently in a situation though that would allow me to use an open-aired set at the volumes I generally listen to things with a closed set.  Plus, I need the isolation as well from external noise.  I'd be interested in how the 2900's compare as well, but probably wouldn't even be able to use them in the short term anyway.

Take my word for it (or not), the sibilance does not entirely go away, but it drastically improves over time.  There is no longer any of that ear-peircing metallic sound on anything, and drums mostly sound like "drums" being played with sticks, not wire brushes.  The "bloaty" bass has tightended up considerably too, and listening to music that has the bass guitar recorded well in the mix is sublime.

Sep 17, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #2,973 of 5,992
Leander7777: Do you still have the 900s? These cups seem a lot smaller on the 2900s, or is it just the pads?? Either way, I'm having none of the loose positioning issues that I had with the Pro 900s, which always drove me nuts searching for that sweet spot. Just another positive in the 2900s arsenal. So far the only thing 'better' with the 900s is the bass impact, which I suppose is to be expected with their closed design. Even so, my basshead gf still likes these quite a bit more as well. Still burning in, more impressions down the line...

-Daniel

Sep 18, 2011 at 3:29 AM Post #2,974 of 5,992
I think I may have found the definitive "Pro 900" album, one that shows off everything the Ultrasones do well.  

Mixmag Presents: Sub Focus Future Bass!

An amazing compilation of drum n bass and dubstep.  Each song is mixed excellently with the next and they all deliver deep, hard hitting, fast-paced bass.  Check it out.

(The link is to a downloadable file, which could very well be against Head-Fi's policy.  I don't want to get the site in trouble, nor myself, so if anyone knows if this isn't allowed, just let me know and I"ll remove the link).

Sep 18, 2011 at 4:53 AM Post #2,975 of 5,992
Yes, I still have both pairs. I find that the pro2900 are a bit more comfortable, due to their lighter build and softer ear pads, but the difference isn't too big. As for the sound, I think the bass improves a lot with burn-in. I was quite disappointed with the bass, when I first got the pro2900. It was articulate and deep, but lacked body and impact. After about 200 hours of burn-in, I wouldn't consider them as bassy as the pro900, but I surely think they have improved and in some aspects have managed to outshine the pro900's bass.
Moreover, it seems that most members on this thread listen to a lot of EDM, in which case I'd definitely recommend them to stick with the pro900, as they suit that genre better. In the end, I find that both have their advantages. The pro900 are very fun headphones, and really shine with electronic music. For everything else, however, the pro2900 are a lot better...
Quote:
Leander7777: Do you still have the 900s? These cups seem a lot smaller on the 2900s, or is it just the pads?? Either way, I'm having none of the loose positioning issues that I had with the Pro 900s, which always drove me nuts searching for that sweet spot. Just another positive in the 2900s arsenal. So far the only thing 'better' with the 900s is the bass impact, which I suppose is to be expected with their closed design. Even so, my basshead gf still likes these quite a bit more as well. Still burning in, more impressions down the line...

-Daniel

Sep 18, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #2,976 of 5,992
These are my impressions as well. Most people consider the Pro 2900 just an 'open' Pro 900-but I feel they are are different enough to own each if one wanted to do so. The more my 2900s are burning in, it seems to be quite a great all-arounder, whereas the 900 seemed very limited to just couple of genres. I relied on the 900s primarily as my movie/gaming cans, and very little for music since I don't really listen to EDM. I am enjoying the 2900s a great deal more, and the only area they are behind in is bass impact-but then again I'm not running them out of an amp atm. Long story short-the 2900 really aren't that similar to the Pro 900s as one might expect. They seem much more refined, neutral, and natural sounding. The Pro 900s are definitely more aggressive, sibilant (ugh), and not as refined in comparison, but certainly better for electronica, and worse for everything else. Not that the 2900 aren't good for electronica by any means...I should just wait til I get them hooked up to an appropriate amp before saying more lol. My still early .02 :wink:

-Daniel

Sep 18, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #2,977 of 5,992
Nice, I'm really glad we FINALLY have some 900 vs 2900 comparisons. If I were to get one it would most likely be the 2900. I gotta have my open-back!

Sep 18, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #2,978 of 5,992
I too am glad for the 2900/900 comparison. I am a happy owner of a pro 900 and at the moment looking for an open back to compliment it. It seems the 2900 should fit the bill. I was actually looking at the HD650 as well. Being as that I haven't heard either of the two, what would be a better all around headphone, hd650 or 2900? I listen to all kinds of music so any suggestions would be great, thanks.

Sep 18, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #2,979 of 5,992

Quote:
I too am glad for the 2900/900 comparison. I am a happy owner of a pro 900 and at the moment looking for an open back to compliment it. It seems the 2900 should fit the bill. I was actually looking at the HD650 as well. Being as that I haven't heard either of the two, what would be a better all around headphone, hd650 or 2900? I listen to all kinds of music so any suggestions would be great, thanks.

imo both HP has a neutral- dark sound signature.. the hd650 will give you a laid back, smooth, easy going sound while pro 2900 is more detailed, aggressive "ultrasone" sounding, and impactful .. both HP do well in most of the music genre it depends on how you want your music to sounds to.. hd650 will have edge in midrange oriented and bad recorded songs because of its smooth nature,, the pro 2900 excel in music that demand speed and precision like metal, edm, or fusion/instrumental jazz.. 

Quote:

-Daniel

the pro 2900 has a smaller cup than the pro 900,, its even smaller than the pro 2500 that i also had.. and i agree that the pro 2900 is easier to adjust the "sweet spot" because the pads is smaller and so the room inside the pads,, so it will make your ear place in the center most of the time just like what it intended to ware..

Sep 19, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #2,980 of 5,992
I think that is the biggest downside to the Pro 900s for me, finding that sweet spot.  It takes a good 30 seconds when I first put them on to get it right, and then I adjust them often.  I just want a headphone I can put on and forget about.  Maybe the D2000 will satisfy that need.

Sep 19, 2011 at 4:18 AM Post #2,981 of 5,992
These things continue to impress! A couple more brief impressions...I don't find the mids recessed AT ALL on these. In no way whatsoever does the bass intrude on the mids-even my silver pads Pro 900 couldn't make that claim! These really do have a very neutral presentation to my ears. I think I'd honestly say they may even be a tiny bit mid-forward...and I haven't really noticed any hint of sibilance believe it or not. I'm currently around 100 hours of burn in. I have only listened to them off and on during burn in...and so far the biggest changes came in the first 24 hours. They do keep getting more refined (although my Qinpu Q-2 amp is burning in with it) by the day. However, I just have the crap stock tube, and it doesn't really sound any different than my (very neutral) vintage Kenwood KA-3500 headphone output....stay tuned!

Jibbie: I've also said my biggest 900 complaint was finding the sweet spot since the cups always kinda slid around on me. These are 100% stable at all times for me-and they do not exhibit that problem whatsoever. Thanks to Sansant for confirming the smaller cup sizes!

Also: They still are definitely lacking in bass impact compared to the 900s-but take that with a big grain of salt since I haven't heard them out of a proper SS amp yet, like I did with the 900s.

Sep 19, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #2,982 of 5,992
Jmoney denon pads also help with that.

Quote:
I think that is the biggest downside to the Pro 900s for me, finding that sweet spot.  It takes a good 30 seconds when I first put them on to get it right, and then I adjust them often.  I just want a headphone I can put on and forget about.  Maybe the D2000 will satisfy that need.

Sep 19, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #2,983 of 5,992
These are my impressions as well. Most people consider the Pro 2900 just an 'open' Pro 900-but I feel they are are different enough to own each if one wanted to do so. The more my 2900s are burning in, it seems to be quite a great all-arounder, whereas the 900 seemed very limited to just couple of genres. I relied on the 900s primarily as my movie/gaming cans, and very little for music since I don't really listen to EDM. I am enjoying the 2900s a great deal more, and the only area they are behind in is bass impact-but then again I'm not running them out of an amp atm. Long story short-the 2900 really aren't that similar to the Pro 900s as one might expect. They seem much more refined, neutral, and natural sounding. The Pro 900s are definitely more aggressive, sibilant (ugh), and not as refined in comparison, but certainly better for electronica, and worse for everything else. Not that the 2900 aren't good for electronica by any means...I should just wait til I get them hooked up to an appropriate amp before saying more lol. My still early .02 :wink:

-Daniel

For all you funksters "sibilant" = neurofunk epic gold

...move along nothing to see here

Sep 20, 2011 at 4:19 AM Post #2,984 of 5,992
@Daniel: I don't necessarily think that the pro2900 are more refined than the pro900. The pro2900 just seem that way because of their open design, which makes them sound cleaner.

Sep 20, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #2,985 of 5,992
You're probably right-I just don't have much experience at all with closed headphones. The 2900s are definitely smoother , airier, and more neutral-so I guess that's what I was getting at. BTW, what amps have you used with the 2900s, and which do you feel is the best?

-Daniel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back