Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Sep 10, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #2,866 of 5,992
Awesome! It's taken a while, but I think I've finally decided to keep the pro 2900 in place of the pro 900. They do everything the pro 900, but better.
Burn-in makes a HUGE difference, I believe, even more so than with the pro 900. I didn't really like them from the get go.
Make sure to play bright tunes at a pretty high volume, to tame the highs. I used white noise.

Quote:
Guys my Pro 2900s will be arriving Tuesday! Con't wait to see/hear the differences between them and the 900s! Of course I'll post plenty of impressions, mainly after 4-5 days of burn in just to make sure. :wink:

-Daniel

Sep 10, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #2,867 of 5,992

Quote:
Thanks.

And also, I know some people don't believe in burn-in, but I do, and I'm reaching now about 200 hours on my Pro 900 and the bass has really tighten up! I'm listening to Trolley Snatcher - Scattah, and wow
basshead.gif

Yeah, I didn't believe in the "you have to burn them inside of a vacuum for ten light-years, while also having pure titanium cables that were forged in the fires of Mount Doom connected to a flux capacitor powered amp" mentality either.

However, I thought that I noticed a decent change after the 40 or so hour mark (absolutely hated the 900's at first).  Assumed amping would "fix" some issues, and tooled around amping them with a reciever.  That sort of helped, but not enough so I went ahead and just picked up the E9 when they were on sale.  That helped quite a bit, but things were still not perfect.  I'm not entirely sure when I stopped noticing the really annoying sibilance, but I've either just gotten used to it, or these phones really have broken in enough after almost two months.  There are still many parts of songs that sound too trebly, but not in the previously ultra annoying way, and everything else just sounds more distinct now.

(hmm, the edit won't let me write anything below Jibbie's quote, so I'll just do it above)

I think if you're looking for a $300+ headphone that sounds like a $300+ headphone catered towards your particular genre of choice, then that's probably true.  However, I don't believe they sound bad at all any longer with metal.  Initially they annoyed the Hell out of me and felt like a waste of money.  Not any longer; although I'm not sure if they were worth the cost for metal and classical.  I do know that I'd never buy another pair of Sennheiser 280's though, even if they are more "value" based all rounders.  I haven't been able to stomach using them after about the fifth week of owning the 900's.
Quote:
I've said this many times, but I'm happy to repeat it so that interested Pro 900 buyers are not disappointed.  If EDM isn't you're primary genre, look elsewhere.

Sep 11, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #2,868 of 5,992
JMoney earpads ^^

The method I use to align the pads with the plastic socket is very simple. I used a small sticky pointing upwards on both the pad and the socket. Then I put glue on the socket and aligned the socket and pad via the stickies.

To those who wonder how the pads alter the sound:
If you're using standard pads just push the speakers against your ears so you get better isolation. This results mainly in the bass becoming more present and still controlled. If you're like me and equalize the Pro 900 to produce a more present bass you won't have to do that as much with the JMoney pads to achieve the same bass presence. It also sound more controlled than what you'd be able to do with an equalizer. I must say I have not noticed any improvements regarding sound stage, mids, sibilance, etc. These elements are still the same. The only practical differences are the more present bass, which I like a lot, and the added comfort, which is a huge step up from the stock pads even though I never found the stock pads uncomfortable. The JMoney pads are definitely recommendable, but they're not a godsent all-round improvement like many want you to believe. They do have their perks (isolation, bass, comfort, looks), but lets stay realistic people :)

Sep 11, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #2,872 of 5,992
I actually expected someone to comment on that :D
It was the only way I could turn the cups 90 degrees :)

Quote:
You shocked me there, for a second. I thought you switched L and R, but you actually turned the whole headphone for the second photo, haha.

Sep 11, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #2,873 of 5,992

Quote:

To those who wonder how the pads alter the sound:
If you're using standard pads just push the speakers against your ears so you get better isolation.

^ I was hoping someone would say that about the j$ pads, now I'm going to get them for sure =P I like to do that all the time but its annoying having to press them against my ear. It also makes the bass much much better.

Sep 12, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #2,876 of 5,992
Quote:
Man, these leather earpads and hot weather don't mix. At all. Kind of regretting my JMoney purchase. 

Can't be as bad as this AZ weather over here. And if you ever want to sell, then you know who to PM
wink_face.gif

Sep 13, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #2,878 of 5,992

Users who are viewing this thread

Back