ULTRASONE NEW ANNOUNCED HEADPHONE Signature Pro
Feb 16, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #376 of 2,431
Having only put approx 12 hours on mine so far I still stand by my initial impressions...so far, these HPs Rock.  For my daily Darkwave/ElectroGoth fix these are just what the doctor ordered.  I will post further impressions as the weeks develop (I know you are all waiting with bated breath..LOL).

This headphone gets alot right cant really pick out many flaws.  Looks as if I may be a Sig Pro fanboi in the making... time will tell.

Feb 16, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #377 of 2,431

Quote:
I never heard D7000/Ed9/R10, so I can't judge on that. I would use D2000 unamped. (the only one I tried among the denon series.)

I use Ipod -> C421 -> Sig pro. I had Clas, but it's not working atm.

To me at some time during the run-in, the treble/high is really harsh and did hurt my ears.

The first 2-300 hours of burning I was just putting it under white noise in low volume, so I didn't know how it sounded.
But I do realize sometimes it may go sounding harsh.
Like just 1 or 2 days ago the treble goes really harsh, and sometimes I had to turn down the volume a bit. It is around 800hours sth.
However I found the signature pro's treble/high is smooth and comfort to me for most of the time, so I would not suggest it as a HP which highs are harsh.

Feb 16, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #378 of 2,431
about the burn-in issue/experience.  to me, ultrasone need lot of burn-in.  both phyically(the headphones) and mentally(brain burn-in).  i remember i hated the hfi-780 when i first got them.  used a lot of time/method to burn-in the headphones.  i think it did help but not quite.  i gave up for a while.  still use them on and off.  probably took me a year?  i finally love hfi-780 since. now, this signature pro.  i think i got around 200 hours on it. sound very good already.  maybe i finally got used to ultrasone?  maybe(of course) this is a better product? 

Feb 16, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #381 of 2,431
In my opinion, they are all mental.

According to engineers, the break-in effect should not be happening, because if there is a break-in effect, that means there is a malfunction with the system.

For me, it doesn't make sense that the sound gets better when you use the headphone more often. Think about it for a second. Does it make sense for an electrical machine to get better as it's being used?

It's like saying a TV or a computer get's better as it's being used.

It's not like it's human muscle where you can build up.

However, I do agree on the mental part. As you use the same headphone more often, you actually can concentrate on the sounds that each different headphone delivers. For me Sig pro does sound better everyday. About the sh.. sound that I talked about in the previous threads, are disappearing as I use more often. Further I realized when I turn the volume a bit more, it sounds really good. (Can't even be compared to SRH 940, which I thought was one of the best closed headphone in the market.)

My volume was as loud as 40% directly connected to Ipod. Now if I go up around 60%, it just sounds amazing. Because S-logic system makes the headphone sound like it's a distance away from your ears, you actually have to turn the volume a bit louder to feel the music at the same level as previous use.

Right now, I'm enjoying my headphone a lot, even though I still can't be convinced that it worth more than a thousand tho.

Feb 16, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #382 of 2,431

Quote:
one more thing, anybody using a stationary amp(s) for this headphone? 

I tried them with my peachtree audio decco2 and woo audio wa6se... but needless to say the sig pros do well straight out of a portable source like a laptop or iPod.

Feb 16, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #383 of 2,431

Quote:
Out of curiosity, how do you separate mental and physical (or "genuine") burn-in? Where does the line between the two get drawn? How can you tell it's not all mental?

so you're saying it's phyical? 
wink.gif

Feb 16, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #384 of 2,431

Quote:
In my opinion, they are all mental.

According to engineers, the break-in effect should not be happening, because if there is a break-in effect, that means there is a malfunction with the system.

For me, it doesn't make sense that the sound gets better when you use the headphone more often. Think about it for a second. Does it make sense for an electrical machine to get better as it's being used?

It's like saying a TV or a computer get's better as it's being used.

It's not like it's human muscle where you can build up.

However, I do agree on the mental part. As you use the same headphone more often, you actually can concentrate on the sounds that each different headphone delivers. For me Sig pro does sound better everyday. About the sh.. sound that I talked about in the previous threads, are disappearing as I use more often. Further I realized when I turn the volume a bit more, it sounds really good. (Can't even be compared to SRH 940, which I thought was one of the best closed headphone in the market.)

My volume was as loud as 40% directly connected to Ipod. Now if I go up around 60%, it just sounds amazing. Because S-logic system makes the headphone sound like it's a distance away from your ears, you actually have to turn the volume a bit louder to feel the music at the same level as previous use.

Right now, I'm enjoying my headphone a lot, even though I still can't be convinced that it worth more than a thousand tho.

sometimes i wonder if someone said burn-in help and the other one instantly think ooh the guy is saying burn-in would change the sound.  me, i'm only saying the/a headphones need certain amount of time/burn-in to sound its best.  after that, it's "just that". 

ultrasone, i think it does better with both phyical and mental burn-in.  really the more the better.  as for other brand, using beyer as an example, the dt series, specially the 600 ohm versions, it probably takes, 8 10 hours to sound their 80% best.  30 hours to reach their max. grado, i think they take about 8 10 hours to sound their 80% best, might take longer, much longer time to get their best.  i guess maybe low impedance headphones take longer to "mature".

Feb 16, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #385 of 2,431

Quote:
I tried them with my peachtree audio decco2 and woo audio wa6se... but needless to say the sig pros do well straight out of a portable source like a laptop or iPod.

i like what i got from all my portable amps and the headphones certainly sound much better, no, a whole new level with stationary amps.  even a simple corda head-fi with xbox sound so very good. 

Feb 16, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #387 of 2,431
I don't think the Sig Pros are that bright, they can be bright on bright tracks, but they are pretty neutral (i think)..

Something I have noticed with A/B testing with my amps and straight out of my computer, I don't think the Sig Pros scale up as much as more power hungry headphones, or even my D7000s. I actually prefer the way they are sounding straight out of my laptop.. Sound is smoother with more bass thump. Some more micro details come through when amped, but I'm not really missing them.

Another thing, the S-Logic is much less pronounced than in the Pro 2900s. My D7000s actually do 3D imaging better, maybe because the pads are thicker and the drivers are farther from my ear. I don't know if the Sig Pros open up significantly with further burn in, but so far they sound pretty closed in.

I'm going to let them burn in more and I'll have a better/full review with the D7000s and 2900s.

Feb 16, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #388 of 2,431
Do these headphones have colored sound like I have heard Ultrasone's other headphones do? I am not certain but I might instead buy Beyerdynamic T5p's because Ultrasone hasn't been in the biz very long at all and Beyer has. Which pair of headphones has the least coloration of sound?

Feb 16, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #390 of 2,431

Quote:

sometimes i wonder if someone said burn-in help and the other one instantly think ooh the guy is saying burn-in would change the sound.  me, i'm only saying the/a headphones need certain amount of time/burn-in to sound its best.  after that, it's "just that". 

ultrasone, i think it does better with both phyical and mental burn-in.  really the more the better.  as for other brand, using beyer as an example, the dt series, specially the 600 ohm versions, it probably takes, 8 10 hours to sound their 80% best.  30 hours to reach their max. grado, i think they take about 8 10 hours to sound their 80% best, might take longer, much longer time to get their best.  i guess maybe low impedance headphones take longer to "mature".

Everyday I listened to these HP for about10 sth hours, and did hear some changes from time to time. I would say each time the changes may not be a large difference, and it did not change much on its sound signature, but one thing I realized is it becomes more friendly with unamped sources, like xk or notebook.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back