ULTRASONE NEW ANNOUNCED HEADPHONE Signature Pro
Aug 2, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #1,711 of 2,431
OK.  Something is not right with my posting.  When I submit, whamo double post.

EDIT: Posting from my PC.  I will pay particular attention to my mouse clicks, however I can't se how one can click the submit button twice and the system would allow two postings. It doesn't happen when I edit.

[size=18pt]˅[/size]

Aug 3, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #1,712 of 2,431
Do you post from a smartphone? When I do so I also double post. I you are on a PC or MAC then your mouse button could be the root cause.

Aug 7, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #1,713 of 2,431
Quote:
It worked as I'd hoped. Edition 8 is a step up and clearly more comfy to my ears. What a portable solution!

Is that because it has a more crisp sound?

I ask because I was thinking of getting the Edition 8 (and selling a Grado RS1 - bought new in about 2006, and hardly used, plus a 2007 or so Grado GS1000, with Jenalabs 18AWG Cryo cable - 10 feet long with 1/4 inch jack; both great if you like Grado, but now superseded in my collection - hardly ever used).

But I have for the last week been using a new Oyaide cable for the Sig Pro, which has made the sound (as compared with the stock cable) crisper, tighter, and probably comparable to that of the Ed 8.

However, being a lover of music and loving great headphone sound, I might just get the Ed 8 anyway, but possibly with Moon replacement cables. So, in what way is the (presumably with stock cable) Ed 8 better than the Sig Pro (presumably with stock cable)?

Aug 7, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #1,714 of 2,431
Is that because it has a more crisp sound?

I ask because I was thinking of getting the Edition 8 (and selling a Grado RS1 - bought new in about 2006, and hardly used, plus a 2007 or so Grado GS1000, with Jenalabs 18AWG Cryo cable - 10 feet long with 1/4 inch jack; both great if you like Grado, but now superseded in my collection - hardly ever used).

But I have for the last week been using a new Oyaide cable for the Sig Pro, which has made the sound (as compared with the stock cable) crisper, tighter, and probably comparable to that of the Ed 8.

However, being a lover of music and loving great headphone sound, I might just get the Ed 8 anyway, but possibly with Moon replacement cables. So, in what way is the (presumably with stock cable) Ed 8 better than the Sig Pro (presumably with stock cable)?

Both stock cables, yes. Now keep in mind I liked the Sig Pro a lot, just wanted a TOTL phone with comfort (traded it for a D7000).

Comfort clearly better. Sig Pro pads after half an hour made me want to rip them off my head.

Slightly more bass out of the box. Not a basshead level but stronger than Pro and I'm a confirmed bass lover.

Portability. The Edition 8 have got to be the most compact, sleek portable option there is out there. I had the M-100 and these blow them away in every way including portability.

Looks. Amazing. Not that it matters but these are gorgeous.

Aug 7, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #1,715 of 2,431
Quote:

There are two significant subjective factors in play here.  The first is that an aftermarket cable makes a difference to the sound quality (let's not go there).  If you think so, then that is all that counts I guess.  The second is that an ED8 is "better" than a Sig Pro.

I think that "better" is one of the most overused and misrepresented words on the forum.  The differences between then ED8 and Sig Pro are not significant IMO (based on my memory of the ED8) and  it will simply depend on preference (and maybe wishful thinking bias) as to sound preference of the two. I personally find the Sig Pro the slightly more natural and neutral sound of the Ultrasones, and that is not to say that I couldn't live with an Edition.  Neither are totally neutral or natural sounding headphones, both are coloured IMO, it is just that I find the colouration of both pleasing (musical).  The Sig pro is my preference out of the two, and I think that performance wise the Pro is particularly "better" from protable source, the gap is less on a well amped/sourced system IMO.

Aug 7, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #1,716 of 2,431

Aug 7, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #1,717 of 2,431
Quote:

Maybe you need a new mouse?
popcorn.gif

Aug 7, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #1,718 of 2,431
Quote:
There are two significant subjective factors in play here.  The first is that an aftermarket cable makes a difference to the sound quality (let's not go there).  If you think so, then that is all that counts I guess.  The second is that an ED8 is "better" than a Sig Pro.

I think that "better" is one of the most overused and misrepresented words on the forum.  The differences between then ED8 and Sig Pro are not significant IMO (based on my memory of the ED8) and  it will simply depend on preference (and maybe wishful thinking bias) as to sound preference of the two. I personally find the Sig Pro the slightly more natural and neutral sound of the Ultrasones, and that is not to say that I couldn't live with an Edition.  Neither are totally neutral or natural sounding headphones, both are coloured IMO, it is just that I find the colouration of both pleasing (musical).  The Sig pro is my preference out of the two, and I think that performance wise the Pro is particularly "better" from protable source, the gap is less on a well amped/sourced system IMO.

You are so right.  Differences are just that - differences.  Well said.  Some things to each person are better (like the comfort of the Edition 8 over the Sig Pro TO ME) but good point. 

Aug 8, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #1,719 of 2,431
Thanks for both replies to my query. On cables and subjectivity (I know you said don't go there, but I can't resist it!), I can only go on the differences heard by me after a direct comparison, which is easy with the Sig Pro, since all you have to do is listen with one cable, take it out, plug the other in, and see if there are differences. I heard some significant differences, when I was ready to hear very little difference. And in my experience (which could of course be mistaken) different loudspeaker cables sound significantly different, as do mains cables: as tested by swapping mains cables with a friend listening too - he heard a major difference. But then he is willing to hear differences in cable sound.

On the differences between the headphones, many thanks: it sounds as if I don't need to try the Edition 8.

Aug 8, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #1,720 of 2,431
I am so curious to hear these and see if I would consider them in the same league as Ed8s. Of course on the Sig Pro thread it would be considered so but hope they show up in Southern California at one point so I get a change to a/b. it is like how on many threads you hear how this or that phone is in the hd800 leave, comparing somewhat inferior phones to the standard saying it is a matter of taste but when I hear the contenders I just smile and walk away. On the other hand ultrasone hits homers sometimes so it's possible that these are just a different flavor.

Aug 9, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #1,721 of 2,431
I lived with and liked the Ed8 for some time (bit over 12 months I think) and there is no doubt in my mind that the Sig Pro is at the same level as the Edition.  As I have stated, I prefer the Sig Pro, albeit that preference is based on memory but referenced to other top tier headphones.  The Sig Pro not unlike the Ed8 is not just a great closed headphone, it is a great headphone; that has comparable sound quality to T1 and LCD2.  As a portable, from my memory it out performs the Ed8.  I find that the difference from portable source with the Signature to my home rig is not considerable.

Aug 9, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #1,722 of 2,431
If you compare the measurements on Inner Fidelity for both cans, then you can see that the %THD+ noise and the square waves are better controlled on the Signature Pro. Also the Frequency response is slightly different in the region above 1k. If you are  overly sensitive to these frequencies then the Signature Pro is more for you. The specs of the driver itself seems to be equal. So the differences are done by tuning the drivers housing and the pads. To me the Sig Pro is the newer and more refined design. This seems to be lessons learned from the ED 10 critics.
And if you like more bass by keeping the good controlled rest of the sound signature, I can only recommend the Signature DJ. I have both and still cannot decide which one to prefer.

blink.gif

Aug 9, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #1,724 of 2,431
beerchug.gif

Oct 3, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #1,725 of 2,431
Is there anyone who uses an hrt microstreamer as Dac/amp here ? It really seems to be a perfect combo to my ears. 
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back