Ultrasone hfi780 are the best rock headphones? what?
Jun 12, 2009 at 7:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

HiFiRE

100+ Head-Fier
I'd like to share how I've come to the conclusion that the Ultrasone hfi 780 are my favorite headphone for rock, metal, and most recordings I own.

I'm now going to attempt to recall all the expensive equipment I've owned in chronological order:
  1. Sennheiser hd570 (kept)
  2. Chaintech av710 (kept)
  3. Gilmore Light (resold)
  4. Sennheiser hd650 (resold)
  5. Grado 325i (resold)
  6. Emu 0404 (kept)
  7. Millett Hybrid amp (kept)
  8. Sennheiser hd595 (kept)
  9. Grado 225 (resold)
  10. Sennheiser px100 (kept)
  11. Headroom Desktop Amp+DAC (kept)
  12. AKG k701 (kept)
  13. AKG k81dj (broke)
  14. Ultrasone hfi 650 (kept)
  15. Beyerdynamic dt990 (resold)
  16. Ultrasone hfi 780 (kept)

Preferred rig: Headroom Desktop AMP+DAC -> NAD 2100 -> Paradigm Titans
Preferred rig when speakers aren't appropriate: Headroom Desktop AMP+DAC -> hfi 780

Hopefully that list tells the story itself. I started out with the most commonly recommended headphones from the time, then tried my first ultrasone in Bangkok and got hooked on that sound. I've pretty much abandoned all my other gear since.

What I've learned from this adventure:
  1. I strongly dislike bright headphones (Grado + Beyerdynamic).
  2. Open headphones have no bass, sorry.
  3. My tinnitus is obvious with closed cans.
  4. Detail is overrated.
  5. Source is very important.
  6. Speakers are almost always better.
  7. Bullet points don't make an interesting story.

The hfi 780 with the headroom amp+dac is the most synergistic set of headphone equipment that I've tried to date. It isn't too bright. It isn't too warm. Lows, mids and highs all sound balanced. It isn't too upfront and isn't too distant. The soundstage isn't artificially large and it doesn't sound too small. There's no sibilance. The bass has weight and impact though I find it fairly fast. The timbre of instruments sounds natural. It sounds good, eh.

Now that I've (mis)used all the audiophile terms I know I say thank you to the head-fi community and I hope you find a sound you like as much as I like the one I've found.

Please don't recommend me a new headphone unless it's a more comfortable hfi 780!

Jun 12, 2009 at 7:59 AM Post #2 of 14
Yeah I love my HFI-780 too, they're very good for the price and not hard to drive. Still contemplating replacing the pads with the DT250 velours.

Jun 12, 2009 at 8:24 AM Post #4 of 14
For rock and metal, I preferred RS1 and Pro 900 over HFI780. Maybe you want to try Pro 900?

Jun 12, 2009 at 11:15 AM Post #5 of 14
Had the RS1 and MSPro for a few days they were too harsh for Rock and Metal. I think the mids annoyed me to hell.

Jun 12, 2009 at 11:31 AM Post #6 of 14
The 780s are very good indeed, especially for the price of admission. One of the great deals in headfi. I think you should get the velours though as an inexpensive tweak, especially if it's a keeper on the long term.

Jun 12, 2009 at 12:16 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio 1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it worth getting the ALO upgraded HiFi 780's vs. the stock?

If you use the search button you'll find it's debatable.

Jun 12, 2009 at 12:21 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio 1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it worth getting the ALO upgraded HiFi 780's vs. the stock?

Recabling is expensive, I'd say a good alternative is to get the Pro 900 and just Kees mod it for free. It might or might not sound better than the ALO-780 but it is cheaper if you find a cheap one and you always have the possibility of recabling the Pro 900 to even the playing field. But stock cable+Kees mod= oooo.

Jun 12, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #11 of 14
I am listening to my ALO-780s right now and they sound so good even with the volume low, right now i am listening to The Devil Wears Prada's new album and the 780s just sound amazing.

I only listened to the stock 780's for a little bit and my recabled one sound better but i dont know if it is worth the extra 200 hundred or so dollars i paid.

But to my surprise i got to audition the ed 8's for a little while and they were better than my 780s but it definitely wasn't night and day

Jun 12, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #12 of 14
I love my HFI-780's with the soft pads from the DT250. The phones sound great, are at a great price and seem to do a lot of musical styles quite well. Imho, there are better phones for classical, jazz, electronica and rock, all of which I listen to. But not at this price and these phones can pretty much do a decent to great job with all the types of music I may listen to.

They have a nice fun factor to them as well. One can really enjoy good music with these cans. Sorry that I can't describe it better than that.

I use mine at work, where I don't want to use more expensive headphones for fear of the weekend cleaning crew.

Jun 12, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You need to talk first about what type of rock you are listening to, cause for your Porcupine Tree and Pink Floyd detail is anything but overrated.

Yeah i agree with what you are saying and with certain bands and types or rock that details are important. But i think that the 780s present music in such a fun way. PLus it doesnt hurt that i listen to mostly screamo and post hardcore which isnt the most detailed genre of rock in the first place

Users who are viewing this thread

Back